Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Magical language. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:44 pm
Aesi
I haven't run into any source actually defining the true pronunciation of YHWH.
~whimpers~ V... no W.

Quote:
At least, my studies always give me to understand that it's unpronouncable.
It is now. If you had been a Priest in the Age of the Temple, you wouldn't have any problem.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:17 pm
There really Is no 'Magickal' language The gaelic Is a wonderful Ancient language, as is latin... as previously stated they would just add to psychodrama. the magical glyphs that I can think of are elder furthark? (sp gonk ) Which is Runes, in a sense.

THere is glossolia in christianity and various other religions (Glossolia= Speaking in tounges)  

Lord Sutekh

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:01 pm
Seth_God
There really Is no 'Magickal' language

Really? That's not what the Jews, the Irish, the CM's who speak Enochian- or any of a host of other traditions say.

Funny thing that- when you hold that your god gave you language, glyphs/runes, and voice- you usually end up with some concept of Magic + Language.

Quote:
The gaelic Is a wonderful Ancient language,
Which Gaelic would that be kiddo?
Quote:
the magical glyphs that I can think of are elder furthark? (sp gonk ) Which is Runes, in a sense.
Elder Futhark is one kind of runic system. There are a number of other Runic systems as well.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:35 am
TeaDidikai
Quote:
The gaelic Is a wonderful Ancient language,
Which Gaelic would that be kiddo?

.... you've taken away my favourite toy.... Well I'm gonna play with it anyway and I know where all the cool parts are so xp

Seth_God, calling a language Gaelic is approxiamiately like calling one "the Germanic Language" although less correct. If we want to be accurate, linguistically, the grouping is the "Goidelic languages" not the "Gaelic languages."

There are several spoken goidelic (note the lower case g) languages Manx, "Scots Gaelic" (inverted commas by way of emphasis that the term is Scots Gaelic, sue me, I'm a programmer.) and Irish/Gaeilge are all goidelic languages. All of the Q-Celtic languages are goidelic in natured

If you were referring to Irish as "Gaelic" then I offer you this advice for free: Never do it again, don't even call it Irish Gaelic. It is incredibly offensive and ignorant to anyone who speaks the language and has even the slightest political awareness. Its name in English is "Irish" and in Irish (nó as Gaeilge mas fearr leat/libh) is "Gaeilge". Now, I speak very-nearly fluent Gaeilge Conamara (or Connemara Irish) and it would be fluent if I had the people to speak with on a regular basis. I speak a very poor Gaeilge Dún na nGall (or Donegal Irish), no Gaeilge Chiarraí (Kerry Irish) and I point blank refuse to speak an Caighdeán Oifigiúil (the "official written standard" *hawk spit curse*).  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:04 am
See, Reagun, that's also entirely news to me as well. I always figured there were different dialects covered under the term (much as any language), but not that it is THAT different.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:36 am
I was aware they were different languages. I just never knew what they were all called.

(Nana tried to teach me a couple Irish Phrases when I was little... and I didn't understand why my Scotish Grandfather didn't understand them... oh for the mistakes of my youth.)  

TeaDidikai

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:50 am
reagun ban
Irish/Gaeilge...goidelic
for future reference, how does one pernounce those words? i have an idea, but i'm sure it would be more accurate if they were german words...  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:12 pm
TeaDidikai
Aesi
I haven't run into any source actually defining the true pronunciation of YHWH.
~whimpers~ V... no W.
Haven't found the gematria for it and it's used both ways. However:

Pantheon.org 'Jehova'

The name by which God revealed himself to the ancient Hebrews (Ex. 6:2, 3). This name was spelled "hwhy" (the Hebrew equivalent of "YHWH") and is known as the Tetragrammaton (meaning "four letters"). Since it was considered too sacred to pronounce, the Jews would substitute the Sacred Name (Ha-Shem) with the word "Adonai."
To indicate this substitution in the Masoretic Text, the Masoretes added the vowel points from the word "Adonai" to the Sacred Name. Early Christian translators mistakenly combined the vowels of Adonai with the consonants of YHWH, producing the word "YaHoWaH." When the Scriptures were translated into German during the Reformation (16th century), the word was transliterated into the German way of pronouncing it: the "Y" as the English "J", and the "W" as the English "V" -- or "Jahovah." In the early 17th century, the Scriptures were translated into English and the word was again transliterated, as "Jehovah."

Quote:
It is now. If you had been a Priest in the Age of the Temple, you wouldn't have any problem.
o0; I've seriously overlooked this area in my self-assigned curriculum. The shortcomings of individual study. sweatdrop When did it become pronouncable? What caused the pronunciation to be known?  

Aesi

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:36 pm
Aesi
o0; I've seriously overlooked this area in my self-assigned curriculum. The shortcomings of individual study. sweatdrop When did it become pronouncable? What caused the pronunciation to be known?

Since when is the letter Vav a W?

No seriously.

Pantheon.org =/= Authority.

Anyway- in the age of The Temple, the name was kept by the Priests. Further, Torah was written without vowels in the common text because they didn't need them. People knew how to pronounce the words.

They added the vowels in later as the population grew and different dialects sprang up.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:30 pm
TeaDidikai

No seriously.

-moo- Fair 'nuff. Their articles aren't the peak of scholarship. Yes, I'm lazy. After some searching, I think I found out why YHVH is more correct. Though, what really strikes me as curious is that it's hosted by University of Utah. Time to devote more study to the ACT, I think.  

Aesi

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:10 pm
Aesi
TeaDidikai

No seriously.

-moo- Fair 'nuff. Their articles aren't the peak of scholarship. Yes, I'm lazy. After some searching, I think I found out why YHVH is more correct. Though, what really strikes me as curious is that it's hosted by University of Utah. Time to devote more study to the ACT, I think.
Good on ya.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces