Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.
Scotland's independence. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Seperate or not?
  Seperate!
  Not!
  Undecided!
View Results

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:07 pm
ficklefiend
No, no,no,no, no, no, NO!!

Of course, I have no problem with getting our own parliament and a chance to make politics a bit more local, also a spot for a Scottish representitive on the European council wouldn't go amiss, get the fishing sorted and all that.

Agreed.

Does this have anything to do with the SNLA's threat to poison English water supplies on the 10th?
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1990011.html?menu=news.lifestyle

(Stupid, horrible idea)  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:47 am
ice_illusion
ficklefiend

Of course, I have no problem with getting our own parliament and a chance to make politics a bit more local, also a spot for a Scottish representitive on the European council wouldn't go amiss, get the fishing sorted and all that.

Agreed.

Does this have anything to do with the SNLA's threat to poison English water supplies on the 10th?

(Stupid, horrible idea)

If these people get serious, IRA style, I'm certainly joining the army.  

Invictus_88
Captain

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:37 am
Invictus_88
ice_illusion

(Stupid, horrible idea)

I don't think they have quite enough support.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:26 am
ice_illusion
Invictus_88
ice_illusion

(Stupid, horrible idea)

I don't think they have quite enough support.

I doubt any of the recruits they would get would have the know-how to poison a large supply of water anyway. (Also, do they think England has one great big reservoir or something, it's a totally unworkable plan!)  

ficklefiend
Crew

Deo_Machina

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:09 pm
ice_illusion
ficklefiend

Agreed.

(Stupid, horrible idea)

People are actually going to attempt that?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:31 am
i think you're asking if Scotland should be part of the UK or not.

i don't think it should be if it doesn't want to be. i think it's unfair for any country to be a part of something they don't what to part of.
if the majority of Scots want to leave the UK then i feel it should. i feel any country that wants independance should be allowed, for instance Northern Ireland or Cornwall.

i also feel this way about Britian and the EU. if we don't want to be part of it then who's right is it to force us?  

Die Ewige Kaiserin

and_solo_said

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:38 am
I seriously doubt that the majority of Scots want to break up the union.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:09 am
and_solo_said

What makes you think that?  

Die Ewige Kaiserin

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:06 pm
Lady Germania
and_solo_said

That would be the best moaning point gone if we did that.
Anyway, we're jus using them in our big masterplan. 3nodding But don't tell those Southern pansies that. razz  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:23 pm
Lady Germania
and_solo_said

Well really the main debate here is between Scots, and whether or not they want to continue to be part of the UK, and what is best for Scotland; not about "Scotland wants to be free, Britain doesn't". If the vast majority of Scots wanted to be an independant nation, I think seperation would eventually be inevitable.  

Boolean Julian
Crew

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:40 am
Quote:
Finally, two constitutional questions. About a third - 33% - backed Scottish independence as against 63% who wanted the status quo, Scotland within the UK.

That is in keeping with other polls and indicates, once again, that support for independence appears to run ahead of voting support for the SNP.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/vote_2005/scotland/4429781.stm  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:15 pm
and_solo_said
Deo_Machina
Bribery?

Its how you get companies to move to an undesirable area. You give them money and tax benefits. Its how the regenerated Sheffield.

So Scotland is undesirable?

EDIT: For that matter, is Sheffield also undesirable?  

Lemmie

ficklefiend
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:10 pm
I think the problem with Scotland is we are solidly divided about independance. There are positives and negatives on both sides of the arguement, but the whole thing is clouded by too many people who have never travelled anywhere clinging to romantic ideas about freedom after watching too much Braveheart.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:24 am
Lemmie
and_solo_said
Deo_Machina
Bribery?

Its how you get companies to move to an undesirable area. You give them money and tax benefits. Its how the regenerated Sheffield.

So Scotland is undesirable?

EDIT: For that matter, is Sheffield also undesirable?

Well, for businesses, yes they are. Though less so now with Sheffield though, I believe.

They are a long way from London/The South, and in areas of some poverty. Graduates tend to prefer working in the south too, and the further a place is from London the more incentives you have to offer to get graduate employees and management.

It's not impossible to do, of course, but from the perspective of industry it seems that these places are to a degree undesirable. I could reference here the fuss kicked up by Civil Service when various departments were moved from Central London to South Wales and the north.

Invictus_88
Captain

Tsamikayu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:43 am
Hmm . . . personally I don't know about being completely separated from the Union. I don't know enough about it all to comment properly.

Sometimes I feel annoyed that Scotland is effectively controlled by a government so far away. It seems out of touch. But we have our own parliament thing going on, so that's not so much of a bother.

Sometimes I feel annoyed because, since we are ultimately led by whoever's Prime Minister, we can be led into things we don't agree with. If Scotland (or Ireland, or Wales) doesn't agree with something England wants, we can't seem to do anything about it. We can't distance ourselves.

As I said, I don't know nearly enough about this to comment properly, so if someone wants to correct me in my views, feel free ^_^  
The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games