Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
'Malevolent' Gods Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:07 am
Starlock
As for the second part... any act can be morally "justified" in one way or another, regardless of what you're talking about. There is good and ill inherent in all actions.

Rape.
Child abuse.
Killing puppies.
Stealing from charity collectors for personal gain.
Thuggery.

Starlock
Any action is a change, and change neccessitates generation and destruction in some way or form. What one labels as "good" and "bad" depends on perspective. Question becomes, then, which perspective to use? In the end, perhaps the only one you can truly use is your own, eh?

Silly me.
I should have taken the rapists point of view into consideration.
Or the pederast.
What the ******** was I thinking.
I'm such a b*****d.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:24 am
reagun ban
Starlock
Any action is a change, and change neccessitates generation and destruction in some way or form. What one labels as "good" and "bad" depends on perspective. Question becomes, then, which perspective to use? In the end, perhaps the only one you can truly use is your own, eh?

Silly me.
I should have taken the rapists point of view into consideration.
Or the pederast.
What the ******** was I thinking.
I'm such a b*****d.

No, you're not a b*****d. It's interesting to consider the criminal's view point to understand WHY they act as they do. Note, I'm not making an assessment here on whether or not these actions are moral or immoral (as it should be damned common sense that they're considered immoral by the common human moral consensus and really shouldn't need mentioning); mostly making commentary on point of view and the subjective nature of moral attributions. There are some relatively universal moral paradigms that exist throughout all human cultures, so it can be well-argued that there are some aspects of morality that are not subjective... provided you're talking exclusively about human morality and not nonhuman applications thereof.  

Starlock

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:27 am
Starlock
No, you're not a b*****d. It's interesting to consider the criminal's view point to understand WHY they act as they do. Note, I'm not making an assessment here on whether or not these actions are moral or immoral (as it should be damned common sense that they're considered immoral by the common human moral consensus and really shouldn't need mentioning); mostly making commentary on point of view and the subjective nature of moral attributions.

You should be more careful with what you say then.
You, explicitly,
What one labels as "good" and "bad" depends on perspective.

This is wrong.
As it happens, there are Gods of each of these things.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:29 am
reagun ban
Starlock
No, you're not a b*****d. It's interesting to consider the criminal's view point to understand WHY they act as they do. Note, I'm not making an assessment here on whether or not these actions are moral or immoral (as it should be damned common sense that they're considered immoral by the common human moral consensus and really shouldn't need mentioning); mostly making commentary on point of view and the subjective nature of moral attributions.

You should be more careful with what you say then.

True, of course. Text communication can be troublesome... 'tis good to ask for clarification when things are unclear.

You, explicitly,
What one labels as "good" and "bad" depends on perspective.

This is wrong.
As it happens, there are Gods of each of these things.

I'm not sure if I understand what you're saying here... are you saying that because there are deities who are specifically ruling over "good" and "bad" domains that they exist and that's that (ie, there can absolutely be nothing good about the bad or bad about the good deity)?  

Starlock

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:50 am
Starlock
I'm not sure if I understand what you're saying here... are you saying that because there are deities who are specifically ruling over "good" and "bad" domains that they exist and that's that (ie, there can absolutely be nothing good about the bad or bad about the good deity)?

That would be the standard Celtic line.
There are evil gods.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:13 am
I belive Kali's necklace of skulls came from the demon she battled to save the world. Thats also why she's covered in blood. Every time this demon's blood hit the ground, 1000 more demons were born. She stopped that by licking up the blood.  

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500

Starlock

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:16 am
reagun ban
Starlock

That would be the standard Celtic line.
There are evil gods.

I see (likes the fact that Celtic pantheon has evil gods).... heheh. Then I suppose whether you view them as explicity evil depends on the human interpretation. If the system is meant to be interpreted in such a way that the deity is explicity evil, it should be taken that way by practitioners. I still wonder, though, if embodying evil neccessitates the deity's consequences being evil...

Evil Deity: "I shall smite all first born children!!"

The Fates: (chuckle in the shadows as the evil deity slays the firstborn child who was fated to be the next Hitler)  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:17 am
Dragon_Witch_Woman
I belive Kali's necklace of skulls came from the demon she battled to save the world. Thats also why she's covered in blood. Every time this demon's blood hit the ground, 1000 more demons were born. She stopped that by licking up the blood.

Nice... gotta love mythology. whee  

Starlock

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:22 am
Starlock
Dragon_Witch_Woman

Nice... gotta love mythology. whee
I enjoy researching Kali. She's a very intresting deity.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:39 am
I was thinking hubris is the one that Tea was thinking of (sorry, no computer where I was staying).

Basically, hubris is a wanton act of violence or pride against a God. When Archane compared herself to a God, she was committing hubris. When she insulted Athene even more, she was punished.  

maenad nuri
Captain

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:53 pm
Nuri
I was thinking hubris is the one that Tea was thinking of (sorry, no computer where I was staying).

Basically, hubris is a wanton act of violence or pride against a God. When Archane compared herself to a God, she was committing hubris. When she insulted Athene even more, she was punished.
I was trying to think of the overarching code that Hubris falls under.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:36 pm
I've heard the myth of Archane with two endings. Ending one, she boasted she was better than Athena, had the contest and won, so Athena turned her into a spider, then the second version, she boasted, had the contests and lost, so she hanged herself, and Athena felt sorry for her and turned her into a spider.  

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500

Molly Mollusca

Dapper Seeker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:13 pm
Dragon_Witch_Woman

The skulls are the wisdom/letters, the 51 letters of the sacred script. ( the wisdom is in the head)
The demon story says more about her red tongue sticking out then her necklace.
Interresting deity indeed. 3nodding

[Cite]
Scroll to the "populair forms of Kali"  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:46 pm
Elfin Brill
Dragon_Witch_Woman

The skulls are the wisdom/letters, the 51 letters of the sacred script. ( the wisdom is in the head)
The demon story says more about her red tongue sticking out then her necklace.
Interresting deity indeed. 3nodding

[Cite]
Scroll to the "populair forms of Kali"

Thanks. I remember she's normaly seen holding a severed head, a sword, a bowl, and I forget the whats in her last hand. The severed head is the main head of the demon she fought. I thought the skulls were his other heads. xd . I've seen the necklace as skulls or as heads.

*edit* her last hand his holding a trident.  

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500

midara the happy banshee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:21 pm
TeaDidikai
Nuri

I was trying to think of the overarching code that Hubris falls under.

Then it probably is eusebeia. Sound right?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff