The Nativity Story Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Seen the trailer for it?
  Yes and it looked awesome!!
  Yeah, but it didn't look THAT great.
  No, but I've heard of it; I do wanna see it.
  No I haven't ... what's this movie about??
  No, and I don't really care that much ...
View Results

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:51 pm
Oh, for sure. The Romans had lots of fun persecuting the early Christians. Which makes me wonder what you think about the crucifixion. If all of it is a lie, why would Jesus, knowing none of it was true, go through with it. And Mary, His mother, why didn't she step in and say something (because she very well could have). She just followed along with it. You can't say it was for power; if Jesus was just a man, He wasn't going to gain anything from it.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:19 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
Oh, for sure. The Romans had lots of fun persecuting the early Christians. Which makes me wonder what you think about the crucifixion. If all of it is a lie, why would Jesus, knowing none of it was true, go through with it. And Mary, His mother, why didn't she step in and say something (because she very well could have). She just followed along with it. You can't say it was for power; if Jesus was just a man, He wasn't going to gain anything from it.

As I've said before; Jesus was more than likely insane. There have been plenty of other founders of cults that got themselves killed over their beliefs.  

Lethkhar

Wind-Whisper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:03 pm
Lethkhar
Fushigi na Butterfly

As I've said before; Jesus was more than likely insane. There have been plenty of other founders of cults that got themselves killed over their beliefs.

If what you say is true, then I challenge you to answer why it is that over 300 prophecies of the old testament were literally fulfilled by Jesus in ways that often people would never have thought of until after the fact. I also challenge you to come up with an explanation for his death and resurrecution which many have tried, and have all failed. That's why they don't talk about it much except top say, "it never happened" because they have no other explanation, and that upsets their apple carts.

The problem is, too many people who say they don't believe have never been very well informed. And some, even if they were, would refuse to believe anyway. Perhaps instead of condemning Jesus, you should read what he has to say and give it some good, hard thought.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:13 pm
Lethkhar
Fushigi na Butterfly
I watched The Passion of the Christ the whole way through. Never mind the fact that I cried so I hard I nearly threw up on the theatre floor and was then depressed for about a month. Yes, that movie was a little too accurate in its portrayal of the Passion, but I think it's somewhat necessary. Not for everyone, of course, and not necessary in the sense that "omgyoumustgoseethismovieoryoulldie!!!11one" but just ... I think it helps to see how terrible the event really was. Personally, it made me rethink my attitude and how I showed my faith. I was like, "He went through all that and look at how I'm acting??" and so I changed myself and how I thought about the Passion.

Thankfully, The Nativity Story was nothing like that. It was a very good movie, actually, though not as great as I was expecting. I think it's more a rental than a theatre movie. 3nodding

What's even more sickening is the thought that Jesus wasn't the only one who went through all that...Some people had it even worse.

It is hard to say how accurate it was. I suspect it was a little over the top in the earlier scenes, and they neglected to show the scene where Jesus was sent across town to Herod's court (Herod was expecting to see a magician, I think, and was disappointed) - keeping in mind this whole business took place in a single night and morning! However, once Pilate sentenced jesus to a flogging, the brutality was probably very accurate.

What stands out most of all to me is that at the end, Jesus looks up at the screen with his battered face, looking directly at YOU, and the unspoken message is, "I went through all of this...for YOU."
Now, take that for what it is worth, my doubting friend. He loves even you enough to endure all of that. And likewise he loves everyone else, however ungrateful, that much.  

Wind-Whisper

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:15 pm
Wind-Whisper
Lethkhar
Fushigi na Butterfly

If what you say is true, then I challenge you to answer why it is that over 300 prophecies of the old testament were literally fulfilled by Jesus in ways that often people would never have thought of until after the fact.

Oh, please do tell. I haven't heard about these.

Quote:
I also challenge you to come up with an explanation for his death and resurrecution which many have tried, and have all failed. That's why they don't talk about it much except top say, "it never happened" because they have no other explanation, and that upsets their apple carts.

