Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Fluffy Question Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TatteredAngel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:15 am
I thought I'd add my two cents, since it's a bit different. I'm actually probably a terrible candidate for religion in general, and especially paganism. I'm terribly skeptical, not particularly sensitive to anything even bordering on mystical, and with pretty much utterly no familial or cultural heritage to anything particular (thanks, parents and culture wink ).

That said, I'm no atheist, and monotheism has never sat well with me. And for all that I'm not sensitive, that isn't to say I've never felt anything, and whatever limited brushes I've had are important enough for me to keep seeking. It could be that's all I will ever have and am meant to have. I may never be more specifically called. As discussed in numerous other places, in most cases, I likely have no right to be. And that's okay too.

I believe because of those few moments of feeling something beyond what's average, and the context in which those moments occurred. I don't think about it so much as what I get out of it, just as something that is.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:57 pm
Elitist Pretzel Eater
Why do you even want beliefs in the first place? What do they do for you?

I want a greater connection with the world in which I live. I want to gain understanding of that which exsists in the universe. I want to be connected to something grater then myself.

I anticipate the next question might be something along the lines of "Why don't you go to Christianity for that?', as some of your questions dirrected at Reagun had that genrel bent.

The answer to that question, if asked, would be that while I do agree with Reagun, that Christanity is a wonderful and beautiful religion, I have certain incapatabbilites with Christian concepts of morality and forgiveness.  

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:46 am
Inspiration.
When two halves of infinity reveal themsleves directly, it can be a life changing experience.
That formed the core... from there, I searched, I sought after documented knowledge to help express what had occurred... from there, it was a matter of study, inquerey, and further direct revelation.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:22 pm
Elitist Pretzel Eater
why do you believe whatever it is you believe and do whatever rituals you do?

I wouldn't call myself a pagan either. I'm certainly no christian. I was raised an atheist, and I still don't believe in any gods, but I'm not attracted to some of the harder core stuff in atheism.

For years, I didn't know what to call myself, because I wasn't exactly comfortable with atheism. I had leanings towards paganism, but I couldn't get fully into that either. When asked, I would call myself an atheist, because I didn't believe in gods but it didn't sit quite right with me. I was yearning for something more spiritual, though not religious.

Then I found pantheism on the web, and it fit me perfectly. (see my sig) I feel a deep connection to nature and the broader picture. I feel good when in awe of nature and the universe. I try to celebrate the quarter and cross-quarter days in at least some small way because they help me stay in tune with the seasons. I don't do rituals other than gardening and hiking.  

Wood Sorrel

Wood Sorrel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:26 pm
Elitist Pretzel Eater
Why do you even want beliefs in the first place? What do they do for you?

I don't want beliefs. I want truth. I will believe something only if there is proof for it and I will revise my beliefs when new information comes up. Ultimately, I want to get to the truth. It probably isn't possible to fully understand the universe, but I wouldn't want to believe something that isn't true.

My search helps me understand the order of the universe and my place in it. It helps me get perspective on my life, and makes me more grateful for what I have.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:29 pm
Elitist Pretzel Eater
Does it make you happy?

Pantheism makes me happy, yes. I love feeling a connection to the universe and I love that I've found something to call myself and a community of like-minded people. When it doesn't make me happy, it at least makes me grateful that I'm alive and fortunate to afford the life I have.  

Wood Sorrel

Pelta

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:54 am
Elitist Pretzel Eater
My question is, why do you believe whatever it is you believe and do whatever rituals you do?

Freedom.

I am free in my path because I know it is what I was meant for. It suits who I am. Oaths and Gods do not impinge on me because I will not enter into any contract that goes against my nature. I always attempt to stay true to myself and respect the entities I work with. And part of my respect for them is showing that I can think for myself. They do not govern my life - they guide it. Very rarely have I pissed them off in questioning their demands. If they are reasonable, I will follow them.

I believe what I believe because I don't think I really have a choice. You can't choose what you believe. It just happens.

I do what I do because it's part of who I am. And heck, it's bloody useful. whee  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:11 pm
Elitist Pretzel Eater
My question is, why do you believe whatever it is you believe and do whatever rituals you do?

I believe it because nothing else has connected to me like my religion. Not to say, of course, that i've tried every religion, but then again, you dont need to try everything to know when something is for you; sometimes you just feel it. I do rituals out of respect, mostly. It can be annoying, though, sometimes, because she gets angry when i forget or put things off. But then again, i can understand.

on the topic of christianity: as a whole, it's a beautifully simple religion. however, i personally believe it uses far too much negative reinforcement (if you do this, you are damned, abominable, etc) for it to be the "peaceful and loving" religion it claims. There IS peace and love in it, no doubt, but i think quite a bit of the religion works on fear and i dont agree with that. If you want to convert someone, might want to let them see how great it is before you tell them what happens if they mess up, ya know?  

in the flicker.

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:42 pm
i believe in my path because to me it makes sense... simple as that.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:55 am
WitchyBoy
And what aspects make sense.

Have you continued to evaluate your beliefs for internal consistancy?  

TeaDidikai

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:59 am
TeaDidikai
WitchyBoy

The only thing worse than infernal consistancy is internal dyslexia.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:00 pm
reagun ban
TeaDidikai
WitchyBoy

~ponders siggy~  

TeaDidikai

jaden kendam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:42 am
Elitist Pretzel Eater

Because talking to a dead person is better than talking to a wall. At least if the spirit talks back, i wont feel like I am totally insane.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:26 am
TeaDidikai
reagun ban
TeaDidikai
WitchyBoy

~ponders siggy~

High praise.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Drucillia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:04 am
To answer the original question of why believe what you do? I will first say what it is that I believe and some reason for these beliefs.

It is a sidenote that I consider myself a mix of Christian and Pagan...

1. I believe that there is one god (with multiple parts) my friends often refer to what I believe in as a schizophrenic (sp?) God. I will say Goddess or God, because I don't believe that my God has either gender/ or he/she is both. Just seems disrespectful to say "it."

2. I believe that spells are the same things as prayers. You only get out of them what you put into them. If I sit there praying for money...but I never get off my lazy butt and work for it...I am never going to *poof* find money. Same with spells for money and the like.

3. I believe that one can have conversations with their God/Goddess, they just don't answer the same way. Often I will be sitting there ranting at God about how I wish I understood something, or that I wish I could remember where I put something, and then what I am trying to think of comes into my head. I don't believe that a response from God comes in a voice from the sky.

4. I don't believe in human incarnations of God. That's just because.

5. I don't think that spells work in moments. I have a friend who is a major fluffybunny, as she said that she "healed" wounds from a 'suicide attempt' before we saw them, just by placing her hands on her wrists. Duh.

6. I believe in an afterlife. Don't really know what kind it is yet, but what kind of life would it be if you only lived for 1-100+ years? I mean, babies who die young...I'd like to think they have a chance to "live on" somewhere.

Why I believe this:

That's really like asking why I breathe. Do you remember way...way...back in second or third grade when your teacher first taught you about Columbus and how the world was round? They couldn't prove that to you...but you believed them.

That's like asking why I love. Do you remember the first time you fell in love? No one told you what it was going to feel like, but when you felt it...you knew it was love. That's how it is for me with God...I believe what I believe because it's what FEELS right.

Sorry that that's the best response I have to this question, but it was the best I could come up with....  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff