Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Wicca's Origins and the False Testimony of the Old Religion Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Witchwolf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:32 am
You might try a book called "Drawing down the moon." its a look at paganism in the late 70's to early 80's and how it came into the usa and how they delt with in the times of civel rights and also how much of the main branchs started up and from who.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:11 am
I had heard of Crowley being a major influence on Wicca when Gardner was first laying it out, and later Valiente convinced Gardner to take some out. I'll have to read up on that though, see what Hutton says on it.

I've now updated it somewhat, and I've added the bulk of Wicca's Origins, but there are still some gaps I have yet to full, as well as the sources for that section which I will do eventually (as well as other additions to the Old Religion article).

If anyone has any corrections, additions or extra sources I could check out, it'd be a great help biggrin (I wrote a lot of the Origins article from memory lol)

Miss Lune Soleil

Fluffy Bunny

22,650 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

godhi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:58 am
Witchwolf
You might try a book called "Drawing down the moon." its a look at paganism in the late 70's to early 80's and how it came into the usa and how they delt with in the times of civel rights and also how much of the main branchs started up and from who.

"Drawing Down the Moon" is an excellent resource work, and although a bit dated (it was last revised about 1991) it's one of the best discussions of the Pagan Revival in America during the late 20th century.
By the way, some scholars have noted that in certain sections of Gardner's "Book of Shadows" there are almost word-for-word quotes from some of the writings of Aleister Crowley, suggesting that Gardner might have copied or even plagiarized some of his work. Although Alex Saunders, the founder of Alexandrian Wicca attempted to purge the influences of Aleister Crowley from the religion during the 1960's, Crowley had a strong influence on Wicca during its early period and his influences can be found in both the writings of Gardner and later authors.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:53 am
godhi
By the way, some scholars have noted that in certain sections of Gardner's "Book of Shadows" there are almost word-for-word quotes from some of the writings of Aleister Crowley, suggesting that Gardner might have copied or even plagiarized some of his work. Although Alex Saunders, the founder of Alexandrian Wicca attempted to purge the influences of Aleister Crowley from the religion during the 1960's, Crowley had a strong influence on Wicca during its early period and his influences can be found in both the writings of Gardner and later authors.

Doreen Valiente writes in her book "Witchcraft for tomorrow" that Crowley and Gardner met to compare notes. Crowley apperantly claimed to be initiated into a coven too at young age, but was kicked out, because he could not stand the highprietess, and this sparked Gardners interest in the man.
And that Gardner indeed asked Crowley to write some parts, for although he was not big on the Crowley, he did feel that Crowley was a great poet. Want me to quote it? ( if yes, then you'll have to wait till tommorow. )  

Molly Mollusca

Dapper Seeker

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas