Reply Fantasy Books Guild
Marion Zimmer Bradley's Books Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ayamechan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:46 pm

I believe she did the Darkover series, correct?

The first few books (in chronological order of the world, not in the order they were written) are really good. From there, it's sorta like... eh. They become more sci-fi than fantasy after a while.

Mists of Avalon made me cry, though admittedly, I was hypersensitive at the time. Still some not-so-fun memories. ._.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:02 am

Well, I don't know much about her, so I can't say if she did the Darkover series on not. I'll look for it later, maybe, and then I'll tell you. Plus, if it's by her, it's probably good.

Takiko-chan

Ayamechan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:28 pm

Takiko-chan
Well, I don't know much about her, so I can't say if she did the Darkover series on not. I'll look for it later, maybe, and then I'll tell you. Plus, if it's by her, it's probably good.

She did. They're pretty good.

The only downside is that they're almost impossible to find... half the earlier ones are out of print. ._.;;;
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:33 pm

Aww... If it's hard to find them in the US, it'll be impossible to get them here in Brazil. But I suppose I'll try anyway. (The downside will be finding the translated title for it, because I doubt I'll be able to find English copies of an out-of-print book)
Anyway, could you tell me what it is about?

Takiko-chan

Flux_o_color

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:39 pm

My best friend swears by this book, I got it in an old used book store the other day, so it's on the shelf but theres so many others on the shelf too!!! I wish i had special contact lenses the scolled down the the pages of the book while i went about my day. maybe some day, one can only dream........ mrgreen
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:01 am

any one read the Ancestors of Avalon? its hella good! it talks about the Atlantian backgrounds of the Avalon characters! its tight! and before that book, Marion wrote the Fall of Atlantis. it's even more massive with the characters. i heart it!
ninja

cpt_morgan

Takiko-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:09 am

cpt_morgan
any one read the Ancestors of Avalon? its hella good! it talks about the Atlantian backgrounds of the Avalon characters! its tight! and before that book, Marion wrote the Fall of Atlantis. it's even more massive with the characters. i heart it!
ninja

I have two books that are supposed to tell about the Ladies that came before Viviane, plus her own story, plus what happened before The Mists of Avalon... But it's a Portuguese translation, so I don't know what is their original title. sweatdrop
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:14 pm

Takiko-chan
cpt_morgan
ninja

I have two books that are supposed to tell about the Ladies that came before Viviane, plus her own story, plus what happened before The Mists of Avalon... But it's a Portuguese translation, so I don't know what is their original title. sweatdrop

i think the orginal titles for the pre-avalon atlantian stuff was WeB of Darnkess and then another book called Web of Light. ninja

cpt_morgan

Takiko-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:48 pm

cpt_morgan
i think the orginal titles for the pre-avalon atlantian stuff was WeB of Darnkess and then another book called Web of Light. ninja

No, that's not possible. Re-translating the title, they would be "House of the Forest" and "The Lady of Avalon". It's way too different from Web of Light and Darkness.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:06 pm

Takiko-chan
cpt_morgan

No, that's not possible. Re-translating the title, they would be "House of the Forest" and "The Lady of Avalon". It's way too different from Web of Light and Darkness.
im talking about OLD books, something she wrote before avalon. The avalon series is Mists of Avalon, Forest House, Lady of Avalon, Priestess of Avalon, and Ancestors of Avalon. the books im speaking of are about the fall of Atlantis and how it ties into the Ancestosr of Avalon characters. the two books were reprinted in the late 80's as one title, Fall of Atlantis. it's actually quite good too heart

cpt_morgan

Takiko-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:30 am

Ah, I thought you meant prequels to The Mists of Avalon, sorry for the mistake. ^^

My friend recently got The Ancestors of Avalon, and she'll lend it to me when she's done reading. I can't wait. whee
But I also need to read Forest House and The Lady of Avalon, which are the other books of this series that I have.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:37 am

Okay, I finally finished reading The Mists of Avalon. The ending was sooo sad. Guinivere still annoys the hell out of me, Lancelet is stupid, Arthur an idiot, and Morgaine's just weird. And Morgause got all distressed over someone calling her old. And I never liked Gwydion/Mordred. But I liked Accolon! Why did things turn out the way they did? At least Morgaine got to steal the sheathe she made for Arthur. The stupid jerk. I liked him better as a naive, young boy. He was nicer then. And he hadn't betrayed his promise to Avalon, or killed any of the main characters. The characters that I liked. Though I did like the whole, "The Goddess will find a way in" thing at the end. That was good. I wonder if Morgaine will ever die. I feel bad for Raven, too. (Just remembered her.) I liked her. And now I'm just babbling. I'll stop now.

NightIntent
Captain

jaythenerdkid

5,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:42 am

I loved Mists of Avalon! It was my first Marion Zimmer Bradley book, and I found out pretty quickly that I loved her writing style.

As far as characters go, I actually really liked Lance, but then again I'm a little biased in his favour because I liked him before I read the book. Arthur was great until he decided not to carry the Pendragon banner into battle. After that, I hated him. I never liked Igraine - she whinged and whined just a little too much, and the whole Uther-fangirling thing was annoying. I liked Mordred because I felt kinda sorry for him. He could have been a great kid if circumstances where different. Gwenhwyfar was my pet hate in that book. She was completely responsible for practically destroying Arthur, in my opinion. Morgaine just rocked, as did Morgause (for different reasons), and I ended up liking Viviane by the end of the book.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:49 am

I loved Mists of Avalon, it's my favourite take on the whole King Arthur thing. That's saying something, considering how many books I have on that subject.

Darkover is another series I love. I've only read the earlier books, chronalogically, the later ones seem harder to find, to me.

Empress_Kat

angelic5252

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:03 pm

i love Exile's Song, and i got one of the darkover books from the series, but have not read it yet!
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff