Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Fantasy Books Guild
World Myths, Greek and Otherwise Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What the heck are the Orphic Mysteries?
  Sounds you make that no one can identify. Like urhukk-uk.
  Did they involve a singing head? Please say they didn't!
  Pythagoras will hear of this!
  I'm still sworn to secrecy on that topic.
  Burn, witch, burn!
  What does this have to do with ANYTHING? Give me some gold!
  Euridyce proposition at this point. Ha!
View Results

Blank of Tantalus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:03 am
I've always loved the tale of Hades and Persephone. There are many other stories that are more interesting, but for some reason I like it best. Perhaps its because I've known the story for so long that it grew on me.

Another one of my favorites is how the peacock got the 'eyes' on his tail. It includes Zeus's womanizing, turning a girl named Io into a cow, and Hera having her 100-eyed guard watch over the cow. So basically, Hera's guard dies and as a tribute to him, she put all his eyes on her favorite bird, the peacock.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:27 am
Harbone
Lady Greenwitch

By the way, just a little bit of Latin knowledge, 'manliness' is a feminine form.

Really? Ha!

By the way, speaking of feminine forms, does anybody know if Rhiannon, the Welsh whatever goddess, had red hair? I can't seem to confirm or deny it, but I've known a lot of young ladies named Rhiannon who were born with red hair.

...What does red hair have to do with it?  

Pwale

900 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100

Ashtaye

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:05 pm
I've been a fan of Greek mythology in particular since 6th grade, but I'm also interested in Celtic myths, though I don't know much. ^_^;;  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:16 pm
Lady Greenwitch
Harbone
Lady Greenwitch

By the way, just a little bit of Latin knowledge, 'manliness' is a feminine form.

Really? Ha!

By the way, speaking of feminine forms, does anybody know if Rhiannon, the Welsh whatever goddess, had red hair? I can't seem to confirm or deny it, but I've known a lot of young ladies named Rhiannon who were born with red hair.

...What does red hair have to do with it?

I thought there might be some connection. Did she have red hair? If she did, then it would make sense for parents to name their red-haired girls Rhiannon. If not, it's just weird.  

Harbone

elmon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:54 am
I'm a big fan of myths, especially Greek. I mostly like all kinds of myths, including the Persian ones. I once read a book that told some Persian myths in some of the story-telling scenes (the main character learned how to be a storyteller). I really enjoyed those myths. The only myth I disaprove of is Christianity.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:42 pm
elmon
I'm a big fan of myths, especially Greek. I mostly like all kinds of myths, including the Persian ones. I once read a book that told some Persian myths in some of the story-telling scenes (the main character learned how to be a storyteller). I really enjoyed those myths. The only myth I disaprove of is Christianity.

And why, exactly, do you disapprove of the tales of Christianity only?  

NightIntent
Captain

elmon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:52 am
NightIntent
elmon

And why, exactly, do you disapprove of the tales of Christianity only?

Because of the way it is used this way, namely as a truth and not as a myth. The Greeks realised that their myths were actually interpretations, while Christians believe their myths to be truth. This "truth" they use to do things that are, in my opinion, wrong, like refusing rights to gay people.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:27 pm
Well, people take stuff in the Talmud to be true. And the Old Testament of the Bible is mostly from the Talmud. Doesn't that mean you disapprove of that book, too? Then there are the stories about the prophet Muhammad. Those are taken as truth, too. Most religious books like the Bible, Talmud, and the Qur'an are similar in that respect. So why is it only the Bible you claim to dislike?

The Bible isn't alone in the followers of that religion having that type of faith in the book their religion is based on. Please don't discriminate against it just because Christianity seems to be discussed more than the others.  

NightIntent
Captain

elmon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:09 am
It's not only that. Christianity is the only religion in (European) history that has forced itself upon the world. Many religions are part of a country or area's culture, but Christianity has spread by MAKING people belief their myths, rather than solely raising children in that tradition.
Another thing about Christianity is that it's the only religion using science to prove itself, an impossible task if you ask me. I greatly oppose the Intelligent Design movement, even more than Scientology, because of the attention it draws to its nonsense. Separation between Church and State, anyone ever heard of that?!  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:36 pm
The Muslims invaed other countries to spread their religion. And there was a genocide in Turkey, killing off the Armenian Christians (or whatever they were called, it's been two years), before the Holocaust. That's where Hitler got his idea for the Holocaust, in fact. That doesn't seem like they were simply raising their children to be like that, to me.

While I'm not exactly fond of intelligent design, or creationism, I can see why it's valid, kind of. And some people want their children taught that way. It's not wrong. As for seperation of church and state... why do you think the argument even exists, but for that?  

NightIntent
Captain

Harbone

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:21 am
I think you do have to be very careful with Christianity, especially in the English-speaking world, where it's very dominant and often enforced with great cruelty. And it's fair to call it a myth - because most of the people who tell stories about it aren't all that well versed in even its most basic writings.

In the current climate, a whole bunch of scary people have got hold of the reigns of Christianity, so I wouldn't blame anyone who wants to give it an its teachings a wide berth. And if you don't beleive in the central tenets of Christianity, it all probably sounds pretty silly.

But I am a Christian and I do beleive in the myths, sometimes through force of will alone, on bad days. The great thing about Christianity is that it's one of the few religions in the world where you pretty much are accepted as the rotten loser you are - the Bible reminds you of that over and over and over again. But that's okay, because the Bible kind of hints that you're going to get away with it, as long as you at least try to play nice and beleive that Christ will save your sorry butt.

Sections like Romans and Galatians, which say really nasty things about gay people and, oh, I dunno, people who eat too much fruit, all end with statements that the scary jerks who seem to be Christianity's face to the world all like to ignore.

So, like, incidentally, the Ancient Greeks, there's more than one school of thought about this world-dominating mythology. Just because some philosophers considered the Greek Pantheon merely interpretive doesn't mean that most of the people weren't dead serious when they, for instance, sacrificed an ox to Zeus or went to visit the Oracle at Delphi.

No, am I required, as a Christian, to testify on behalf of the religion*, but I also think we have to take things in stride. Christianity has a lousy track record, but it's one of the most open religions out there because, basically, you don't have to be any good to collect it's benefits. You don't have to purify yourself or concentrate on kohns or follow shariah law - er, in a liberal Christian community.

Unfortunately, as you've pointed out, Elmon, some downright awful people are trying to change that.

All right, well, sorry about the rant. It's a complex subject.

*That's why this post is so dang long.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:18 pm
elmon
It's not only that. Christianity is the only religion in (European) history that has forced itself upon the world. Many religions are part of a country or area's culture, but Christianity has spread by MAKING people belief their myths, rather than solely raising children in that tradition.
Another thing about Christianity is that it's the only religion using science to prove itself, an impossible task if you ask me. I greatly oppose the Intelligent Design movement, even more than Scientology, because of the attention it draws to its nonsense. Separation between Church and State, anyone ever heard of that?!

As has been pointed out, many different religions have done that over time. Ever heard of the Romans? Didn't they crush a whole bunch of people under their boot and force them to adapt to their way of life?
I agree that christanity doesn't have a great track record (and for the record, i'm not religious at all) but that doesn't mean that you should bag it.
And I assure you that the Greek did believe in their gods and teh myths that accompany them, that's why so many REAL people are immortalised in them. They served as history, entertainment and a moral structure.  

Jesm

6,350 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100

Meithanos

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:14 am
Okay... this is more of a plee for help from you guys than anything... and this seems like the best place for answers... maybe.

In the Epilogue of Edgar Lee Masters's The Spoon River Anthology there is a Mythological character named "Yogarindra", can ANYONE give me any basic information on who you think this may be in mythology.

I know this character carries a mirror that casts illusion over people.
And I THINK that this character is (or at that moment is) a girl... at least all signs point this way from the text. But nothing more about this character is given.

Other clues are that "she" appears with Loki and Beelzabub, the three of them try to create man on their own.

Can you help?  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:04 pm
I have not had any luck with this at all. I'm gonna have to go to the library on this one.

It SOUNDS like Yogarindra is a hindu trickster, but I've never heard of him before. I'm pretty sure Yogarindra is a male, from reading that bit out of the online Spoon River Anthology.  

Harbone

Meithanos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:21 am
Harbone
I have not had any luck with this at all. I'm gonna have to go to the library on this one.

It SOUNDS like Yogarindra is a hindu trickster, but I've never heard of him before. I'm pretty sure Yogarindra is a male, from reading that bit out of the online Spoon River Anthology.

Thats what I'm getting, the trixter part... but his/her gender is ambiguous as far as I can tell. Though there is a line from yogarindra's part of the spell that hints to it being a woman... it says "Who was so cruel/ To make the Slave? Of me the sorceress, you the Knave..."

And I'd lay money that Yogarindra is NOT the actual spelling of the name... and anything you've found even remotely like this character is MORE than appreciated. I'd been TOLD that he/she was Hindu, but I've NOT been able to find ANYTHING about him/her.  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff