Reply ~ Main Forum ~
popular misconceptions Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MortSanglant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:53 pm
Facial piercings will never be professional.

Sorry.

User Image

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:58 pm
MortSanglant

Sorry.

User Image

Depends on the job market you are looking at and the situation. Also, this could be taken loosely in definition.

Really, in all honesty, I'm going to try and get a job at Quik Trip (it's a gas station, and there are TONS of them in my city, around 14 or so). I dress in black daily. Shirts, shoes, socks, etc. I'm comfortable in them. BUT, since I want a JOB that pays somewhat well with a nice third shift feature, I will actually go out and find some Khaki pants. OH NOES!!! I don't mind wearing something different if it keeps me from being poor. That job is just a filler in all honesty, get some experience and money saved up. Then it's off to college.

Once you find a nice job, get their employee handbook and all their rules and guidelines. LOOK ALL THE WAY THROUGH ALL OF THEM. Find out what is allowed and what isn't. For example, someone previously mentioined a banker. You could go out and purchase a rather nice black suit with a black dress shirt and tie. You could wear a nice color and apper professional still. They wont stare you down for walking in like that, they will see you spent some MONEY to look rather nice. It's just the way it is. And make sure when you buy the suit that the pockets aren't sewn shut >_<

Just research your jobs rules and regulations. Once you find what you can and can't wear GO FOR IT! But slowly at first. Don't push the limits, integrate at a slow rate and see how people take it.

But, appearence is only so much of a job. Personal skills are DIRE. You MUST know how to talk to a person calmly and cooly, about anything. It's the way it is.

Before I started this year (my senior year in High School), I would barely speak to anyone older than me. BUT, I started doing Tech Support, Office Proctor, and I proctor for Jedi Master Kitchen (a really awesome history teacher). The Jedi is also teaching me to be a TEACHER! ^_^ He and I have discussed dress and all that and he said pretty much what I did. As a teacher though most districts allow you to choose what you want to wear, so it's cool, just keep it within the law. Off topic, sorry. But really, develop PERSONAL skills. It has helped me so much when it comes to speaking to elders. I can engage anyone in conversation, from the century goers, to lil' babies, you just have to know what to say, how to say it, and how to keep yourself in check. Watch people before you talk to them, pay attention to their face when greeting other people to register their reactions with you. See if they shake hands, if they hug people, etc. Just quick little things that will help you get to speak to that person clearly.

So, look as professional as the job requires within the limitations, and develop some extremely good personal skills, and you can land a really good job.

Also, remember, any negative comments to any of my statements are welcomed! Controversies inspire millions!  

Macabre_Cogitation
Crew

xX x0mbie Xx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:57 am
Dead Ed
Your friend may need to remove his piercings before going to work - even though he has a professional persona, it's not taken as a sign of professionalism when piercings and/or tattoos are visible.

i agree, or at least change the rigns to small studs, or take them out for the interveiw and put them back in after, thats what i do all the time  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:30 am
Macabre_Cogitation
MortSanglant

Sorry.

User Image

Depends on the job market you are looking at and the situation. Also, this could be taken loosely in definition.

Really, in all honesty, I'm going to try and get a job at Quik Trip (it's a gas station, and there are TONS of them in my city, around 14 or so). I dress in black daily. Shirts, shoes, socks, etc. I'm comfortable in them. BUT, since I want a JOB that pays somewhat well with a nice third shift feature, I will actually go out and find some Khaki pants. OH NOES!!! I don't mind wearing something different if it keeps me from being poor. That job is just a filler in all honesty, get some experience and money saved up. Then it's off to college.

Once you find a nice job, get their employee handbook and all their rules and guidelines. LOOK ALL THE WAY THROUGH ALL OF THEM. Find out what is allowed and what isn't. For example, someone previously mentioined a banker. You could go out and purchase a rather nice black suit with a black dress shirt and tie. You could wear a nice color and apper professional still. They wont stare you down for walking in like that, they will see you spent some MONEY to look rather nice. It's just the way it is. And make sure when you buy the suit that the pockets aren't sewn shut >_<

Just research your jobs rules and regulations. Once you find what you can and can't wear GO FOR IT! But slowly at first. Don't push the limits, integrate at a slow rate and see how people take it.

But, appearence is only so much of a job. Personal skills are DIRE. You MUST know how to talk to a person calmly and cooly, about anything. It's the way it is.

Before I started this year (my senior year in High School), I would barely speak to anyone older than me. BUT, I started doing Tech Support, Office Proctor, and I proctor for Jedi Master Kitchen (a really awesome history teacher). The Jedi is also teaching me to be a TEACHER! ^_^ He and I have discussed dress and all that and he said pretty much what I did. As a teacher though most districts allow you to choose what you want to wear, so it's cool, just keep it within the law. Off topic, sorry. But really, develop PERSONAL skills. It has helped me so much when it comes to speaking to elders. I can engage anyone in conversation, from the century goers, to lil' babies, you just have to know what to say, how to say it, and how to keep yourself in check. Watch people before you talk to them, pay attention to their face when greeting other people to register their reactions with you. See if they shake hands, if they hug people, etc. Just quick little things that will help you get to speak to that person clearly.

So, look as professional as the job requires within the limitations, and develop some extremely good personal skills, and you can land a really good job.

Also, remember, any negative comments to any of my statements are welcomed! Controversies inspire millions!

You're a dork.

I said facial piercings, not dressing in all black.

Anyway, sure some occupations may allow facial piercings or tattoos or outlandish hair colourings, but that doesn't make it professional.

I'm sorry, I'm a stickler for these things considering my profession.

User Image

MortSanglant

Analei

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:36 am
It is a fact of life that everyone is judged on their appearances, whether or not you agree with it. The most interesting and "best" members of society are those who refuse to be sucked into an empty stereotype, whether those be your so-called "preppies", or "nerds", or "goths". To be interesting does not mean you have to have many piercings or tattoos or chains (although they are a bonus). Most jobs require a certain dress code, and for specific reasons. Because stereotypes and society's perceptions on certain things are hard to change, it is easier for a successful business man to respect and do business with someone who is rather clean cut and tame as opposed to someone who is continually testing and protesting social norms.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:33 pm
I knew a girl once, from a very rich family never wore anything that wasn't designer, never went anywhere without an hour's notice. Her outfit matched to the T and had matching jewlery, hairstyle,iPod, purse and shoes. Usually in a pastel color. She had a little rat dog and a Benz.

She made fake I.D.s, grew pot, and was bulmic.

God I loved that woman.  

Twill Hat

Bakurish

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:55 pm
That I want someone to talk to when I'm by myself, or that I hate everyone and everything and I want everyone/thing to burn in hell, etc.
Seriously, I'm a loner; I like to be left alone. A lot. My friends don't seem to get that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:07 pm
Ok one time I told omeone about how I am atheist, she thou I was controlld by demons.  

DarkPhsycotic

supa no tamago

Shy Streaker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:09 am

User ImageSing as if no one is listening, dance as if no one is watching…User Image

From what I hear facial percings and tattoos are automatic symbols of an undiciplined, wild person who will be bad for your company.

Um, once I was dressed in all black, fishnet gloves and black nail polish and some people go up to mu car and make the devil's horns symbol on their hands and start head banging and mouthing to me "Rocker". It pissed me off a great deal at the time.

User Image…love as if you have never been hurt before, live as if there is Heaven on Earth.User Image

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:22 pm
the only thing that really suck about being different is the fact im mistaken for an emo witch piss my off cause the alway makeing stupid joke about me cutting and trying to give me rope to hang myself assholes! but im rather happy and stuff. but there only preps and im the only goth at my skool. theres only the preps and poser emos  

arya241

Particle Wad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:40 pm
I kind it kind of funny, yet kind of annoying, when people judge me by what I wear. I'll be going down the hallway, sometimes skipping merrily, and then some jock will tuff-guy up to me and be like "Hey, goth, why do you like the devil so much?" and I'll look him in the eyes and say "I'm christian." and then he lauges at my religious beliefs. But I'll sleep soundly knowing he'll have the real world kick him in the a** someday.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:15 pm
1. That I like Marilyn Manson. NOOOO. GAAAAA. STOPPP ITTTTTT. xp

2. That I'm a lesbian.

3. That I'm a 'poser' because I only have 3 ear piercings and no tattoos.

4. Razorbladey slice slice. I don't.  

Vexworth

MrsPuget

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:31 pm
GilAskan
Honestly, I mean no personal offense, but you're conforming to typical stereotypes and idiotic misconceptions yourself. You're being elitest as well.

A person's interests do not affect their personalities. I know a lot of kind, selfless "preps", and a lot of self-absorbed, pretentious goths. I'm not saying that all preps are nice, nor am I saying all goths are bad. I'm saying that any given culture will good and bad people in it. If you're going to make the argument that those who deviate from society are the best people, would you consider nazis some of the best people? They too deviate from society, are different, and don't conform to normal social standards.

Also, just because someone isn't of a counter-culture or subculture (goth, punk, etc.), that doesn't mean they're a prep. Prep and mainstream are two different entities.

Now, I'm not saying that you don't have valid points. Many times, people who deviate from the standard are useful, unique, and good people. However, making the sweeping statement that (to paraphrase what you said), "Anyone who isn't normal is superior" is ignorant and discriminatory.

man, what is your problem? you comment meanly on everything and you always critisise all the things people post. its good that you let people know what you think and i tottaly support that but GOD! be a little less mean and jugmental!  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:34 pm
+lovingly goth+
GilAskan
Honestly, I mean no personal offense, but you're conforming to typical stereotypes and idiotic misconceptions yourself. You're being elitest as well.

A person's interests do not affect their personalities. I know a lot of kind, selfless "preps", and a lot of self-absorbed, pretentious goths. I'm not saying that all preps are nice, nor am I saying all goths are bad. I'm saying that any given culture will good and bad people in it. If you're going to make the argument that those who deviate from society are the best people, would you consider nazis some of the best people? They too deviate from society, are different, and don't conform to normal social standards.

Also, just because someone isn't of a counter-culture or subculture (goth, punk, etc.), that doesn't mean they're a prep. Prep and mainstream are two different entities.

Now, I'm not saying that you don't have valid points. Many times, people who deviate from the standard are useful, unique, and good people. However, making the sweeping statement that (to paraphrase what you said), "Anyone who isn't normal is superior" is ignorant and discriminatory.

man, what is your problem? you comment meanly on everything and you always critisise all the things people post. its good that you let people know what you think and i tottaly support that but GOD! be a little less mean and jugmental!

Overreact much?

He's being very objective.

You'd do well to realise this.

User Image

MortSanglant

MrsPuget

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:07 pm
MortSanglant
+lovingly goth+
GilAskan

Overreact much?

He's being very objective.

You'd do well to realise this.

User Image

i dont think im overracting because he does this on EVERTHING! it gets really old.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff