Welcome to Gaia! ::

Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People

Back to Guilds

Reply Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People
"All Asians look alike!" Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mono_chroma

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:07 am
Took the test. Got 16 right. 4 wrong. I can tell apart Asians well, I guess. biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:11 am
I agree, there is a difference. BUT, me...I am not learned enough to know it.
I am not Asian, but that's still no excuse for my measley 6. I don't really have enough know how to tell, unless I hear some one speak, then it's pretty easy
cool

My question is, is it rude to ask? I mean, if you are talking and wanting to be friends. I KNOW it would be rude to just walk up to some one and say, "What Asian culture are you?"
I was just curious if anyone gets offended when they are asked by classmates or co-workers and such question  

anrinadia

S.F.M. GrandCrusader

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:48 am
Someone said that Chinese and Vietnamese look alike.....that really hurt my friends and me. sweatdrop crying

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:55 am
me scored 14  

`Renie

`Renie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:56 am
well, alot of europians can look alike, too.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:58 am
I got a 9 XD  

Michi Mizu

Blu321

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:06 am
i scored a 7... i suk crying  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:59 pm
anrinadia
I am not Asian, but that's still no excuse for my measley 6. I don't really have enough know how to tell, unless I hear some one speak, then it's pretty easy
cool

My question is, is it rude to ask? I mean, if you are talking and wanting to be friends. I KNOW it would be rude to just walk up to some one and say, "What Asian culture are you?"
I was just curious if anyone gets offended when they are asked by classmates or co-workers and such question

When I first moved here to the States, I met this Asian girl in my art class, and we became friends. It wasn't until this year that I asked her what type of Asian she was.

I didn't want to ask her eariler because I thought it would be rude. I was always figuring out what her nationality was last year, because she had a name I never heard of before: "Dwamanee" or something like that. But she rather be called Paeng. She told me she was from Thailand.

Jelai

mono_chroma

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:49 pm
RenieLiu

Yeah, my teacher told me French and Germans look alike because the French were origionally German. I'm German, but I look asian in dark areas, and white when I'm in bright lights. It's kinda freaky.

And, none of my friends were offended when I asked. And I wasn't offended when they asked. But, we had known each other for a few months. Someone once asked me in the mall, "What flavour of Asian are you?" I laughed at him, alot. I wasn't offended... but he was! = rofl  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:17 pm
RenieLiu

Hmm, you're right. A lot of Europeans do look alike, and I can't tell what their nationality is sometimes.

But doesn't that come across every race? We can't tell what their nationality is unless they say it.

But then the ones I tend to hear most is that "Ya'll Asians look the same!" line instead of saying that all Caucasians look the same or all Africans look the same or whatever. confused

Jelai

Moon_Child08

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:02 pm
I got a 5 gonk
I blame my mom.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:07 pm
I am starting to be able to tell them apart. I can pick out the popular ones, like Nobuo Uematsu, Koda Kumi, and Yamato from Orange range (it's easy b/c he looks like ET kinda)  

tenmatentei

Chiaki88

Timid Lunatic

15,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:15 pm
i got a 7 ... crying  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:14 am
Jelai
You've probably heard that phrase before.
Sometimes people can't figure an Asian's nationality correctly.

But even Asians can't tell apart other Asians (like me xO).
I took this test on alllooksame.com and I scored a 7 on it.

Do you sometimes have a hard time trying figure out Asians from....Asians? o.O
]
I can tell. I just hate it when americans look at us, pull their eyes slanted, and chant
*Look! I'm chinese!*
THERE IS OTHER AZN RACES U NO!!! Naturally, I pull my eyes big, and chant back
*Look! I'm a fat American!" Serves them right.  

[Joan De Arc]

anrinadia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:32 pm
Jelai
anrinadia
cool

When I first moved here to the States, I met this Asian girl in my art class, and we became friends. It wasn't until this year that I asked her what type of Asian she was.

I didn't want to ask her eariler because I thought it would be rude. I was always figuring out what her nationality was last year, because she had a name I never heard of before: "Dwamanee" or something like that. But she rather be called Paeng. She told me she was from Thailand.

Interesting! I probably wouldn't ask some one I didn't know, but you never know. There could tons of situations where I might have to(well, a couple, anyways, I just don't want to say never, EVERY time I say never, it HAPPENS).
I just don't want to step on toes. I guess the closest comparison for Americans is states(Missouri, Texas, New York, ect.). You can mostly tell folks states by their accents(no kidding, it's TRUE I tell you! Just listen to some one from Texas, in comparison to some one from New Jersey 3nodding ). In fact, some folks are VERY proud of their states, so much so there are border fighters(like Oklahoma and Texas, LOTSA bad vibes...it's all in humor, but they can get pretty crass).
Perhaps that's why we come across so rude? Since we don't really have anything but clothing and accents to tell the difference between ourselves, we don't really think it's important/necesary to tell the different between other types of cultures overseas? But, that doesn't work, because each state has it's own subculture, different foods, different mannerisms. Each state IS different...hmmm... I shall have to ponder this more. There is a bigger difference than I thought exclaim
I am not defending everyone. Some folks are just idiots.
I have a friend who was born in Afganistan(sp?), but his family had to flee to Sweden when he was around four years old.
He is a Swedish citizen. He was in the Swedish military.
He IS Swedish.
But, well, he came to college here in America, and then the war broke out.
It was VERY hard for him to get his point that he was Swedish across.
He doesn't LOOK Swedish stare
Just something to chew on. wink  
Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas