why the rum gone *cries*
  Pilage first then burn
View Results

Dymphna Aduvh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:58 pm
ResidentOfDarkness
ResidentOfDarkness
TheSteven
last pirate morgan I knew slept with his rapier marshal's wife and subsequently got kicked off the pirate ship. :/

Plus, morgan has been done many times for pirates. Captan morgan rum... Morgan from cutthroat island...Henry Morgan...

I mean, it IS a good name, but like the second paragraph up there, very obvious pirate name. Course, you could change it a bit... North Scottish is Morgund, greek is Pelagius, For girl names(I saw you add that 'a' to the end of morgan there... morgana?) ... Morgance, which means 'sea-dweller' in celtic, or morgandy which is 'one from the sea' Heck... pretty much any name that has the word 'mor' in it will have something to do with the sea.

What nationality is your persona from? Are you a spanish pirate? English? Irish? French?

im thinking english or french. morgana has been my idea for an sca name since i was middle easter (5 yrs ago)
i really like king aurther and morgana was his sister. i also like the name

You can try for Morgana for a name but be prepared to be mistaken for another who has that name.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:44 pm
Kittywitch
ResidentOfDarkness
[Atropa Belladonna]
Kittywitch
ResidentOfDarkness
Another thing you should consider is the exact time period. While pirate does suggest something later, there have been pirates as long as there has been ships. (Techinically, one could consider vikings a form of pirate) Morgana, however, I think sounds a bit earlier.
But that may just be me.
Actually Vikings did significantly more honest farming and trading than they did looting and plundering. The more violent image is just more interesting and thus more popular.

ive told that to a couple of my history teachers IM TEACHING HERE DAMNIT thought them all
Yes, that may be true, however, one cannot out and out deny that the vikings did any raiding at all. I mean, come on, most everyone in that era hem, borrowed things from their neighbors.

And happy talk like a pirate day. pirate

oh yes we pirates, buccaners, and vinkings prefer the term borrowing  

MorganOfCalafia

MorganOfCalafia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:44 pm
DragonScaper
ResidentOfDarkness
ResidentOfDarkness
TheSteven
last pirate morgan I knew slept with his rapier marshal's wife and subsequently got kicked off the pirate ship. :/

Plus, morgan has been done many times for pirates. Captan morgan rum... Morgan from cutthroat island...Henry Morgan...

I mean, it IS a good name, but like the second paragraph up there, very obvious pirate name. Course, you could change it a bit... North Scottish is Morgund, greek is Pelagius, For girl names(I saw you add that 'a' to the end of morgan there... morgana?) ... Morgance, which means 'sea-dweller' in celtic, or morgandy which is 'one from the sea' Heck... pretty much any name that has the word 'mor' in it will have something to do with the sea.

What nationality is your persona from? Are you a spanish pirate? English? Irish? French?

im thinking english or french. morgana has been my idea for an sca name since i was middle easter (5 yrs ago)

You can try for Morgana for a name but be prepared to be mistaken for another who has that name.

oops did i say french?!? i hate the french  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:36 am
ResidentOfDarkness
I never thought I'd ever have to be politically correct to a viking.
Of course, it is better than upsetting them by far...  

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150

MorganOfCalafia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:57 pm
ResidentOfDarkness
DragonScaper
ResidentOfDarkness
ResidentOfDarkness
TheSteven

oops did i say french?!? i hate the french

i ment english or irish  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:58 am
"Pay attention, you must learn
first you pillage, then you burn."

(*grins) that's all I could think of for this poll!

Dea Mariella

Dema

1,550 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:43 pm
ResidentOfDarkness
Kittywitch
ResidentOfDarkness
[Atropa Belladonna]
Kittywitch
ResidentOfDarkness
Another thing you should consider is the exact time period. While pirate does suggest something later, there have been pirates as long as there has been ships. (Techinically, one could consider vikings a form of pirate) Morgana, however, I think sounds a bit earlier.
But that may just be me.
Actually Vikings did significantly more honest farming and trading than they did looting and plundering. The more violent image is just more interesting and thus more popular.

ive told that to a couple of my history teachers IM TEACHING HERE DAMNIT thought them all
Yes, that may be true, however, one cannot out and out deny that the vikings did any raiding at all. I mean, come on, most everyone in that era hem, borrowed things from their neighbors.

And happy talk like a pirate day. pirate

BTW not to be picky (acctually to be very picky I'm just trying to be polite LOL) but the term Viking is a verb, the acctual people were Norsemen and when they went to *coughs* "borrow" things it was refered to as going A Viking ^_^

Sorry my best friend has a Norse persona and he's forever correcting people on that and it's just rubbed off on me LOL ^_^  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:29 pm
Ok. There is good advice here. Do research on your persona and name. Not many people actually went out looking to become pirates in the day. Generally it was the last hope they had. At least that is the information I have says and I'm sure there were exceptions.

As for the Norse. Its correct that we are Norseman and to go a viking was a profession. It was a respected profession though and it did have some rules. Never raid from another norseman was one of the few and one of the best known.

Just make sure you do do research first.

As a herald I suggest avoiding the name Morgan(a). It is one of the most common names in the Society. It's considered one of the premier trouble names because there is little documentation for it before the 1500s in truth except in stories and most of those were rewritten in the 1500s. It can and will be registered if you truly want it but I just suggest avoiding it.  

Snaebjorn

Not-So-Sweet Transvestite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:51 pm
The foremost problem with pirate personae is that until post-period (the baroque period for example) pirates looked pretty much like anybody else. Most of the traditionaly "piratey" items, like striped stockings, are very modern indeed (the socks for example are victorian, and worn by the royal navy rather than brigands). The closest you'll come truely in-period to piratey glory is as a sea dog--but don't expect people to know you for a pirate on-sight.

Of course, the SCA is less-than-strict in most cases on exact period, and only a few people are miffed when you stretch the limits. However, if you go pirate, do it right, or else you'll never be accepted by those who do. There are some REALLY good pirate groups out there, and is a very cool thing to hang out with them.

The first thing to do, though, is to abandon any imitations of Jack Sparrow you had cooking in your little head right now. Not tomorrow. Not next week. Right now... Unless you crave violence toward your person and expulsion from parties. I've seen it. Kin turns against kin, brother-in-arms against brother. It's ugly, and it'll make you look like an idiot. Just imagine wandering into a mundane party and spouting Terminator impressions all night. Tacky.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:56 pm
Snaebjorn
Ok. There is good advice here. Do research on your persona and name. Not many people actually went out looking to become pirates in the day. Generally it was the last hope they had. At least that is the information I have says and I'm sure there were exceptions.

As for the Norse. Its correct that we are Norseman and to go a viking was a profession. It was a respected profession though and it did have some rules. Never raid from another norseman was one of the few and one of the best known.

Just make sure you do do research first.

For example, most Norse "raiders" were farmers. After that, traders. There were some northmen who raided and commited acts of violence constantly, but they were NOT the norm (there is a story of two men who went raiding constantly for more than two years to avoid their wives--they became legendary, proving how uncommon this was). They farmed (or crafted), and after the harvest they fled to relatively southern ports to trade and steal. Why? Partially because when a norse couple married all the husband's posessions became his wife's with the exception of his boat (so he probably liked to use it a lot), and partially because he could. Norse winters are not fun.  

Not-So-Sweet Transvestite

KW-NichtCrawler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:09 am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piracy
http://pirateshold.buccaneersoft.com/pirate_timeline.html
http://members.cox.net/dirtyrottenpirates/links.html

Some links that might help on the length of pyracy days and also might give you some ideas on names and researsch garbs and such.

Hope That Helps....  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:54 pm
squire to fools
The foremost problem with pirate personae is that until post-period (the baroque period for example) pirates looked pretty much like anybody else. Most of the traditionaly "piratey" items, like striped stockings, are very modern indeed (the socks for example are victorian, and worn by the royal navy rather than brigands). The closest you'll come truely in-period to piratey glory is as a sea dog--but don't expect people to know you for a pirate on-sight.

Of course, the SCA is less-than-strict in most cases on exact period, and only a few people are miffed when you stretch the limits. However, if you go pirate, do it right, or else you'll never be accepted by those who do. There are some REALLY good pirate groups out there, and is a very cool thing to hang out with them.

The first thing to do, though, is to abandon any imitations of Jack Sparrow you had cooking in your little head right now. Not tomorrow. Not next week. Right now... Unless you crave violence toward your person and expulsion from parties. I've seen it. Kin turns against kin, brother-in-arms against brother. It's ugly, and it'll make you look like an idiot. Just imagine wandering into a mundane party and spouting Terminator impressions all night. Tacky.

Meh, perhaps your kingdom is full of asses (no offense for reals) but Master Elexi knows an individual named Random who does a Jack Sparrow persona and most everyone loves him. At first some people are kind of miffed or thrown off by it but once they get to know Random they like him, he's a great person and fun to hang around. (He also does a great Jack Sparrow impression, has the walk and voice down and everything, not just the clothes)  

Dema

1,550 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

KW-NichtCrawler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:11 am
Dema
squire to fools

Meh, perhaps your kingdom is full of asses (no offense for reals) but Master Elexi knows an individual named Random who does a Jack Sparrow persona and most everyone loves him. At first some people are kind of miffed or thrown off by it but once they get to know Random they like him, he's a great person and fun to hang around. (He also does a great Jack Sparrow impression, has the walk and voice down and everything, not just the clothes)

Random aside, this is a common outfit for most pirates. plain pants, plain shirt, fold top boots, tricorn and sash. Take away the boots and tricorn you are in peasent/generic garb  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:48 pm
keeper_of_pain
Dema
squire to fools

Random aside, this is a common outfit for most pirates. plain pants, plain shirt, fold top boots, tricorn and sash. Take away the boots and tricorn you are in peasent/generic garb

True enough ^_^  

Dema

1,550 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Chibbi_Satan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:53 am
Dema

BTW not to be picky (acctually to be very picky I'm just trying to be polite LOL) but the term Viking is a verb, the acctual people were Norsemen and when they went to *coughs* "borrow" things it was refered to as going A Viking ^_^

Sorry my best friend has a Norse persona and he's forever correcting people on that and it's just rubbed off on me LOL ^_^

*LAUGHS* FOR THE LOVE OF GODS, THANK YOU DEMA! I was actually just about to post something about that when I read yours. *grins*
BTW all, I am that Norseman. I am IRL of Norwegian decent and an avid Berserker of the SCA for well over 13 years now. My name is Master Illecfar Bjornson, (meaning the “Son of the Bear” “who has gone to travel”) or Commander Elexi Stormcrow for those who can't pronounce it (as is my given name and earned name on the fields of battle).

I also wanted to make mention about Norse being pirates. In a way, I guess the Norse were pirates in a way, but they more resembled aggressive “land owners”...*snickers* After-all, it wasn't tradition to rob other ships on the sea's. They wanted land and the ability to spread their “wealth” as it where in the form of “family jewels”.  
SCA Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff