Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Great British Religion. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you religious?
Anglican (Church of England)
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Catholic
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Baptist
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Methodist
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other Protestant Christian
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Muslim
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Sikh
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Pagan/Wiccan/Heathen/other (specify)
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Atheist
39%
 39%  [ 9 ]
Agnostic (not sure)
30%
 30%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 23

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:18 am
I'm slightly bothered that agnostic is listed as "(not sure)". Agnosticism isn't about indecision or not being able to make your mind up, it's about accepting that there's no way to prove whether a God exists and often simply lacking a belief either way.  
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:44 am
Maybe he means agnostic OR not sure? Who can tell the mind of the almighty Erix?
Athiest. unequivocally. I believe only in Erix.  

Boolean Julian
Crew

illyrianth
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:49 pm
ninja  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:58 am
out of the ones in the poll I have to say "Agnostic", I have believes not religion.  

Shaded Spriter

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:37 am
Foetus In Fetu
I'm slightly bothered that agnostic is listed as "(not sure)". Agnosticism isn't about indecision or not being able to make your mind up, it's about accepting that there's no way to prove whether a God exists and often simply lacking a belief either way.

Yay... and I was about to complain.

I'm an agnostic, mostly universist, but I have deist leanings.

Confirmed Catholic, though; but I have no real religion now, I find most as appealing as eating my own faeces, no offence.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:02 am
Confirmed Catholic, met Kate at a confirmation class when I was working with the local church youth group.

I am actually agnostic now, Existentialist.

I don't really see that it is possible to prove the exisence or nonexistence of God but I don't actually care a good deal either. It is largely irellevant to our existence.

Invictus_88
Captain

Zoutout

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:38 am
Existentialist? Are you sure you don't mean Solopsist?

If you're existentialist you must believe in radical freedom, then.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:50 am
Zoutout
Existentialist? Are you sure you don't mean Solopsist?

If you're existentialist you must believe in radical freedom, then.

Solipsism is too extreme and too narrow. Existentialism is also a looser term and so more easily applied to my thoughts.

Not radical freedom really, great degrees of freedom though.

Invictus_88
Captain

Talythia Starseeker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:59 pm
Atheist - my parents are/were both Catholic, but I was never christened (or is it baptised with Catholics? I can never remember which way round it is...), never been to church other than the usual school Christmas and Easter services, and never cared to waste my time reading the Bible. My parents never really spoke about religion or tried to brainwash my brother and I into believeing in anything - I know my Mum thinks religion should be a private, quiet thing. I believed in God in a wishy-washy way until I was about 9 or 10, then it went the same way as belief in other invisible people like the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus when I really began to think for myself.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:00 pm
Reading the bible is not a waste of time. If I didn't read the bible, I'd have no argumentative ammo to throw at the thiests.  

Boolean Julian
Crew

x.Tag.Youre__Pregnant.]]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:14 pm
No offence to buddhists- but I wouldnt consider that a religion, more a way of thinking and a way of life. You dont pray or worship or anything, you just try to have a completely pure life, and to acheive what buddha acheived, and reach enlightenment.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:13 pm
A Lost Iguana
Foetus In Fetu

Yay... and I was about to complain.

They actually taught that agnosticism was about not being about to make your mind up at my school. ;_;

I'm an agnostic (weak) atheist, but I just think of myself as an agnostic. I don't like the connotations that atheism carries in a lot of people's minds, especially for someone of my age. I get the feeling that if I told some people I was an agnostic atheist all they would hear was "I hate religion and religious people; I'm also really naive, please imply that I don't know my own mind and need educating with regards to spiritual and religious matters".  

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:30 pm
I'm not one of those, by the way, I have very good reasons for being an Athiest. I just tend not to post them, as people usually end up ignoring them.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:43 pm
whapcapn
I'm not one of those, by the way, I have very good reasons for being an Athiest. I just tend not to post them, as people usually end up ignoring them.

I wasn't attacking atheists, I was being frustrated at the view that all atheists are like that.  

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:55 am
Foetus In Fetu
whapcapn

I wasn't attacking atheists, I was being frustrated at the view that all atheists are like that.

No, I understand that. I was just making sure people didn't think I was like that, since I haven't posted any of my personal arguments. gonk  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff