Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply An Anime Addict's Guild
Anime distributed through YouTube: Right or wrong? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Dark Dragon of Chaos

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:13 pm
Wyrn
Washu_Takahashi
I guess it's not exactally 'right', but I would be very angery if they took those videos off. If it wasn't for youtube, I wouldn't have seen animes like Full Moon Wo Sagashite, Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch, and a few others here and there. As long as they say 'I didn't make this' I don't really think it's wrong. If that's the case, even videos made out of clips from animes/cartoons/movies shouldn't be allowed as it would still break the copyright law, which would pretty much get youtube out of business.

Actually no. There are parody and tribute rights.

also theres the fun little fact that if they don't have the copyright in america then you don't get in trouble.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:19 pm
Wrong. Japanese companies are able to sue them for breaking international copyright laws. America and Japan both signed the agreement on the international copyright laws.  

Wyrn

Shameless Stalker

The Dark Dragon of Chaos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:50 am
Wyrn
Wrong. Japanese companies are able to sue them for breaking international copyright laws. America and Japan both signed the agreement on the international copyright laws.
really hmm, oh well still don't care.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:14 pm
youtube is kool cuz thats were i get my anime if i dont buy it on dvd  

iChocobean

Crystal_Metals_Babe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:33 pm
I think its okay I get a lot of stuff from YouTube but if someone could tell me a different website please tell me.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:34 pm
If they take anime off youtube then I'm deleting my account. The only reason I go on there is to watch anime, amvs, and upload my own amvs. I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

Without all the anime fans I think youtube is screwed. Sorry, but this subject makes meh kinda mad.  

VoraciousPanda

Cola Addict

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:22 pm
So far i see a couple of people say they can't live without YouTube. Or imply that. I don't care either way. I have a job and i can also afford to buy anime. In fact i was so tempted to see Mahoromatic on YouTube (both seasons available on YouTube) but i decided to buy some legit products. Suncoast Motion Pictures are putting most of their old anime on sale. As low as 50% off. biggrin

Mahoromatic is another anime i never got a chance to see about 3 years back right before Pioneer changed their name to Geneon.

Another factor is a lot of viewers that access YouTube are young. I'm sure everyone that mentioned they want YouTube to stay are no older then 17. Younger viewers then 17 can't work so they find a way to watch free anime anyway they can. So there seems to be an upside to this as we ll as a downside to this. neutral

gogeta_7
youtube is kool cuz thats were i get my anime if i dont buy it on dvd

See what i mean? Young yet you probably don;t realize how you are hurting the industry. neutral

Crystal_Metals_Babe
I think its okay I get a lot of stuff from YouTube but if someone could tell me a different website please tell me.

If someone does reach this message please do it through private messages.

Rymfire Shakaku
If they take anime off youtube then I'm deleting my account. The only reason I go on there is to watch anime, amvs, and upload my own amvs. I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

Without all the anime fans I think youtube is screwed. Sorry, but this subject makes meh kinda mad.

Um........nothing wrong? We have mentioned plenty of times how copyright laws are violated. >__>

But i agree, anime fans are probably around 50% of the users who access YouTube. Then again the fans aren't paying for YouTube either.

I don't see how this kind of makes you angry. neutral  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:37 am
It makes me mad because people are talking about taking away my source of anime! It's not like my parents are going to let me buy anime either. Also it's more than I can afford. An entire series can cost $60.
If youtube takes away anime, the only place I will be able to watch it is anime club at school. On top of that, not being able to upload amvs makes me very very very angry.

Ok that meh rant... XD  

VoraciousPanda

Wyrn

Shameless Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:11 pm
AMVs are not getting deleted from Youtube. Just the actual anime eps.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:09 pm
Rymfire Shakaku
It makes me mad because people are talking about taking away my source of anime! It's not like my parents are going to let me buy anime either. Also it's more than I can afford. An entire series can cost $60.
If youtube takes away anime, the only place I will be able to watch it is anime club at school. On top of that, not being able to upload amvs makes me very very very angry.

Ok that meh rant... XD
ok one calm down its not the end of the world you just have to branch out and start downloading anime. i personally am downloading the entire series of peace maker and avatar. just find the links section bookmark the sites and learn to love them  

The Dark Dragon of Chaos

The Dark Dragon of Chaos

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:15 pm
Fuka Narutaki

See what i mean? Young yet you probably don;t realize how you are hurting the industry.
i personally don't see it as hurting the industry if you are doing one of three things.
1. watching it so you know you'll like it. if i buy it and don't like it i make sure everyone knows why, but if i don't buy it i couldn't care less. so in that way its more constructive for the industry.
2. watching it because you plan on buying the series. its just so you can get your fix of your anime so you don't drive yourself nuts going "oh my god did he really die!"
3. if you never had any intention to buy it ever but you want to waste time. if they were never going to get paid anyway then it doesn't really matter.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:58 pm
Wyrn

That may be true for now, but they contain both copyrighted anime clips and a copyrighted audio track. So they have just as much potential to be deleted as anything else. While one may be able to use the argument that a composition of clips from anime may be in the realm of fair use ( may be not, I don't really know ), but I'm sure that the RIAA is not at all happy to have their music on you tube at all, without compensation. Since the RIAA is very legally agressive, I wouldn't doubt it if their next target was AMV's.

Let's just hope that's not the case biggrin  

Traveling Merchant

Shameless Trader

Wyrn

Shameless Stalker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:29 am
True but for now they are leaving them alone.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:34 pm
Rymfire Shakaku

Ok that meh rant... XD

You don't necessarly have to buy a box set. Just buy each release seperately. $20 every two months. After you finish the set you'll have the complete set without bothering to wait for a box set release. Bandai waited years before releasing the box set for .Hack//Legend Of The Twilight recently which i'm sure not too many people bought. I believe Bandai released a couple of other box sets years after they completed the series. I can't remember what titles they were.

But not every company waits this long. ADV and Geneon quickly release box sets after they complete a series. Anyone notice how expensive the box set for Samurai Champloo is? I never seened a box set price like that in my life. eek

And that's your only source for anime? What about screenings? Newtype Magazine? They have free DVD's every month with promos for upcoming releases. And you should be thankful for a club.........they had one at my old high school which was pretty boring seeing as all they watched was Dragonball Z rolleyes

Fact is i saw DB/DBZ/DBGT years ago before they decided to complete the Freeza saga. rolleyes

YouTube isn't gonna mess with AMV's. It's up to the person who uploaded them to remove them.

the demon of chaos
Fuka Narutaki

See what i mean? Young yet you probably don;t realize how you are hurting the industry.
i personally don't see it as hurting the industry if you are doing one of three things.
1. watching it so you know you'll like it. if i buy it and don't like it i make sure everyone knows why, but if i don't buy it i couldn't care less. so in that way its more constructive for the industry.
2. watching it because you plan on buying the series. its just so you can get your fix of your anime so you don't drive yourself nuts going "oh my god did he really die!"
3. if you never had any intention to buy it ever but you want to waste time. if they were never going to get paid anyway then it doesn't really matter.

But how do you know that the younger fans are planning to buy anything at all? I know where you are getting at though. YouTube is helping me. It's helping a lot of fans. At the moment i'm in the process of watching Hand Maid May (up to ep. 6 so far). I plan to buy the box set now because i love the comedy so far. The end of episode 5 was really good.

Hopefully i can find a box set. Hand Maid May is an old one and a lot of fans forgot all about it. This is another title i never got a chance to watch.

Number 3 was a very good point. I still think with YouTube around sales are effected more then an average fan that doesn;t realize YouTube is around and neglecting certain anime.
Solemn Darkness
Wyrn

That may be true for now, but they contain both copyrighted anime clips and a copyrighted audio track. So they have just as much potential to be deleted as anything else. While one may be able to use the argument that a composition of clips from anime may be in the realm of fair use ( may be not, I don't really know ), but I'm sure that the RIAA is not at all happy to have their music on you tube at all, without compensation. Since the RIAA is very legally agressive, I wouldn't doubt it if their next target was AMV's.

Let's just hope that's not the case biggrin

Wyrn
True but for now they are leaving them alone.

Both of you make some points. Although AMV's are not complete episodes of anything, it still conatins footage being re-produced without permission. I know a lot of you have heard that music artists get sued by other music artists for sampling and using material from others without permission. Same goes with video. Making AMV's is a fans way of showing appreciation.........sure the creator of the material being used might not care but some of them could be buttholes and may try to start a lawsuit. Not that i heard any related stories but think deeply about it.

Overall YouTube would not mess with AMV's. They are created by users and it's up to the user to remove a file.  

Cola Addict

Fafnir121

1,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:50 am
I think that the episodes on youtube are fine, if you really like an anime you will still buy it. I use youtube mainly to preview an anime or watch a series that I would never buy.  
An Anime Addict's Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff