Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Slapdash phrases and Assumptions in the Pagan Scene Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:37 pm
Henry Dorsett Case
What degree of cognitive dissonance does it take to turn to a friend, someone you would risk your life for (in some cases, have actually done so), immediately assume they're going to be offended by something because of their religion, and then decide to do it anyway?
The kind of cognitive dissonance that I have. twisted But then- this shouldn't shock anyone. This is why people who know me in real life do not debate theology with me.

[Kudzu]

Just because I'm Pagan too doesn't mean that I agree with your politics.
Heh.

I like the fact (as a point of intellectual amusement) that there are Pagan Creationists.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:45 am
Sir_Catherine
It irks me to see people, usualy high schoolers, telling every one they hang with that they are Wikkan and acting like this places them in a superior realm of understanding and connection with the world. Oh please! I may be Christian, but I can appreciate nature and life as much as the next person.

That is funny, because Wiccans do not worship nature. It is a fertility witch cult.  

jaden kendam

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:17 pm
TeaDidikai
Kudzu

Just because I'm Pagan too doesn't mean that I agree with your politics.
I like the fact (as a point of intellectual amusement) that there are Pagan Creationists.

There are also pro-life Pagans, and Pagans against the death penalty!

There are even Pagans who hunt deer and ducks with guns! *mock shock*  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:59 pm
I'm actually less annoyed by "Live Long and Prosper" and "Wind to Thy Wings" and other sci fi/fantasy fandom sayings because the people who say them don't take themselves so seriously. razz

deadmanjake
I was just watching a show on the History Channel yesterday about people who believe in past lives and that they are really aliens inhabiting a human body.

Ah, but were they walk-ins, or starseeds? wink

Quote:
I think one said he was Ponchus Pilot (sp?).
Another said she was a prostitue during world war II and was killed by a mob for having sex with german soldiers to save her own skin.
Another said that he was a famous pilot who was shot down in WWII. He did not say the name of the famous pilot though.

Oh, the best History Channel shows are the ones about how the Bible is really about alien encounters. Y'know, angels were really aliens (aliens always have shown a great deal of interest in our reproductive processes, after all!), wheels of fire in the sky were spaceships, columns of cloud and fire were aliens leading Moses on, he went on the mount to recieve the tablets from aliens, etc. ... On the History Channel.

Well, I do find it fascinating, it a sort of "Wow, people are so weird" armchair sociological point of view, I guess. wink

Brilliant stuff.  

MoonJeli

queertastrophy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:24 pm
The assumption that Asatru = Odin and Freya is very irksome to me. I've met more people who think along those lines than I would like who have liked to.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:50 pm
Sir_Catherine
It irks me to see people, usualy high schoolers, telling every one they hang with that they are Wikkan and acting like this places them in a superior realm of understanding and connection with the world. Oh please! I may be Christian, but I can appreciate nature and life as much as the next person.
But it's fun as s**t, especially as another teenager, to tediously rip apart the belief that they're wiccan in front of the friends that they are bragging to. Instant unreliability and a good way of making them see how stupid they are.

There's a "Wiccan" at my school that still gives me the evil eye every time I cross him in the coridors because I got on his case about bitching at generic good-meaning, inquiring xtian.  

Kal Eldritch

VisasMarr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:16 am
For some reason, discussion with people in the pagan scene that I don't even know, seem to come to who was who in their past life. Who cares? I certainly don't. I have no interest in my past lives, or anyone elses.

Oh, and people who like Sylvia Brown bug me too.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:31 am
VisasMarr
For some reason, discussion with people in the pagan scene that I don't even know, seem to come to who was who in their past life. Who cares? I certainly don't. I have no interest in my past lives, or anyone elses.

Oh, and people who like Sylvia Brown bug me too.

You mean the Expert Medium followers are annoying? And here I thought that they know what they are talking about. I am sure all of them learned the real truth behind thier brothers/dads/friends/moms/sisters car accidents/plane crash/drowning/house fire.  

jaden kendam

MoonJeli

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:31 am
I didn't know anything about Sylvia Browne, so after all these mentions, I looked her up, and found this on the front page of her website:

I was so excited to be invited to appear on the CBS daytime series, The Young and the Restless. I will be playing myself in three episodes, airing Dec 7. 15 & 18. I hope you will tune in.

Wow, just... wow.

*giggles*  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:09 am
MoonJeli
I didn't know anything about Sylvia Browne, so after all these mentions, I looked her up, and found this on the front page of her website:

I was so excited to be invited to appear on the CBS daytime series, The Young and the Restless. I will be playing myself in three episodes, airing Dec 7. 15 & 18. I hope you will tune in.

Wow, just... wow.

*giggles*

Among Spiritualism, she is just as bad as Ravenwolf. Hence my comment about the real truth stuff. She is a fortune teller, but because she is on t.v. and into all the new age stuff (numerology, astrology, and animal totems), she makes huge amounts of money.

Her predictions are often more wrong than right. Plus, she is one of those that said she knew 911 was going to happen. At least that is what one of her followers said.  

jaden kendam

IH_Zero

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:52 pm
deadmanjake

Among Spiritualism, she is just as bad as Ravenwolf. Hence my comment about the real truth stuff. She is a fortune teller, but because she is on t.v. and into all the new age stuff (numerology, astrology, and animal totems), she makes huge amounts of money.

Her predictions are often more wrong than right. Plus, she is one of those that said she knew 911 was going to happen. At least that is what one of her followers said.

I recall that, I think. I seem to remember she never claimed to have known it was going to happen until after the fact.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:44 pm
AngryRobotsInc.
deadmanjake

I recall that, I think. I seem to remember she never claimed to have known it was going to happen until after the fact.

Exactly. She never said anything on her television appearances about any sort of attack until after the fact. How convenient.  

jaden kendam

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:50 pm
BlueRoseTorn
The assumption that Asatru = Odin and Freya is very irksome to me. I've met more people who think along those lines than I would like who have liked to.

Heh, what a concept. Thought there is a disproportionate number of vocal Asatruar dedicated to the Old Man. Theories on it I've heard range from "he always was the loudmouth" to "it catches, apparently".  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:45 pm
I think my favourite misconception is that all "pagan" faiths are magical in nature. (and, the converse, that all magic is in some way related to some religion or other, but that is for a different thread).

I actually get that from more Fluffies than I get odd ideas about Wicca and it's synonimous nature with Pagan. The requirement that if you practice a faith other than the big 5, that faith is automatically tied to some sort of self impowerment rituals.
Like being a Pagan is in some way akin to being a member of a very dressed up self-help seminar. whee  

Fiddlers Green

jaden kendam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:05 pm
Fiddlers Green
I think my favourite misconception is that all "pagan" faiths are magical in nature. (and, the converse, that all magic is in some way related to some religion or other, but that is for a different thread).

I actually get that from more Fluffies than I get odd ideas about Wicca and it's synonimous nature with Pagan. The requirement that if you practice a faith other than the big 5, that faith is automatically tied to some sort of self impowerment rituals.
Like being a Pagan is in some way akin to being a member of a very dressed up self-help seminar. whee

You are special because you are Pagan.

Another thing I hear a lot is that pagans are more open minded than any other religion.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff