Malystryx
  Who?
  The Dragon Overlord?
View Results

Bookwyrme

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:17 pm
Kai Errant
Bookwyrme
Many Waters. Not one of her best, IMHO. She's like a lot of good authors--writes excellent first books & then whatever series starts on a downward slope. With L'Engle it is a gradual slope, at least, but by Many Waters it's definitely there.

I actually rather enjoyed Many Waters. At least, I liked it a lot more than I liked a few of the Vicky Austin novels. The Nephilim, the setting, and the characters really intregued me. But to each his own, I suppose.

Indeed smile

Though I have much the same opinion of the Vicky Austin novels--Good start (though not as good as Wrinkle) but a slight lessening of quality from one book to the next. For one thing, I got extremely tired of Zack reforming & then unreforming--and no one commenting on it.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:33 am
Bookwyrme
Indeed smile

Though I have much the same opinion of the Vicky Austin novels--Good start (though not as good as Wrinkle) but a slight lessening of quality from one book to the next. For one thing, I got extremely tired of Zack reforming & then unreforming--and no one commenting on it.
I didn't read all of the Vicky Austin books, but I only seem to recall Zack in one of them (Moon by Night, I believe). Although, by the way they were carrying on, they obviously knew each other from before. I must have missed that book.

I just don't remember anything interesting happening in those ones. I suppose it's an accurate reflection of a character's life--sometimes they're being kidnapped in Antarctica and sometimes they're angsting about a boyfriend--but I found the former (and most of the books that didn't involve Vicky) more interesting.

I did like how all (well, most) of her characters interconnected. It's a neat little universe.

Lady Greenwitch
...Wikipedia isn't a good source! Anyone can write it!
Go to Marsh Arabs. On one of them a friend of mine wrote 'they eat monkeys in olive oil", it's probably still there.

According to the dictionary the fourth dimension is "a postulated spatial dimension additional to those determing length, area and volume."
Copied word for word.

Also, the Mrs. W's themselves say that they're dead stars. "Gaurdian Angels" is a religious image and I hate it when people apply religion to books like that. Her books are a bit religious, but I like to ignore that. They're less fun when you see them from that point of view.
Wikipedia works well enough if you only need a general idea of what something is. Enough people who know what they're doing check up on things and delete things that are incorrect that, unless you're writing an essay or you need something more definately true, it is usually good enough. The "Marsh Arabs" entry no longer contains the word "monkey" anywhere in it. The entry on tesseracts probably ought to say someplace more obvious that it is only a theory, though, and that's part of the reason why it can only impart general ideas.

Madeline L'Engle is a Christian, and a lot of Christianity is visible in her work. It's subtle enough one could ignore it if he really wanted to, but it is still there. I think the philosophical standpoint is part of the appeal of the books.  

Kai Errant

JRay18

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:07 pm
I read a Wrinkle in Time once, but it didn't really interest me, just not enough going on in it, of course, i read it a couple years ago when i was young and ignorant, so it might seem better now. xp xd  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:07 am
I just reread Wrinkle, and I changed my mind. If you can't see the Christianity in those books, you aren't looking.

But it was amazing. I really want to find and reread the other two now.  

Kai Errant

VampireDevyn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:24 am
I read the book last year and really enjoyed it. At first I did not care for it, but the story kept geting larger which kept me reading, most of the time the books that I dont like I donate. This one I kept. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:55 pm
Kai Errant
I just reread Wrinkle, and I changed my mind. If you can't see the Christianity in those books, you aren't looking.

Sighs...

Okay, that's sort of...silly. It really is.
It's the Hero theme.
Why does no one ever read Power of Myth? It explains it all, and I KNOW that there have to be other books that do the same thing.

I've read Wrinkle many times over, and I don't find the Christianity, besides being the main religion, at all blatant. That may be, though, because I have no interest in Christianity and learned about the Crusades before any other more...appealing bit of history.

Many Waters, on the other hand...Now THAT'S focused on so-called "Chrisitanity", even though it's actually a stolen legend about the Black Sea. sweatdrop

Though actually...Every culture has a myth of that sort-anyway, my point remains.  

Pwale

900 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100

Black_Rose10

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:54 pm
Galadedrid Damodred
By Madeline l'Engle. It's a bit strange, very different, but very good! It's about a girl named Meg, her brother Charles Wallace and her friend Calvin. Oh, and a trio of guardian angels known as the Mrs W's. Has anyone read it?

I love the wrinkle in time I read the hole seires!  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:00 pm
Gosh, it's been ages since I've read this series. I remember I loved it, but it's been so long I can't remember anything specific. For that reason I'll hold off on commenting on the religion bit as I don't trust my memory.  

doodlebuggey88

Ashtaye

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:00 pm
I love this series. I liked Many Waters, the best, actually. :3  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:48 pm
Kai Errant

In a way, I did.  

Madame --Madd-- Hatter

Firefox25

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:33 pm
Jeeze Its been a long time since I read those books. They don't have them in the high school library domokun I love what I remember about them tho'.I need to buy them*puts them on x-mas list*  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:47 am
I've read them and remember loving A Wind in the Door, but I can never seem to remember what happened in the books that I don't own. I love A Swiftly Tilting Planet (that's the one with Maddog or Maddoc, etc) and Many Waters (despite the blatant christian theme, it was still very cute and I love the Nephilim ^_^)  

Nebbie

Night-tears-cry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:25 am
I love a wrinkle in time enough that I read it to my kids. They loved it and were excited to see the movie. Although my son said he likes it better when I read it to him. heart  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:09 am
Madeline l'Engle passed away earlier in the summer. I read her books and enjoyed the main books centering around Meg and Calvin. I haven't read the Austin books yet, might if I could ever find them lol.  

Darth_Magus1

Mardil

Witty Werewolf

9,175 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Big Tipper 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:29 pm
I did read it once. I was a bit disappointed though. sweatdrop *dodges angry glares* It started out promising enough, but the characters didn't really hold my interest. And interesting characters are a big part of why I read fantasy. (Okay, the immortal characters were decent, but the book wasn't focused on them.)  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff