Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Click here if you love star trek!
  Beam Me Up!
View Results

TRikers_girl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:10 pm
I know how you feel. Being one of the only Trek fans in my High school equals to people thinking I'm crazy. Then again, only the snobby think that, teachers appreciate my TV choices.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:33 pm
Hear, hear!
My friend once made the comparison between stick firgure comics and manga comics, and I think it applies here. Star Trek being stick figures and other commercialized stuff being manga:
Stick figures leave more room for speech bubbles and inteligent thought, without focusing too much on how it looks because that's not what matters. Manga concentrates on how the characters look, but the plot isn't too intelligent.
It applies to this in two ways:
1. Star Trek's special effects are certainly lacking , but that's because the plot is great. Other stuff is so cutesie and franchised, people love it even though the plots are worse than a load of tribbles in a Klingon engine room.
2. Us trekkies can certainly fill up some major speech bubble space...
*glances up at really long post*  

Tevakh

Shai_Hulud

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:38 pm
I would think it's because a good portion of people who watch Star Trek are nerds. Take me and my friend, for example. She's the only person I know who likes Star Trek, and she's a total nerd. I am also a nerd.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:55 am
i think a lot of the stigma non fans have about the shows are because of how crazy a lot of us fans are about the show. there aren't to many shows out there that are really popular where people go to conventions dressed like the title characters. (not that i wouldn't love to go to a My Name is Earl convention, id so go as randy)

seeing a half dozen geeks all dressed as Spock all standing in line has to be a huge put off to some one that hasn't ever watched the show.  

meatsack

USSVoyager_NCC-74656

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:39 pm
baronesswinchester
It's because Star Trek makes you think. A lot of people don't like to think.

woah, I laughed so hard at that statement. Mostly because it's true. For people who like Star Trek thinking about complex things comes naturally!
( I'm not saying that everyone else is stupid, I'm just saying that Trekkers are able to abstractly think without much thought. did that make any sense to anyone at all?)

As for the whole nerd/geek thing I say people who love ST are normal, and everyone else is weird. haha good 'ol optimism.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:37 pm
I've actually been slowly introducing my friends to star trek and many of them are finding that its actually more interesting than they previously thought!

i love introducing people to it. Even if they don't love it. As long as they realize its nothing like Star Wars but just as good...im happy  

Shotgun_Rae

AFK Masturbating

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:22 pm
I think both the Trek and Wars franchises have their merits. Both deal with a lot of good moral themes and such.

However, Trek seems to show a far more plausible future, as everything seems to be grounded in real life science, which I can appreciate.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:01 am
This reminds me of one a couple years ago, me and a couple friends were out, and me and one of them were talking about Star Trek Novels, and our other friend said something like "Star Trek is to nerdy for me"  

Nurkie

Call Me Janeway

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:21 pm
It is kinda silly that people judge it without seeing it first... although... their judgement of the fan base is relatively accurate... the fact that there are conventions and people dress up kinda gives them fodder for their accusations of geekyness... *shrug*  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:30 pm
I can sympathize with everyone here. As I've said before in a different thread, I've gotten kicked off the lunch table for bringing up the topic of Star Trek. Only one of my friends is even the slightest bit interested with it, and she prefers Voyager.

And to whoever said "People don't like to think," yes, that's one of the sad truths of the modern world. Not a single person at my school is even the least bit creative, with the exception of my friends and me. I honestly don't know what it would take for people to be able to look beyond their narrow view of the world and start envisioning a better future. If that's even possible for humans to do.  

Miral Paris

-[.Moo.]-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:01 am
People think I'm a freak for liking Star Trek.
But, to be honest, there's an emerging trend for 'geekiness', it's one of those post-emo scenes.
I know a couple of people who like ST, but most people just look at me funny...

Although, I know a few of my teachers like ST, but I do look like a nerd when I start discussing warp drives and transporters with my physics teacher.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:13 pm
Okay I know I might have people mad at me or what ever but please read what I gotta say fully.Anyways I use to think Star Trek was for "nerds" (I am one too lol and proud to be a nerd.)But once I got to sitting down and actually watching the show I fell in love with Star Trek 3nodding .So know I watch Star Trek ever time I see it on.I long for being able to get my hands on the novels or anything Star Trek.I love the stories in Star Trek.The different alien races and the neat science fiction devices that were in Star Trek.I just love everything about it heh.Thinking is a good think that is what makes Star Trek so fascinating to me.  

Kizzeh

4,800 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200

Subspace Interference

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:43 am
I've noticed that in some cases, Trek-ness can be contagious. I myself have assimilated two of my friends into the Trekkie collective.
People think we're nerds, but we're okay with that.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:45 pm
I'm in 7th grade, so I'm often made fun of for being a Trekkie. Luckily, I've gotten people off my back by asking them why Star Trek is stupid. They can never give me good answers. rolleyes
I also agree with the statement that Trekkie-ness (or Trekkeritous as I call it) is contagious. I've assimilated my closest friends into liking it, and I convinced my Mom to watch the Voyager episodes Workforce and Workforce Pt. 2 with me. Now that's all she talks about. biggrin  

Maria Stark

Dunedien

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:41 pm
YourAzureGoddess
I think part of the problem is the expectation of what people are and are not supposed to do.

I think part of the problem is that TRekkies (and "nerds") have a more expanded imagination than other people. The people around you are expecting you shouldn't keep your head in the clouds, you should focus on things that are more "real" such as soap opera and sports and the sitcoms everyone else watches - the probelem is that sports and soap opera and the like are actually just fantasies for people who can't dream beyond thier own front door. How many high school football p[layers actually make it into the NFL? How many high school cheerleaders live a life like those seen on popular sitcoms? Very very few, but because it's an easy dream to capture alot of people buy into it.

Star Trek is something that goes beyond the easy. We know now that we're not getting into space on a Galaxy class startship anytime soon, but we can trust that sooner or later things will look up to a brighter future (hey, they got communicators right, didn't they?)

If people laugh at you because you're a nerd, tell them that actually you're a very normal, wonderful person, and you aren't scared to dream farther than they can. smile

Exactly. Couldn't have said it any better.  
Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff