Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Temporary Council of War. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:11 am
Nebelstern
Invictus_88
Seems like a metaphor.

I will be back in the morning to consult the Guild on where we move from here.

Simon, if you've time, could you finish scouring the spam from the abortion thread?

Goodnight all.

Well, looks like I'll get to work... not quite sure what you meant, as in, either deleting or locking? I think I may post a comment and lock, allbeit temporarily...

Actually I just meant finish deleting the spam in the abortion thread but I have your PM and it's fine. Indeed quite helpful.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:14 am
and_solo_said
Nebelstern
Ah... yes... this is what I meant. Apologies. It was Owen and I.

I
Corpses release gases built up inside. I know that much. Yet, coughing once dead? Would not the diaphragm have to move? confused

Owen
Corpses can breath, fart, s**t, piss, spunk, murmer, sing (though not in real words) and have muscle spasms, but cannot coughor sneeze

sweatdrop

I just want to say that those posts were a valid progression of topic...It is what followed that is cause for concern

Not really. Invalid because of it not being true as well as being of CB presentation and UK Guild content.  

Invictus_88
Captain

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:18 am
So, can we please clear up, what actually is legal in this guild, and what isn't?  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:21 am
Julian, I think what you just mentioned in the Yoghurt Thread could be a viable alternative.

whapcapn
Nebelstern
I think that once you edit the first post to make it a sticky, it corrupts the poll and therefore cannot stickify it. The solution would be to create another yoghurt thread. Which is pointless. We have a guild. xp

Speaking of the Yoghurt guild, why don't we just make it the spam subsiduary of the GBG? It could solve a few problems. After all, there's only so much one can say about yoghurt before it descends into spam.

Nebelstern
Crew

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:21 am
Gaulia
I mean, instead of a few spam threads and a load of spam posts, you can just have one designated spam thread. Or something like that.

It was the spamlessness that encouraged the best of the British Gaians to apply. As the content falls, so too does the quility of the applicant. Fortunately we still get decent applicants but the number of them is falling in relation to the spammers who need turning away.

Spam threads? There are plenty in the Chatterbox, feel free to PM me a link. If you wish, I can make a directory of threads made by regular GBG Patrons. They'll all have links to them and could be sorted according the their content CB/GD/ED or what-have-you.

It'd be a far better option than having nonspecific threads in here.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:23 am
Nebelstern
Julian, I think what you just mentioned in the Yoghurt Thread could be a viable alternative.

whapcapn
Nebelstern
I think that once you edit the first post to make it a sticky, it corrupts the poll and therefore cannot stickify it. The solution would be to create another yoghurt thread. Which is pointless. We have a guild. xp

Speaking of the Yoghurt guild, why don't we just make it the spam subsiduary of the GBG? It could solve a few problems. After all, there's only so much one can say about yoghurt before it descends into spam.

Don't hate me for saying this but I think that's kind of unfair on Gaulia that we only use her guild for wasteful spam. Afterall she did make that guild for us, would it really be fair to just use it in that way? You probably could come up with spamless topics about Yoghurt.  

dreaming_mouse

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:24 am
Invictus_88
Gaulia
I mean, instead of a few spam threads and a load of spam posts, you can just have one designated spam thread. Or something like that.

It was the spamlessness that encouraged the best of the British Gaians to apply. As the content falls, so too does the quility of the applicant. Fortunately we still get decent applicants but the number of them is falling in relation to the spammers who need turning away.

Spam threads? There are plenty in the Chatterbox, feel free to PM me a link. If you wish, I can make a directory of threads made by regular GBG Patrons. They'll all have links to them and could be sorted according the their content CB/GD/ED or what-have-you.

It'd be a far better option than having nonspecific threads in here.

What do you think of the idea about just using the yoghurt guidl for GBG spam? Of course, it would require cooperation with Gaulia, which of course is now rather difficult to achieve, but it might be a rather good idea. Of course, we don't just want any spammers in the yoghurt guild. Maybe it should be only open to GBG members who go in for our own very special brand of spam?  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:25 am
Then the alternative is to make ANOTHER guild. Which I really don't want to have to do...

I think that Francis' idea of a directory of spam threads and links is a good one. Not quite sure what would happen if Gaia decideds to randomly change links like it did once before...

Nebelstern
Crew

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:32 am
I do think that there's a difference between the kind of spam that's been cropping up in the GBG and ordinary CB spam, though. Here's an example:
Owen: Maybe we come here for the witty repast.
Me: Owen, how can a meal be witty?
Owen: How about alphabeti spaghetti?
Me: I suppose it is possible to be witty with alphabeti spaghetti, but I'm certain that's not what you meant.
Owen: It could have been...
Me: Yes, but it wasn't, was it.
Indie_chick: How about alphabeti yoghurt?
Owen: Well, that's a different matter altogether....

Those aren't the exact words of the exchange, but it went something like that. I think you'll agree that, while this is technically spam, it's rather a better class of spam than ordinary Chatterbox spam.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:58 am
Arivel wants to get back some of the older members she used to like, as she commented on in an IM conversation...

IM conversation
[23:41] AngelArivel: Man... what's happened to all the really cool old members... I'm assuming they all left... *is going through old threads* I wonder what happened to Fallen Down A Lift Shaft... And Longbow UK... and all of them...
[23:42] AngelArivel: Oh yeah, *suddenly remembers* Fallen Down A Lift Shaft changed his name to j0sef.
[23:42] Nebelstern: We must post them PMs
[23:42] AngelArivel: Yes, we must....
[23:43] Nebelstern: lol
[23:43] AngelArivel: When did you join GBG?
[23:43] Nebelstern: About 2 months ago
[23:43] Nebelstern: Why?
[23:44] AngelArivel: just wondered... I couldn't remember... That was about the time the guild really started picking up. It was dying-ish when I joined.
[23:44] Nebelstern: I see

Nebelstern
Crew

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:07 am
Nebelstern
Arivel wants to get back some of the older members she used to like, as she commented on in an IM conversation...

IM conversation
[23:41] AngelArivel: Man... what's happened to all the really cool old members... I'm assuming they all left... *is going through old threads* I wonder what happened to Fallen Down A Lift Shaft... And Longbow UK... and all of them...
[23:42] AngelArivel: Oh yeah, *suddenly remembers* Fallen Down A Lift Shaft changed his name to j0sef.
[23:42] Nebelstern: We must post them PMs
[23:42] AngelArivel: Yes, we must....
[23:43] Nebelstern: lol
[23:43] AngelArivel: When did you join GBG?
[23:43] Nebelstern: About 2 months ago
[23:43] Nebelstern: Why?
[23:44] AngelArivel: just wondered... I couldn't remember... That was about the time the guild really started picking up. It was dying-ish when I joined.
[23:44] Nebelstern: I see

I remember Longbow UK and Fallen Down a Lift Shaft. didn't know he'd changed his name thought. I sort of assumed they'd left Gaia. Never really bothered to check though. I got on pretty well wtih Longbow. He was another Tolkien geek. And j0sef liked Radiohead =D  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:09 am
whapcapn
Can I jsut say again, I really don't think deviation is the same thing as spam. I think deviation is perfectly legitimate in this guild, and Illy and Invi certainly used to be prime culprits, as I recall. A thread is just like a conversation - it can't possibly be expected to stay on the same subject all the time. Providing it doesn't turn into pointless spam, I think deviation is fine.
EDIT: Alternatively, we could just put Erix in charge of everything. He'll sort it all out.

What we are talking about here is when a little deviation turns into spam. This is one of the parts that makes it difficult to decide on what should or should not be deleted.  

Lord Jagged

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:17 am
Lord Jagged
whapcapn
Can I jsut say again, I really don't think deviation is the same thing as spam. I think deviation is perfectly legitimate in this guild, and Illy and Invi certainly used to be prime culprits, as I recall. A thread is just like a conversation - it can't possibly be expected to stay on the same subject all the time. Providing it doesn't turn into pointless spam, I think deviation is fine.
EDIT: Alternatively, we could just put Erix in charge of everything. He'll sort it all out.

What we are talking about here is when a little deviation turns into spam. This is one of the parts that makes it difficult to decide on what should or should not be deleted.

Well, of course. I'm thinking particularly of Owen's post about what corpses can do. He certianly didn't express himself in a very gentlemanly manner, and maybe it wasn't true, but I don't think that makes it spam. For a start, you can't go around deleting everything that isn't true. he may have been misinformed. I don't think the fact he was rather crude abut it makes it spam either, to be honest. And, it was relevant to the discussion that was going on at the time.
I think that for something to be acutally spam, it has to not really say anything at all, or be totally unrelated to the topic and current subject of discussion.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:30 am
Umm, if you look at the threads, theya ll seem to be the kind in which everyone can post one comment and then just leave it be, the deviation appears in the intervening time, and it seems that only in the threads originally designed for discussion that we get spam  

and_solo_said

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:52 am
dreaming_mouse
Nebelstern

whapcapn
Nebelstern

Don't hate me for saying this but I think that's kind of unfair on Gaulia that we only use her guild for wasteful spam. Afterall she did make that guild for us, would it really be fair to just use it in that way? You probably could come up with spamless topics about Yoghurt.

Well, we would see what Gaulia thinks of it, of course. But this would be special yoghurty spam *refrains from making the obvious pun*. Take a look at it now, it's mostly spam anyway.  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff