Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild
Invasion of the Uke D: Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Darktl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:00 pm
Graceful crisis
*Agrees* Alot of Uke characters are too whiney .. gonk
I love stuff like Yellow, where they are both.. real men .. Yeah.. heart

D:
I wanna buy that manga, but I don't know where to hide it.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:32 pm
LadyNox
I don't know... it's been like this as far back as I can remember. I think the difference now is that there is a much greater amount of acessible BL manga, making it look like there's been an increase. Uber fem ukes, whine ukes, childish uke (and any combination of those and other stereotypes) have been around forever. So much so I spend a lot of time avoiding those stories.

I don't like femmy men, but I'd really like for them to act more like men than women.

I agree. 3nodding  

ph34r t3h b3cc4

Yofiel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:12 pm
...Yeah, actually. I'm all for the whiney/childlike ukes and girly bishounen and such... But Quite often I find myself wishing there was more yaoi with guys who... Well, look/act like guys >.>

Which is probably the main reason I'm so determind to get my hands on Ai No Kusabi... XD Which looks absolutely awsome <3  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:00 pm
ShadowedMoonlight
Being a little feminine is one thing, but being a whiny brat is another. A lot of uke these days seem to be acting like spoiled five year olds... it doesn't make me happy. I don't think that it's something that was triggered by Gravi, however. Character personalities seem to come and go in trends. This is the current one.

Miusyra
I know it's rated a bit higher,
but I happen to like Ai no Kusabi,
because the uke (I forget his name),
is very stubborn....
Very male....
He fights for his rights as a strong character....
He doesn't act like the simpering fools
that most uke's have turned into.....
(But don't get me wrong,
a soft uke is nice once in a while....
But I perfer the strong, independant,
male ukes....)

You mean Riki? Yes, he's a good uke character. He isn't ye typical spineless steryotype.

Yes! Thank you. 4laugh
I'm not very good with names,
but I happen to think he's a good example
of a strong Uke......  

Miusyra

Graceful crisis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:42 am
Darktl
Graceful crisis
*Agrees* Alot of Uke characters are too whiney .. gonk
I love stuff like Yellow, where they are both.. real men .. Yeah.. heart

D:
I wanna buy that manga, but I don't know where to hide it.

On your shelf heart Behind your other books heart That's where I hide my yaoi ninja  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:46 pm
hmm... It is quite popular... Target in the Finder though, I'm thinking that he's a "guy" uke, but now I'm not sure. He did kinda whine a lot... about not being gay. But in like, One thousand and One nights the uke's very girly (well, he passes himself of as his sister...) I can't think of any other examples.

Oh yeah, and hiding them behind your other books is indeed the best place for them ^^

Blue~x~Rose

Pax et lux

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:43 pm
For-Chan Cookie
Honestly, I think that stereotype exists because of Japan's view of women. Desirable woman are not smart mature ladies with a good head on their shoulders, men want young immature women. Men practically worship schoolgirls, they go as far as to buy their used panties! Since that's what men are looking for, that is seen as the woman's place, or the submissive partner. Many people cite slash as being about an equality in the relationship. I don't think a lot of yaoi actually has that. There's still a lot of people who have to make one character a woman. They make them women by visiting that Japanese stereotype of an ideal woman.

Personally, the whole whiny protesting uke annoys the crap out of me, but some people think that's how it's got to be. I wish there would be a little more variety in characterization out there. Here's hoping that with the rise of yaoi and more artists and writers from other countries and other perspectives getting into the game, the world of yaoi will open up.

domokun heart  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:59 pm
Ehh... *thinks about it* Well... yes, I guess most uke are now more like that, but it isn't the end of the world yet since not all are, so let's cheer and stuff until then! *thinks about it a bit more* I'll stick with that statement. xd  

The Saddened Watchman

blackwhiteandsilver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:34 pm
Mm, I love ukes that look girly and act soft and loveable.

I think what bothers me is when they act all melodramatic and soap operaish.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:56 pm
Blue~x~Rose
hmm... It is quite popular... Target in the Finder though, I'm thinking that he's a "guy" uke, but now I'm not sure. He did kinda whine a lot... about not being gay.

Well, considering the situation he was in, I think any whining he did was justified. It was more protesting, really. I think he's a pretty good, non-sterotypical uke.  

ShadowedMoonlight

Ruthless Sweetheart

tenshi_darien

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:04 pm
Aerine Lillet
Mm, I love ukes that look girly and act soft and loveable.

I think what bothers me is when they act all melodramatic and soap operaish.

ditto
">.>
the ukes
I dislike are clingy and annoying
and I think thats about it

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:01 pm
Well, I like both the male ukes and the pretty effeminate ukes. Is that OK? sweatdrop I'm not picky, as long as they don't get all PMS-ish  

SilverMaple
Crew

Sparkly Lover

such a mess

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:06 pm
Well, I'm into both types but I do have to agree there is an invasion of the effeminate uke around lately. I am totally guilty of creating effeminate uke - as some of my original characters do generally look like females. Then again, it's kinda my style of drawing.

Still, I'd rather not have characters with clingy or attaching personalities as well. I mean, you can only go so far with the female stuff before it goes... overboard? XD

I'd rather have my characters acting remotely male. And I would want the same with most characters in yaoi or june.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:15 pm
Okay I am admitting..I like being a femmy uke....but it is not like I lost my manliness...I am just a bit tired of it is all...I shall return to being manly when I am good and ready...I am not clingy...and I am not b*tchy...  

Mister Dapper

D ! n o c o c k .

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:47 pm
When I'm Standing In The Pouring Rain, I Don't Mind...

I love the immature, clingy uke stereotype. I also believe there is a limitation to how much that type of character can be used, however. I feel like I want to be the clingy kind of uke when I find myself a boyfriend. But ukes shouldn't always be, well, ukes. It's always fun to see the uke take over the show for once. 4laugh

I Think Of You, And Everything's Alright

The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces