Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MISFIT a.d.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:18 pm
OOOOOOO PICK ME PICK ME!!!!! i have one, DOUCHEBAGS lol ^_^  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:13 pm
xAsh-chanx
GilAskan I love your point. I think that you're at the same level at them if you insult them but you get mad when they insult you.

D:

I wasn't trying to insult them at all.

I was just pointing out a certain level of hypocrisy. How can we (and by "we", I mean the goth culture as a whole) expect mainstream society to treat us well if we ourselves perpetuate stereotypes? Particularly the one that "goths are mean". We can't exactly hope for preps to accept goths if there are goths who say things like "stupid preps why wont they just die" "preps are A PAIN IN THE a**!" and "i hate them all".

If we (goths) say "I hate all preps", there's no reason that preps shouldn't say "I hate all goths".  

GilAskan
Crew

_darkened_tears_

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:24 pm
im.my.own.worst.enemy
Prep: A snooty or conceited teenager who follows popular fashion trends (Hollister, Abercrombie, etc.) and listens to popular music (Panic! at the Disco, Fall Out Boy, etc.) in order to climb the social ladder.

Prep: Another term for poser.

Prep: Someone who follows fads.

these are the ones im my school.... stare and i hate them all

Ya, I hate them all too.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:27 pm
I merely apply it to most people I hate, and its usually true.  

Asuna Kimbei

[ Die Katze ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:00 pm
all i'm going to say about preps is that they reallly annoy me, stare at me, and ask me idiotic stupid questions about the music i listen to, the way i dress and such.

mainly, i just get harrassed. and it really bugs.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:06 pm
Hmm, I don't think there is a REAL definition like the one you're looking for, but hey, you've gotten some pretty good answers so far. smile  

ringwraith10

lola_siannodel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:29 pm
GilAskan
There are a number of defintions to "prep". Like "Goth", there are popular definitions, as well as lesser known definitions.

Various Definitions I've heard:

Prep: Another term for an upper-class WASP (White Anglo-Saxon Protestant)

Prep: A member of the upper-class (or "privelaged") who attends private preparatory school. This defintion is commonly believed to be the root of the term, even if it no longer reflects the group.

Prep: A snooty or conceited teenager who follows popular fashion trends (Hollister, Abercrombie, etc.) and listens to popular music (Panic! at the Disco, Fall Out Boy, etc.) in order to climb the social ladder.

I'm not saying any of these are right or wrong. These are just things I've read and heard thrown around. Many people in this thread, without a doubt, will argue at least one or two of these defintions.

Here's Wikipedia's defintion for the common or slang usage:

Wikipedia.org
In recent years, young people have begun to use the term "preppy" as slang to describe those who appear clean-cut or strive to seem better off financially than others in an upper-middle class environment. In most regions, especially amongst young people, this usage has virtually replaced the traditional meaning of the word. Used in this manner, "preppy" is often applied contrary to the term's mainstream meaning stated above, as the slang version most often describes 'nouveau riche', publicly-educated people absorbed in the middle class hypermaterialistic pop culture pursuit of quality-made goods sold at prices for those who can pay for the best and most fashionable. As such, teenagers often apply this slang label to popular clothing not characteristic of "prepdom" such as American Eagle, abercrombie, Hollister Co., and Abercrombie and Fitch (prior to the original company's bankruptcy in 1977, it in fact was a prep staple). However, the "New England prep" image is still strongly associated with current use of the word. Abercrombie's clothes, for example, often reference lacrosse, rugby, and crew; sports typically linked with the outdoorsy New England lifestyle.

Again, I'm neither saying that this is right or wrong. Just saying what has been told to me.

Pretty much, though preppy can also refer to an overly happy person.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:32 pm
lola_siannodel
GilAskan
There are a number of defintions to "prep". Like "Goth", there are popular definitions, as well as lesser known definitions.

Various Definitions I've heard:

Prep: Another term for an upper-class WASP (White Anglo-Saxon Protestant)

Prep: A member of the upper-class (or "privelaged") who attends private preparatory school. This defintion is commonly believed to be the root of the term, even if it no longer reflects the group.

I'm not saying any of these are right or wrong. These are just things I've read and heard thrown around. Many people in this thread, without a doubt, will argue at least one or two of these defintions.

Here's Wikipedia's defintion for the common or slang usage:

Wikipedia.org
In recent years, young people have begun to use the term "preppy" as slang to describe those who appear clean-cut or strive to seem better off financially than others in an upper-middle class environment. In most regions, especially amongst young people, this usage has virtually replaced the traditional meaning of the word. Used in this manner, "preppy" is often applied contrary to the term's mainstream meaning stated above, as the slang version most often describes 'nouveau riche', publicly-educated people absorbed in the middle class hypermaterialistic pop culture pursuit of quality-made goods sold at prices for those who can pay for the best and most fashionable. As such, teenagers often apply this slang label to popular clothing not characteristic of "prepdom" such as American Eagle, abercrombie, Hollister Co., and Abercrombie and Fitch (prior to the original company's bankruptcy in 1977, it in fact was a prep staple). However, the "New England prep" image is still strongly associated with current use of the word. Abercrombie's clothes, for example, often reference lacrosse, rugby, and crew; sports typically linked with the outdoorsy New England lifestyle.

Again, I'm neither saying that this is right or wrong. Just saying what has been told to me.

Pretty much, though preppy can also refer to an overly happy person.

...Perhaps you're thinking of "Peppy"?  

GilAskan
Crew

AcidDropper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:48 pm
Someone who looks down at a girl with black pants and spikes
but smiles aproovingly at the girl who barely wears anything to cover up her body

my cousin, and I quote: "I love going to the mall at the begininng of the seasona nd checking out the prices of the newest fads. I love being the first one to wear the coolest stuff."

I swear she said that!!!!! stare  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:46 am
I think what a prep is by he/she's personality and how they act
Can't really explain how a personality for a prep would be.
because every prep's personality.

And I don't think it's by looks.
Because my friend gabby wears those stuff
But she listens to the best music ever.
All great bands in the some type of rock genre.
And i'm friends with some preps at school
and some of them hardly wear those kind of clothing lines.

Thida Fxcking Tragedy++

Forever Villain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:23 am
hummmm.... very interesting topic i have to admit i never heard of those definitons bbut still they are very truthful domokun  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff