Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Irish Celtic Paganism FAQ Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

vincent_1126

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:24 am
reagun ban
vincent_1126
i've always wanted to go there, mainly because i like the rain and i heard it was humid and rained a lot, among other reasons. (potatoes)

True on both fronts. When I was first down in the boyfs family home, we planted potatoes (the plants of which are now three feet tall).
sweet, sounds cool
vincent_1126
cool, that sounds pretty interesting, i'd like to know more about your religion.

I was trying to keep it to general Irish Celtic Paganism as opposed to my specific branch. The person who brought me into our rather small obscure cult claims that WB Yeats had a hand in starting us off, but I don't know how much credence I lend that.
ah, i want to learn about it in general and your specific branch if you want to share about that  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:21 am
Reagun can you recomend any books or anything on accurate information? I'm really interested in learning about this path. Maybe not practice but learn.  

Charity.Solei

vincent_1126

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:41 am
Charity.l.bedell
Reagun can you recomend any books or anything on accurate information? I'm really interested in learning about this path. Maybe not practice but learn.
3nodding yeah, same here  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:25 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Charity.Solei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:06 pm
*writes them down* thank you.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:46 pm
It's interesting the connections I find between some things sometime, or where knowledge learned in one place strangely translates to something else. So it was when I fell upon the word "Geas" in this FAQ. I thought first "hey... that's a sorcerer/wizard spell in Dungeons and Dragons... so this thing actually has a historical origin?" And indeed, the way you described it, it functions exactly like the spell description in the RPG handbook. Makes me wonder what other gems of knowledge lie within RPG systems... all of which were probably at least in part created from research and use of actual magical concepts.

And for a question... does the Irish path have any sort of code of honor or of conduct?  

Starlock

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:27 pm
Starlock
It's interesting the connections I find between some things sometime, or where knowledge learned in one place strangely translates to something else. So it was when I fell upon the word "Geas" in this FAQ. I thought first "hey... that's a sorcerer/wizard spell in Dungeons and Dragons... so this thing actually has a historical origin?" And indeed, the way you described it, it functions exactly like the spell description in the RPG handbook. Makes me wonder what other gems of knowledge lie within RPG systems... all of which were probably at least in part created from research and use of actual magical concepts.

D&D, WOTC in general, The White wolf games plagurised most of their Gods, spells and concepts from all of the great mythological cycles.

Starlock
And for a question... does the Irish path have any sort of code of honor or of conduct?

Well, it would all depend on the God you follow. Different Gods have different expectations. Not the answer you were looking for, I realise, however I can't give you a clear cut answer.
In short, there is no one code of honour or conduct. All Celtic Recons would be expected to follow Brehon law though, IMHO  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:16 am
reagun ban
Apart from that, there is a limited amount of teaching I am willing to do over the net. You could be crazy, you could be after power, you could be anything. It's too much responsibility to take upon myself over such a limited medium.
that's perfectly understandable and that's fine with me, whatever you feel like teaching, teach it but if you don't feel like teaching, then don't thats cool with me  

vincent_1126

Starlock

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:08 am
Starlock
"reagun ban
Starlock

Well, it would all depend on the God you follow. Different Gods have different expectations. Not the answer you were looking for, I realise, however I can't give you a clear cut answer.
In short, there is no one code of honour or conduct. All Celtic Recons would be expected to follow Brehon law though, IMHO

Nah, that's a perfectly okay answer. I didn't expect they'd have a singular code. It must be nice to live in a European country and be able to have access to much older lineages and more legit covens. They had them over in Europe first, after all. whee  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:57 pm
What's your take on the Celtic attraction to 3s and in between places? I've heard it described as Celtic lore being focused around liminal spaces - that is times when you're neither one thing nor another. DO you find that carries through your life, or did I get handed a pile of overanalytic bullshit?  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:01 pm
Deoridhe
What's your take on the Celtic attraction to 3s and in between places? I've heard it described as Celtic lore being focused around liminal spaces - that is times when you're neither one thing nor another. DO you find that carries through your life, or did I get handed a pile of overanalytic bullshit?

Actually, it's true.
There are many triune Gods and Goddesses. Three Witches have a lot of power, three circles entwined (I can pull up more if you like)
In between places, definately important. The Tuatha De were banished to one such place, the Shadow-world. Souls often get Shattered and bits of them sent to such places.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:09 pm
Alright I know it's been a while since this thread has seen the light of the first page..but I can't help it.

And I was promised that if I did the necro work, then someone else would ask a few questions ninja .

And if no one wants this thread necro'ed then I understand and will not be sad if it gets locked and pushed back again.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:35 pm
Is it just me, or is the spacing really screwy in this topic?  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:40 pm
maenad nuri
Is it just me, or is the spacing really screwy in this topic?

It isn't just you. I clicked on it and immediately thought the same thing.  

TagraNar

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:00 pm
This happened in another guild I'm in as well.
Don't worry. It should go back to normal once the thread gets onto a new page.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff