Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
About Hellenism Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:42 pm
TeaDidikai
Dragon_Witch_Woman
Sence I'm doing my best to research this path when I can, I was hopeing someone would do a topic for it in the pathways subforum.
I've been hoping that for some time myself.

Hellenic Theology is my weakpoint really.
I get bits and peices of their sociaty from the myths, but its just not enough.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:12 pm
Dragon_Witch_Woman
TeaDidikai
Dragon_Witch_Woman
Sence I'm doing my best to research this path when I can, I was hopeing someone would do a topic for it in the pathways subforum.

I have an "okay" grounding in the mythos, (less scholarly translations than most of my other interests), but the actual theology isn't something I have studied in detail.  

TeaDidikai

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:21 pm
Dragon_Witch_Woman
TeaDidikai
Dragon_Witch_Woman

And really, you are only going to get a bit from the myths. Theology extended beyond the mythology. Although, there is a good bit of evidence from the Structuralists to play with.

And no, I still don't have time. These two weeks have gone WAY TOO FAST.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:10 am
The mythos is, like Nuri says, only the barest roots of the Hellenic Theology. Especially considering much of the mythos have been poorly translated by people with their own agendas.

The larger "myths" like the Theogony and Homer give a better look at the nature of Greek Religion, but your best bet is the histories and Walter Burkert's Greek Religion.

For the modern interpretation of the religion, there are many sites and groups that have been created for and are maintained by modern Hellenists. I can list some of the (IMHO) better ones.

And I'm too busy right now too
blaugh  

EternalHearts

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:01 pm
EternalHearts
The mythos is, like Nuri says, only the barest roots of the Hellenic Theology. Especially considering much of the mythos have been poorly translated by people with their own agendas.

The larger "myths" like the Theogony and Homer give a better look at the nature of Greek Religion, but your best bet is the histories and Walter Burkert's Greek Religion.

For the modern interpretation of the religion, there are many sites and groups that have been created for and are maintained by modern Hellenists. I can list some of the (IMHO) better ones.

blaugh
Thats the book I've been trying to find!  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:49 pm
Dragon_Witch_Woman
EternalHearts

blaugh

You mean this one?  

maenad nuri
Captain

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:38 pm
Nuri
Dragon_Witch_Woman
EternalHearts

blaugh

You mean this one?
Yes! Thank you! *saves site for when she has money*  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:49 am
Are there any other books that are good? Unfortunaly my library doesn't carry Greek Religion -_-  

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500

Elizabeth Tarion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:35 am
I've found two Greek books that I'd like opinions on...

The Greek Way by Edith Hamilton
and
Elements of the Greek Tradition by Murry Hope.

I'd imagine they'd both be great for Recons or those interested in it, but because I haven't read them... xp  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:30 pm
Dragon_Witch_Woman
Are there any other books that are good? Unfortunaly my library doesn't carry Greek Religion -_-

Try interlibrary loan!  

maenad nuri
Captain

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:56 pm
Nuri
Dragon_Witch_Woman

Try interlibrary loan!

Our library does that. For all libraries in the county, and, belive it or not, aparently NONE of the libraries in Bravard county, FL .

MoreSpareParts
I've found two Greek books that I'd like opinions on...

The Greek Way by Edith Hamilton
and
Elements of the Greek Tradition by Murry Hope.

I'd imagine they'd both be great for Recons or those interested in it, but because I haven't read them...
I've read a book by Edith Hamilton, I have her book Mythology. My latin teacher said it was a great book.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:50 am
Dragon_Witch_Woman
I've read a book by Edith Hamilton, I have her book Mythology. My latin teacher said it was a great book.
I'm not Hellenic, but I found one of my most treasured books to be a very old edition of Bulfinch's Mythology. Great grounding in lots of different mythologies while not going too biased or insane about it. Good for an interested reader and an excellent reference.  

Pelta

Elizabeth Tarion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:28 pm
Dragon_Witch_Woman
I keep hearing that it's a fantastic book, but based on some Amazon reviews I read, it sounded like there might be a bit too much romanticism about ancient Greek culture and practices.
I wouldn't think that would be very useful...
I'll look for "Mythology", while I'm at it.

No one's read "Elements of the Greek Tradition"...?

missmagpie
I'm not Hellenic, but I found one of my most treasured books to be a very old edition of Bulfinch's Mythology. Great grounding in lots of different mythologies while not going too biased or insane about it. Good for an interested reader and an excellent reference.
*runs to check library book list*

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Robert Graves in this thread. Should he be avoided?  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:12 pm
MoreSpareParts

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Robert Graves in this thread. Should he be avoided?

He tends to have his own interpretation of things. That bares no relation to reality. Pretty poetry though.  

maenad nuri
Captain

Elizabeth Tarion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:59 pm
Nuri
MoreSpareParts

He tends to have his own interpretation of things. That bares no relation to reality. Pretty poetry though.
Oh, well. At least I got my hardbacks cheap.
It sounds like it'd be good reading after getting a good grasp on the actual material.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff