Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Battle of the browsers. Muhahaha. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Browser?
Internet explorer
44%
 44%  [ 11 ]
Mozilla Firefox
40%
 40%  [ 10 ]
Opera
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Safari
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
MSN Browser
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
On toast, please.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other (Specify, kthx.)
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 25

Days of Empire

Mega Genius

7,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:23 pm
Opera, anyday.

I do quite like Firefox, it's quite a nice little browser. Efficient. But Opera is quite simply the best I've ever used. It is a little heavier on system resources than Firefox, but for my money it's worth it.

Ultimately, all the browsers are pretty good, at least to the point of being useable.

Except IE. Which is not so much a browser as a series of loosely connected security holes, though you never see them in action, as you can't see past the popups, and if you do, it'll probably crash.

I mean come on, it doesn't even have tabbed browsing! Or Mouse-gestures! Or an integrated mail-client! You can only have one homepage!  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:27 pm
Erix Griffon
Opera, anyday.

I do quite like Firefox, it's quite a nice little browser. Efficient. But Opera is quite simply the best I've ever used. It is a little heavier on system resources than Firefox, but for my money it's worth it.

Ultimately, all the browsers are pretty good, at least to the point of being useable.

Except IE. Which is not so much a browser as a series of loosely connected security holes, though you never see them in action, as you can't see past the popups, and if you do, it'll probably crash.

I mean come on, it doesn't even have tabbed browsing! Or Mouse-gestures! Or an integrated mail-client! You can only have one homepage!

*is seriously beginning to consider changing browsers*  

Arivel

Days of Empire

Mega Genius

7,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:45 pm
I just opened up my copy of Firefox to make sure I do remember what I'm supposed to be talking about - tabbed browsing is always good (Opera has that) but it's still lacking mouse-gestures, god's gift to the lazy.

In Opera, if I click the right mouse button and flick the mouse:
Left - I go back
Right - I go forwards
Up - I stop loading
Down - I open a new tab
Up then down in one go - I refresh

A lot of the other features I couldn't say for sure whether Firefox has, but I can't see them yet. But it doesn't show you the speed a page is loading at, and only gives you a rough approximation of how far done it is. And I'm sure it actually loads pages slower than Opera...

It has just as many "Warning - you have just opened a web-page! Are you sure you want to continue?" messages as IE does.

The skin is fairly pretty, but a skin is a skin. I know for a fact there are truckloads of Firefox-style skins for Opera.

It doesn't have an inbuilt advert like Opera does if you haven't sent them money, but since Opera started giving you the option of Google text ads instead, that's not that intrusive. And I'm sure I could crack it, if I could be bothered.

I can't drag important links onto the toolbar so I can go back to them quickly later.

And it doesn't seem to have the auto-recovery function either. If Opera were to crash, or the computer were to lock, or even if you just closed Opera by accident, you can tell it to 'Continute from Last Session', and it brings up all your pages again.

Looks like it does have a mail client of some kind, though I'm just skimming through it here.

Can't see a way to save sessions either - when I open Opera it automatically loads about 6 tabs - 4 forums and two inboxes.

There's no auto-refresh function - granted it's forbidden on Gaia on pain of being banned really hard, but it's very useful elsewhere.

Edit - just realised I've been using v7.54, when v8 has just been released. *downloads*

Edit 2 - Go and get Opera 8. Now. It's even better than 7.54. Much faster and lighter. It's just destroyed Firefox's one advantage.

Edit 3 - If you do download it, you may think it doesn't block popups, and takes up ludicrous amounts of screen space. I've had Opera 8 installed for about 2 minutes, and I've got all unrequested popups blocked, and trimmed it down to look like this: http://tinypic.com/4r6dyh  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:05 am
I have mouse gestures with FireFox.

Yay@extensions.

But yeah, Invi, Arivel, MAKE THE SWITCH! biggrin DD

And I can't help but feel the 'weird topics' thing is my fault for bitching about the lack of variety.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, we're also meant to learn how to summon demons in this thread.
Maybe it's an extension. O: xd  

Gaulia

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:15 am
My PC was made sometime between the Middle Ages and the reign of Elizabeth the First, will it be able to cope?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:19 am
Invictus_88
My PC was made sometime between the Middle Ages and the reign of Elizabeth the First, will it be able to cope?

Probably. I risk no further comment. It IS only a web browser... sweatdrop  

Nebelstern
Crew

mattyp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:43 am
Firefox, however I have been hearing good things about the latest verion of IE.

But it took them so long to improve it and they only did because firefox is better, so I wont go back while firefox was as well as it does  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:30 am
Netscape 7.2 is so much faster than firefox and has a better pop-up blocker as well as the ability to instantly clear browser history if necesary.  

Wiggster

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:05 pm
Erix Griffon
I just opened up my copy of Firefox to make sure I do remember what I'm supposed to be talking about - tabbed browsing is always good (Opera has that) but it's still lacking mouse-gestures, god's gift to the lazy.

In Opera, if I click the right mouse button and flick the mouse:
Left - I go back
Right - I go forwards
Up - I stop loading
Down - I open a new tab
Up then down in one go - I refresh

A lot of the other features I couldn't say for sure whether Firefox has, but I can't see them yet. But it doesn't show you the speed a page is loading at, and only gives you a rough approximation of how far done it is. And I'm sure it actually loads pages slower than Opera...

It has just as many "Warning - you have just opened a web-page! Are you sure you want to continue?" messages as IE does.

The skin is fairly pretty, but a skin is a skin. I know for a fact there are truckloads of Firefox-style skins for Opera.

It doesn't have an inbuilt advert like Opera does if you haven't sent them money, but since Opera started giving you the option of Google text ads instead, that's not that intrusive. And I'm sure I could crack it, if I could be bothered.

I can't drag important links onto the toolbar so I can go back to them quickly later.

And it doesn't seem to have the auto-recovery function either. If Opera were to crash, or the computer were to lock, or even if you just closed Opera by accident, you can tell it to 'Continute from Last Session', and it brings up all your pages again.

Looks like it does have a mail client of some kind, though I'm just skimming through it here.

Can't see a way to save sessions either - when I open Opera it automatically loads about 6 tabs - 4 forums and two inboxes.

There's no auto-refresh function - granted it's forbidden on Gaia on pain of being banned really hard, but it's very useful elsewhere.

Edit - just realised I've been using v7.54, when v8 has just been released. *downloads*

Edit 2 - Go and get Opera 8. Now. It's even better than 7.54. Much faster and lighter. It's just destroyed Firefox's one advantage.

Edit 3 - If you do download it, you may think it doesn't block popups, and takes up ludicrous amounts of screen space. I've had Opera 8 installed for about 2 minutes, and I've got all unrequested popups blocked, and trimmed it down to look like this: http://tinypic.com/4r6dyh

Erix, why haven't you managed to become God yet?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:25 pm
xd I'm working on it!

I just did a little test. The Opera website provides a test-page, which is basically lots of text, and a box telling you how long it took that page to load. I've never viewed it before, so it's not cached.

I loaded it with Opera, IE and Firefox.

Opera: 90ms
IE: 8062ms
Firefox: 6539ms

That's on a 2mb internet connection.

Try it out yourself: http://nontroppo.org/test/Op7/loadtime.html  

Days of Empire

Mega Genius

7,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Zoutout

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:39 pm

Firefox takes a while to load up on my old system at home, but it's worth it.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:46 am
i dnt have firefox, but i was round a mates of mine and saw he had it, i must agree that it is the best ive seen, im stuck with internet explorer i think crying  

Dragoon Warrior Hawazit

Days of Empire

Mega Genius

7,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:03 am
Why are you stuck with it? Why not go to http://www.mozilla.org/ or http://www.opera.com ?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:40 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

And so, Firefox rolls over the 50 million download mark. As the e-mail I received did tell me.  

Nebelstern
Crew

Gaulia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:39 pm
That's because firefox blatantly pwns.  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items