What's wrong with saying Jesus wasn't resurrected? It's just like saying Mohammed didn't ride a winged horse to heaven.

The burden of proof is on you, my friend. Short of the Bible, I'm afraid you have no evidence of Jesus rising from his grave.

Quote:
The problem is, too many people who say they don't believe have never been very well informed. And some, even if they were, would refuse to believe anyway. Perhaps instead of condemning Jesus, you should read what he has to say and give it some good, hard thought.

I read the Bible. It was gruesome, dispicable, grotesque, condemning, close-minded, fallable, and completely and utterly ridiculous.

Are there other writings about him that I should be aware of?  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:13 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
Anyone seen the trailer for it?? It's coming out December 1 and it looks so awesome. I can't wait to see it. heart xd

OMG! my girlfriend say it and she said it w as AWESOME!!!!!!!!! see it!  

SammiejoPeepEnstine

Gracious Entrepreneur

4,000 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200

Deo_Machina

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:36 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly

I know why he might have been crucified. (assuming is was all a hoax)

Say the romans catch him. What does he do then? Even if he wanted out he was done for at that point.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:53 pm
Even if He had denied everything? And His followers- if they knew it was a hoax, why would they risk their own lives for it? It just seems that all the accusations for Christianity being a joke are pointed at either Jesus lying so He could have power, or His followers lying so they could have power- but was power really worth all the brutal persecution??  

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Deo_Machina

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:55 am
Fushigi na Butterfly
Even if He had denied everything? And His followers- if they knew it was a hoax, why would they risk their own lives for it? It just seems that all the accusations for Christianity being a joke are pointed at either Jesus lying so He could have power, or His followers lying so they could have power- but was power really worth all the brutal persecution??

Well he would have been done for even if he denied it, because everyone believed him.
So he thinks "I'll keep the hoax up, because I'm going to die anyway. May as well go down in history as something great."

And I'd guess the power was worth it, because the Romans ended up becoming Christians themselves. (It was the official one in 380)  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:33 pm
Maybe this is the one place where I don't give human beings enough credit, cuz I just don't see how anyone could have that kind of foresight. confused  

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Deo_Machina

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:22 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
Maybe this is the one place where I don't give human beings enough credit, cuz I just don't see how anyone could have that kind of foresight. confused

Yeah, I guess 300 odd years would be a bit much.
So maybe it was due to the teachings telling people to spread the message?
A lot of people start spreading it, and before you know what's going on it gets everywhere, impossible to stamp out.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:41 pm
Yeah, but by the time Jesus was crucified, the Gospel hadn't been spread that far. Jesus hardly left His own backyard (not literally, but He stayed rather close to home). Not to mention, most people thought He was a heretic and a blasphemer.  

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Deo_Machina

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:43 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
Yeah, but by the time Jesus was crucified, the Gospel hadn't been spread that far. Jesus hardly left His own backyard (not literally, but He stayed rather close to home). Not to mention, most people thought He was a heretic and a blasphemer.

So how DID he manage it? Couldn't God have said something to the Jews?

"Oh, in a few years my son will be popping over, make sure you don't label him as a heretic"  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:20 pm
Exactly my point. God spoke through His prophets, telling them that He was sending His Son to spread the Good News.

Which is exactly the point I was trying to make: that it was all God from the beginning. He foretold of His Son's first coming, He spoke through His Son during His time on Earth, and then raised Him three days later from the grave. It has nothing to do with power, and everything to do with what God has done for us.

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

sacred_renaissance26

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:37 pm
Quote:
What's even more sickening is the thought that Jesus wasn't the only one who went through all that...Some people had it even worse.

He may not have been the only one to go through it, but he was the only person who did it willingly, even though he was innoccent. He had it much worse than the other people physically, because you were not supposed to get beat that badly before, and most people were not carrying the sins of the world on them when they died.  
Media Discussion {Everything on TV is true}

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff