Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.
Legalising drugs? ~A heated debate from MSN~ Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should ALL drugs be legalised?
Yes, for I see the logic behind this insane suggestion
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
No, because I truly think that you have become a madman
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
Possibly, dependant on whether yoghurt is involved...
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 10

Vanilla Pod

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 12:57 pm
Invictus_88
...because the NHS isn't getting beaten-up enough by obesity, cancer, MRSA and cancer already?

I'm sorry; what's that got to do with it?  
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 2:25 pm
Vanilla Pod
Invictus_88
...because the NHS isn't getting beaten-up enough by obesity, cancer, MRSA and cancer already?

Being able to buy Class A drugs just as easily as tobacco? Might that negatively effect the NHS?  

Invictus_88
Captain

Vanilla Pod

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 2:47 pm
Invictus_88
Vanilla Pod

Invictus_88

Being able to buy Class A drugs just as easily as tobacco? Might that negatively effect the NHS?

Well. It's not an impossibility, sure. But considering that it's unlikely that there will be a significant rise in users and considering that the substances themselves will be safer, it might not be as significant as one would imagine. The main way, I would think, would be people who wouldn't have seeked help before because they were doing something illegal. Saving a few people's lives? Worth it. And there's the money to cover it, at least.  
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:30 pm
Vanilla Pod
Invictus_88
Vanilla Pod

Invictus_88

Well. It's not an impossibility, sure. But considering that it's unlikely that there will be a significant rise in users and considering that the substances themselves will be safer, it might not be as significant as one would imagine. The main way, I would think, would be people who wouldn't have seeked help before because they were doing something illegal. Saving a few people's lives? Worth it. And there's the money to cover it, at least.

There are clear warnings on cigarette packets, and people still end up smoking. If all drugs are legalised this may happen as well. It's not like we're in the dark about smoking or drugs yet people still end up doing these things. Although i do agree with your point on people not admitting drug problems coming forward if they were legalised but the government doesn't want to take the kind of chance that it could increase the amount of drugs users.  

DragonRich

Lizbeth_r9

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 4:45 am
what drugs?

caffine? Alchohol? Nicotine? Cannabis? Ecstacy?

Canabis is only a gateway drug because the only place you can get it from is the same chap that can get you pils etc...

More people die each year from asparin than from ecstacy (and then that is usually do to unregulated bad quality)...

I agree that if alot of drugs were legalised, they would have quality controls, generate masses of tax, make it safer for people to pick up, stabalise prices, un-glamorise it (making it less appealing) and make drug dealers get a real job.

But it depends on the drug... you have to think case by case.  
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:35 pm
Drugs are not the most unavailable things in the world. If people want to use them, there's not a hell of a lot stopping them. There is not much evidence that by legalising drugs, there will be a significant amount more users - on the contrary, when cannabis was legalised in Holland, they found there was not an increase in users at all. People don't do things because it's legal. Some might even do them because they're illegal. True, some people might be persuaded by availability - might as well because it's there - but it's here ANYWAY.  

Vanilla Pod

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 3:37 pm
I think it should be made so its more possible to get do medical research on them. (Cannabis for MS)
And some people do take them for medical reasons. (Canabis for MS)

And if you want to get high legally iron-bru is one of the best ways. Sugar, caffine and huge amounts of E-numbers. (They must have something different that isnt used in other fizzy drinks.)

Sorry about making sense/sentance structure. Im a little tired.  
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:26 pm
ice_illusion
(They must have something different that isnt used in other fizzy drinks.)

It's the iron girders. Irn-Bru is teh king of drinks.  

Zoutout

Cleocatra

IRL Trash

34,625 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:57 pm
Zoutout
ice_illusion
(They must have something different that isnt used in other fizzy drinks.)

It's the iron girders. Irn-Bru is teh king of drinks.

I already told you. I can get high on water. Now let me bust my blood cells in peace. xd  
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 3:28 am
How exactly would legalisation stop drug trafficing?  

Invictus_88
Captain

and_solo_said

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 3:31 am
Invictus_88

It would stop it being a crime, so the police would not have to care whether it continued or not stare  
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 3:31 am
Invictus_88

Well, not stop, but dramatically reduce. I mean they would be easily available in shops so the demand for seedy dealers would be less. Like cigarettes. Not that I would know, of course... rolleyes  

Nebelstern
Crew

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 3:36 am
and_solo_said
Invictus_88

It would stop it being a crime, so the police would not have to care whether it continued or not stare

Looks like Simon's point beat yours.  
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 3:38 am
Invictus_88
and_solo_said
Invictus_88

Actually, it would not get rid of dealers. Every schoolyard in the country is packed full of cigarette dealers, and nearly everyone tries to smuggle more cigs than they're allowed  

and_solo_said

Nebelstern
Crew

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 3:39 am
and_solo_said
Invictus_88
and_solo_said
Invictus_88

Actually, it would not get rid of dealers. Every schoolyard in the country is packed full of cigarette dealers, and nearly everyone tries to smuggle more cigs than they're allowed

But not in the same fashion as hardcore drugs though. Ah well. I still pwn.  
The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games