Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

r a i n- C R U S H E D

Magnetic Werewolf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:51 am
Lady(Rayne)
Not at all. Thing is, none of us could possibly be the originals. The originals are adults now. After all, The Goth subculture started in the 70s, as Lucifer_The_Death_Angel's thread so rightly says.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:43 pm
Well, almost anyone would say that, being 'Goth' is perspective based, or belief based.

The only possible definition/requirement I could give that no one could dispute would be 'to be goth, is being yourself'.

More common ones that are almost universal are:

Being open minded--usually nice.
Being creative--may be art, liturature, physical activities such as dancing or acting.
And usually, being a little different.

I can say I am too young to be a 'Goth' in the sense of when the 'scene' came out (depatable about time, but lets say late 70's, but, I say it became acceptably mainstream by the 90's.

I still get caught off guard when people call me 'Goth', I don't usually actually think of myself as anything in particular, mostly cause I'm a little of everything...everything I like.

I do however have a funny amount of sub-culture cliche's and stereotype things in my life, but, their fairly minute compared to everything in it that is not.

(Edit: I'm definatly to young to be of the f***ing Germanic tribe(s), I hate when people always bring up historical related things that, although relavant, are useless to the conversation concerning modern 'Goth' topics.)  

Dorian Requiem

Choboxer

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:50 pm
Shanna66
Lady(Rayne)
I'd like to say a few things..

One. True goths don't wear all black and i do hope you know this, Unknown...

Two. Of course there are true goths left, if their weren't, who would the posers pretend to be?

Three. Like Shanna said. True goths aren't badasses, it's punks that are badass.

merci

uh, keep of the topic of which you know nothing of.

Most punks resent being called a badass. They arnt out for the image, Punks are out to live and have fun, rules sometimes get in the way

as for real goths. THats a blanket expression for anybody you enjoy haning out with that dresses like you.

To me, this post reads like "im lonely, let me b***h about how people arnt as cool as i want them to be"  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:30 pm
You, my dear, are the poser.
Goths are NOT what you have in your mind.
We don't only wear black or stay up only at night.
We don't have to be depressed out of our minds either.
This make me so mad.
You ARE the steriotypical, poser goth!
Think before you speak.
Also, at least pass one proper grammar class.
It's hard to read what you write.

Mz.Wiggles

dark and demented

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:55 pm
Mz.Wiggles
This make me so mad.
Think before you speak.

Wiggles how I worship you for that post xD
I agree with everything you just said...

But anyways...

Dreamer Spirit has it correct and as everyone is saying goths nowdays are NOT Germanic tribes ransacking Rome but infact Artists.
One of the many things that all of us here in 'Got Goth' Guild have in common is that most of us are artists. In some way, shape or form we have brought the word goth to meaning by expressing ourselves in ways many people aren't capible of. Sure, we tend to look at the 'darker' sid of things but who in this world can claim they haven't done that once or twice?

Who are you to claim you know exactly what an 'orginial goth' is? It's quite impossible for any of us to be the originals but we follow in step of the tradition put out by those before us. All these stereo-typical things you are refering to reveal you to be the true 'poser'. Why you may ask? It's because it's always posers who bring up in the middle of a guild about how much they hate other posers. It's always the posers accusing everyone else they know of BEING posers, and it's also always the posers who know nothing about what they posing as xP...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:38 pm
With the way that the culture has been going, there are more and more people who call themselves Goth because they wear all black and are depressed and angry at all the other people. That isn't how it really works. And I'm not a "real" goth, I'm too young, but I do know that I'm dark, I have always been dark. It's the way that my personality turns, and there is no one that can tell me that I will listen to that I should change who I am.

I'm an artist, a writer. And most of it's dark, and I have absolutely no problem with that, it's the ignorant SOB's that have problems with it. But they don't have to read my writing, they do it because they think it's good.

You seem to come across as a poser, and I'm rarely up all night, I go to school in the morning, and I can't afford to fail because I fell asleep in class.  

Krys_Night

Mz.Wiggles

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:39 pm
dark and demented
Mz.Wiggles
This make me so mad.
Think before you speak.

Wiggles how I worship you for that post xD
I agree with everything you just said...

But anyways...

Dreamer Spirit has it correct and as everyone is saying goths nowdays are NOT Germanic tribes ransacking Rome but infact Artists.
One of the many things that all of us here in 'Got Goth' Guild have in common is that most of us are artists. In some way, shape or form we have brought the word goth to meaning by expressing ourselves in ways many people aren't capible of. Sure, we tend to look at the 'darker' sid of things but who in this world can claim they haven't done that once or twice?

Who are you to claim you know exactly what an 'orginial goth' is? It's quite impossible for any of us to be the originals but we follow in step of the tradition put out by those before us. All these stereo-typical things you are refering to reveal you to be the true 'poser'. Why you may ask? It's because it's always posers who bring up in the middle of a guild about how much they hate other posers. It's always the posers accusing everyone else they know of BEING posers, and it's also always the posers who know nothing about what they posing as xP...
Thank you!
Oh, how I love smart people.
I'd like to bring it to everyones attention also, I have school and looking at her grammar, so does she.
I can't afford failing by staying up all night and being as she says a "real goth."
If that's your case then I know why you write that way.
rolleyes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:39 pm
DreamerSpirit

You've actually got it wrong there....

The original goths were Germanic tribes who ransacked Rome.

Remember kids, pillage, THEN burn!

But, on a more serious note, I agree with you on the original goths of this era being artists. I've also heard some stuff about them commonly following the ideals of the romanticism movement of the 1800's. which really wouldn't suprise me. I myself am quite into the art, literature, and culture of the romanticism movement.

*zips in for history lesson* the Visigoths didn't actually sack Rome, they politely held a demonstration and left after a few days because the Emperor wouldn't listen to them, they'd turned Christian by that time. Though, before they 'saw the light' they still weren't even that voilent unless provoked, THEN they'd cut your head off and stick it to a pole. Though, for the most part they were peace loving people that didn't like authority (they killed the dude stupid enough to try to lead them).......pretty like a lot of goths I now know actually...

But I digress, yes, most of the original goths were artists, they were also kids that liked music and dressed in (mostly) black.

I know real true original 70's goths, they're mostly middle class people with kids and mortgages now, hell I work with two of them in a library, another was my history teacher. biggrin  

Isobel Bellamy

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:29 pm
Nyed
Shanna66
Lady(Rayne)
I'd like to say a few things..

One. True goths don't wear all black and i do hope you know this, Unknown...

Two. Of course there are true goths left, if their weren't, who would the posers pretend to be?

Three. Like Shanna said. True goths aren't badasses, it's punks that are badass.

merci

uh, keep of the topic of which you know nothing of.

Most punks resent being called a badass. They arnt out for the image, Punks are out to live and have fun, rules sometimes get in the way

as for real goths. THats a blanket expression for anybody you enjoy haning out with that dresses like you.

To me, this post reads like "im lonely, let me b***h about how people arnt as cool as i want them to be"

sorry, but i didnt say all punks were badasses, just all the ones ive met liked to think they were. sorry about leaving an open sentance  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:41 pm
Mz.Wiggles
This make me so mad.
Think before you speak.

I couldn't say it any better then you. Goth's just don't come out in the night and not being seen in te daylight. Where do people get this crap from, I swear.  

GreedsLittleEdo

ronton-ritsuzen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:26 pm
i guess you couldn't say i was a "real" goth.....

i wasn't around for the greatness of the origional '80s goth rock bands and what have you,

but i do consider myself a prodigy of the true ones,
i look up to the origionals

:[nothing's better than the origional.]  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:50 am
i explor the darker side of life, but darkness is nothing without the other side of a coin (and vise versa), and thus all things are about balance. dose that fit me into your catagory of goth? personally i don't think about it...  

Hel Daughter of Loki

~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces