Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Great british books... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 2:04 pm
and_solo_said
You can hardly call it a kids book

I can and I do. His Dark Materials is a tale for children. Yes, it does have some intellectually advanced undertones, but it is, at its core, a story for kids (then again, that did not stop adults reading it, but it is classified as "children's literature").  
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:10 am
Vanilla Pod
Boring? Boring? You can't be serious.
to be fair, i read it in yr5.... but still... i cant be bothered at trying it again. the opening is like *yaaawn* well, it was, anyway... ill give it a shot... -fients at cheesiness of the phrase-  

x.Tag.Youre__Pregnant.]]

Tachikoma Fanclub

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:31 am
The best British author has to be Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes is pure genius, that and The Lost World. Failing that i would have to say Rohld DAhl (probably spelt that wrong)  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:52 am
Tachikoma Fanclub
The best British author has to be Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes is pure genius, that and The Lost World. Failing that i would have to say Rohld DAhl (probably spelt that wrong)

I absolutely loved 'The Lost World', still do in a nostalgic sort of way. Lord John Roxton rules supreme.

Did anyone here see the BBC television version?

Invictus_88
Captain

dreaming_mouse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:00 am
and_solo_said
ice_illusion
I like the Dark Materials. A lot.
I dont like some of his other books so much (Ruby in the Smoke ....). But they were detective books and I dont realy like that genre.

I liked the Ruby in The Smoke series, but the first few were not very well written, and I am not too big a fan of the detective genre. The last in the series (The Tin Princess) is one of my favourite books though. Well written, political, philosophical, and offensive biggrin

I read that series and the "His Dark Materials" series, I didn't like The Tiger in the Well, that book just pissed me off lol...maybe it was supposed to have that effect lol. rolleyes
I just looked at all the books in my room and only one of them is by someone from GB, Tom holt. I think some of his books are okay, The Portable Door is one of the best I think.  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff