Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply PathWays
Generalized Chaos Magick, An Attempt at [Under Construction] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Iosonos

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:27 pm
Hmm, am I insane?! yeah, I think I am. I just realized I forgot how many different aspects I'm going to have to talk about.

well, I guess i'll go over some of the larger takes on it, ie
the Kaos-Babalon current take (Joel Biroco)
the IOS (If anyone has been in the order, or knows more about it, i'd love to know, i'm working on mostly older sources).
the Discordians
Chaosism
Anti-IOS movement (Zee List, and other BBS-like movements).  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:30 pm
Iosonos
Hmm, am I insane?! yeah, I think I am. I just realized I forgot how many different aspects I'm going to have to talk about.

the IOS (If anyone has been in the order, or knows more about it, i'd love to know, i'm working on mostly older sources).
the Discordians
Chaosism
Why would you lump the Discordians under Chaos Magic in general? Would it not be closer to think of it as being akin to Zen?  

TeaDidikai

Deandriea

Nerd

12,050 Points
  • Healer 50
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:25 pm
TeaDidikai
Iosonos

the Discordians
Chaosism
Why would you lump the Discordians under Chaos Magic in general? Would it not be closer to think of it as being akin to Zen?
Zen for roundeyes is one of our nicknames, but you know, Eris and her Chaos means we at least merit mention. I corresponded with a Discordian who casts pentagons of protection using a plastic cafeteria spork.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:43 pm
Deandriea
TeaDidikai
Iosonos

the Discordians
Chaosism
Zen for roundeyes is one of our nicknames, but you know, Eris and her Chaos means we at least merit mention. I corresponded with a Discordian who casts pentagons of protection using a plastic cafeteria spork.

What I am wondering is why Discordia is classed under Chaos Magic when any religion can have Chaos Magicians within it.

Case in point: Tsuzuki, the Mormon-Catholic Chaos Mage.  

TeaDidikai

Tsuzuki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:25 pm
TeaDidikai
Deandriea
TeaDidikai
Iosonos

the Discordians
Chaosism

What I am wondering is why Discordia is classed under Chaos Magic when any religion can have Chaos Magicians within it.

Case in point: Tsuzuki, the Mormon-Catholic Chaos Mage.
You make the assumption that I am not also a Discordian, and that it is not through Discordian ideas that I am able to pull this whole thing off.

Interestingly enough, one of the founders of the Discordian movement also had a Mormon background. Suddenly, the modern religious landscape gets very interesting.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:29 am
Tsuzuki
You make the assumption that I am not also a Discordian, and that it is not through Discordian ideas that I am able to pull this whole thing off.

Interestingly enough, one of the founders of the Discordian movement also had a Mormon background. Suddenly, the modern religious landscape gets very interesting.
You missed my assertion.

Discordia as a theology is just like any other theology, not a subsect of Chaos Magic, but a paradigm one can use within Chaos Magic.  

TeaDidikai

Tsuzuki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:24 pm
TeaDidikai
Tsuzuki

You missed my assertion.

Discordia as a theology is just like any other theology, not a subsect of Chaos Magic, but a paradigm one can use within Chaos Magic.
True to an extent. Though they do have a history together. The first paradigm pirates were Discordians, and the two movements have been in bed together almost from the beginning.

Discordianism itself would be classed as a metaparadigm, just as chaoism is. If chaos magic is a computer, Discordianism is the most popular bundled operating system. Of course, this leads into the whole eclectic vs systematic trends among chaos magicians as noted by Joshua Wetzel in The Paradigmal Pirate.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:44 pm
Tsuzuki
True to an extent. Though they do have a history together. The first paradigm pirates were Discordians, and the two movements have been in bed together almost from the beginning.

Discordianism itself would be classed as a metaparadigm, just as chaoism is. If chaos magic is a computer, Discordianism is the most popular bundled operating system. Of course, this leads into the whole eclectic vs systematic trends among chaos magicians as noted by Joshua Wetzel in The Paradigmal Pirate.
By that measure though- Zen is the most popular bundled operating system.

Which is why I have issues with the way the classification is going. wink  

TeaDidikai

Tsuzuki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:30 pm
TeaDidikai
Tsuzuki

By that measure though- Zen is the most popular bundled operating system.

Which is why I have issues with the way the classification is going. wink
Regardless of what anyone says, Discordianism is not "Zen for roundeyes."  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:19 pm
Tsuzuki
While I find the phrasing offensive, the idea of Discordianism or Zen as a tool for breaking mental patterns in order to buck an "enforced" paradigm doesn't seem unreasonable to me at all.  

TeaDidikai

Tsuzuki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:17 am
TeaDidikai
Tsuzuki
While I find the phrasing offensive, the idea of Discordianism or Zen as a tool for breaking mental patterns in order to buck an "enforced" paradigm doesn't seem unreasonable to me at all.
Zen is good for seeing clearly, while Discordianism and chaoism are good for breaking mental patterns. They are about the same as a pair of glasses and a hammer. Discordianism would be the type of hammer that makes funny noises when you hit things, while chaoism is silent.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:19 pm
Tsuzuki
Zen is good for seeing clearly, while Discordianism and chaoism are good for breaking mental patterns.
Can you please support your claim that Zen Riddles are merely for seeing clearly and not breaking mental patterns?  

TeaDidikai

Tsuzuki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:36 pm
TeaDidikai
Tsuzuki
Zen is good for seeing clearly, while Discordianism and chaoism are good for breaking mental patterns.
Can you please support your claim that Zen Riddles are merely for seeing clearly and not breaking mental patterns?
The goal of Zen Buddhism is the attainment of the mental pattern known as "enlightenment" through the use of said riddles. Discordianism and chaoism mock that mental state and claim that it is an illusion as well. Discordianism and chaoism have more to do with postmodernism than anything related to what the Buddha taught, though they do cannibalize some of his ideas and twist them around. They're not Zen, and their aims are completely different.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:52 pm
Tsuzuki
The goal of Zen Buddhism is the attainment of the mental pattern known as "enlightenment" through the use of said riddles.
To be honest, this- even with my limited understanding of Eastern Theology- strikes me as being akin to people saying all Christendom is Roman Catholic.

Most of the Zen Buddhists I know are Taoists as well- except not because to be a Taoist is to not be a Taoist.
Quote:
Discordianism and chaoism have more to do with postmodernism than anything related to what the Buddha taught, though they do cannibalize some of his ideas and twist them around.
I think there is also an assumption of universal practice and understanding of Sutras amongsts Zen Buddhists.  

TeaDidikai

PathWays

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces