Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
It's Clean-Up time! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:58 am
AngryRobotsInc.
Cunningham's books bother me, not because of his theology or anything, but because his writing style strikes me as rather condescending.
When he is talking about his own moral judgments, I am inclined to agree. But it didn't strike me as a common theme.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:11 pm
TeaDidikai
AngryRobotsInc.
Cunningham's books bother me, not because of his theology or anything, but because his writing style strikes me as rather condescending.
When he is talking about his own moral judgments, I am inclined to agree. But it didn't strike me as a common theme.

I did find his rituals and what not to be interesting, but I'm much more of a taking things as a whole person, rather than just taking parts. So, if I dislike certain parts of someone's books, I tend to dislike the entire thing.

I'm sure other people could get much more use out of his books than I did.  

IH_Zero

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:25 pm
AngryRobotsInc.
TeaDidikai
AngryRobotsInc.

I did find his rituals and what not to be interesting, but I'm much more of a taking things as a whole person, rather than just taking parts. So, if I dislike certain parts of someone's books, I tend to dislike the entire thing.

I'm sure other people could get much more use out of his books than I did.
Myself- I tend not to toss the baby out with the bathwater on the first offence.

If someone habitually ******** up ~coughmetalbirddogcoughcough~, then I can see where you are coming from. But all in all, his books are worth more than waste.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:35 pm
TeaDidikai
Myself- I tend not to toss the baby out with the bathwater on the first offence.

If someone habitually ******** up ~coughmetalbirddogcoughcough~, then I can see where you are coming from. But all in all, his books are worth more than waste.

I know, and it's something I know I should get over. I don't particularly mind his basic books on magic and the like, but the books dealing with his theology, I just dislike as a whole.  

IH_Zero

Pelta

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:40 pm
TeaDidikai
missmagpie

And where do the Cunningham books sit on the book list?
Cunningham is great for Neopagan Magic 101.
That was my thought on the subject. I have no qualms admitting that his Earth, Air, Fire and Water was the first pagan book I ever bought. Leaving aside his wicca stuff, which I never touched, he's a very good author for serious beginners who actually want to go somewhere. He makes a very good stepping stone.

His crystal magic encyclopedia was a bit shallow but well researched and a good resource for someone who's never touched the stuff before. Even my parents didn't mind flipping through it. xd  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:51 pm
missmagpie
Leaving aside his wicca stuff, which I never touched, he's a very good author for serious beginners who actually want to go somewhere. He makes a very good stepping stone.
But even his "Wiccan Stuff" is good- if you want to be a generic neo-pagan.
Really, the issue is with his word choice- and to be fair, such being valid or not is currently in question.

Quote:
His crystal magic encyclopedia was a bit shallow
Actually, that is the one book of his I really disliked on a very primal level I haven't been able to pin down.  

TeaDidikai

Pelta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:41 am
TeaDidikai
Quote:
His crystal magic encyclopedia was a bit shallow
Actually, that is the one book of his I really disliked on a very primal level I haven't been able to pin down.

It's... distant. He's done his research, but then piles all that he's found out into every entry on every stone without any sense of coherence. So it often ends up that certain popular stones do ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING! And other stones do nothing. It isn't really colored with experience. Ie. it lacks depth.

He's still done quite a bit of research though, and includes an annotated bibliography. That's probably the best part of the book. wink  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff