Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Fantasy Books Guild
What got you in to reading fantasy books? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nuala

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:32 am
I'm not sure. I remember growing up on the original Grimm's fairy tales - nasty endings and all - but I think that it was probably watching the movie Flight of Dragons when I was about six.

I can't even put my finger on what it was that drew me into it, but I wore my tape out eventually, and've been following the genre ever since. Maybe I just find escapism and high ideals attractive.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:51 am
I have always had a weird obsession with magic and witches since I was really young so I can't actually remember what was my first fantasy book I read. None of my family likes them apart from my dad and I'm very similar to him so he probably got me into them  

Merlinssister

6hi6

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:36 am
i started liking fantasy in 2nd grade i read the harry potter books just to prove that i could and they were allright but then i thought fantasy thats what i like so i started reading fantasy books they were so awesome but there are good ones and bad ones and lots of the good ones are really long but they were so great that i kept reading them  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:37 am
I realy don't know. Isen't that odd? I know I started reading fantasy in 2 grade. But what got me into it is just a mystery.  

Aryamenda13

stargirl775

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:39 am
I startd reading fantasy in 3rd grade, my class read the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, it became my favorite book. I got the other books from the library and loved those as well. It took me a while to switch my reading over to fantasy(from mystery and ghost books), but I definitely made a complete change over, now I won't read anything else!  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:34 pm
reading it's sell got me into fantasy books i love reading all types of books so i picked up a book one day and it just happened to be a fantasy novel so i got into fantasy. But fantasy would have to be one of favorites.  

juicybabe345

Rabid Nozomi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:02 pm
To tell you the truth, I am not sure.

As a child, I read anything interesting and had no idea what fantasy was or not. I read Harry Potter and Ella Enchanted without knowing nor caring about the genre.

Nowadays, I'm back into reading and I read fantasy all the time.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:33 pm
...just from the beginning..I have loved fantasy. It is not real, and it pushes me out of reality. It's the best, pretty much. Non-fiction...reminds me sometimes of my own pitiful life...but other than that, NF is still good. fantasy rules all the way though  

worthlesshadow

jaythenerdkid

5,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:42 am
Harry Potter. A friend bugged me to read them, and even though I was a big reader beforehand, I became an all-out bookworm after that.

When I was a little kid (as in 4-7), I read a lot of Enid Blyton. So if "The Folk of the Faraway Tree" counts as fantasy, I suppose I started then.

And yes, I could read to myself at age four (well, I could read at age two-and-a-half, actually, but let's not get technical). My mum used to read to me a lot when I was only about 1-2, so I had a pretty big head start on a lot of other kids.

Anyway, enough of that. I was also into Greek/Roman/Norse mythology when I was about eight, and I still am, but I'm not sure that mythology constitutes fantasy in this guild.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:39 am
Hmm. I dunno what it was.

I've always been a big reader, and I remember when I was in about year 3, we used to have a class in the library where our boring librarian would read to use those HUGE (as in metre tall) books with 5 words on each page. And they were so boring and simple, so me and my best friend used to sit at the back and read every book within reach. We used to get in trouble for reading in the library xd

Anyway... we worked our way through that and in about year 4 my friend handed me Wild Magic by Tamora Pierce... that was definately the first fantasy book that I had read that made me specifically seek out more xd I'd read/heard (on casette) many of the other books in fantasy (used to be a HUGE Enid Blyton fan, and had heard Narnia, the Hobbit, etc etc) but that was the first one were I search out the whole series... then a similar series... then another sweatdrop

Good fantasy is hard to write because it has so many elements. It has to be unique, interesting, funny, sad, romantic, original yet familiar - virtually every genre in one and some people just can't pull it off *shrug* No biggie xd  

LamingtonQueen

jaythenerdkid

5,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:03 am
Just have to say that Enid Blyton still rocks, even though I'm 16 now. I still read my old copy of Folk of the Faraway Tree sometimes, and still love it as much as I used to.

I haven't read Ella Enchanted. Is it good?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:35 am
Ella Enchanted is a great book. Though I got thoroughly sick of it, after reading it about once a month for two years. It's probably better for 13 or younger, but I'd recommend it to anyone, it's just that it might not appeal to people who like complicated plot lines. It's a tad bit hard to do much to complicate the Cinderella plot. (I've tried, even if only in my head.) It's hilarious, and fairly believable. The movie, however, sucked. So so much. Nothing like the book at all, which pissed me off.  

NightIntent
Captain

Empress_Kat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:36 am
I've been reading everything I could find since I was three, and I've always been attracted to magic and make-believe. I used to sit in my room and make up storied in my head while other kids ran around and played outside. The series that got me into fantasy to the exclusion of everything else was the Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C Wrede that I read at about age 6 or 7. I still have them, and read them sometimes just for fun. Not long after, I read the Chronicles of Narnia, and thus, became hooked for life.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:57 pm
Like a lot of people I was raised on the Chronicles of Narnia (speaking of which I think they did a good job on the movie). I read them over and over again before later moving on to Tamora Pierce's work and the Enchanted Forest Chronicles too. Now I read fantasy all the time; Harry Potter, Wheel of Time, Sword of Truth, and all those. Gotta say, though, now when I read Narnia I have to try and separate the Christian stuff from the fairy tale.  

Abasdarhon

Annisea

Invisible Gekko

8,650 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Rebuilder 100
  • Champion 300
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:00 am
my older sister  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items