Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild
Yaoi couples biased? EDIT Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

kironagi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:59 pm
kiba132324
Well, my freind and I are working on a comic. The two charecters I want to focus on right now are a guy and a girl (how many of you stopped reading right there?). Well, the girl is meant to look like a guy. She is not suposed to be reveled as a girl untill later in the story. My freinds question is : If she were to reveel that the guy was acctually a girl, would people stop liking the couple?
The point is...Are some pairings just formed because of the fact that they are both guys, or is there evidence to their relationship? How many of you are guilty of or noticed pairings being made because of the gender? Would you stop likeing the couple if you figured out the uke was a girl? Do you think others will?

I understand that most people are not as that shallow. I'm just saying, yaoi/shonen-ai seems a bit biased.

Yes, this thread is somewhat pointless, and may be a bit offensive. I'm sorry. <3 I do not mean to waste your time, but I noticed that the younger generation seems to like shonen-ai only because of the fact that they are both guys.
(I'm not very good at first posts. D: )

(I can't spell, yes I am part of the younger generation...so sue me.)<33

Hmm the poor guy sure gonna have a heart attack when he thought the guy he like is a girl. However if the personality is liken by the guy, shouldnt be a problem for them to fall in love with each other.

Anyways....how come the girl literally disguise herself to be a guy anyway?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:12 pm
kironagi
kiba132324
Well, my freind and I are working on a comic. The two charecters I want to focus on right now are a guy and a girl (how many of you stopped reading right there?). Well, the girl is meant to look like a guy. She is not suposed to be reveled as a girl untill later in the story. My freinds question is : If she were to reveel that the guy was acctually a girl, would people stop liking the couple?
The point is...Are some pairings just formed because of the fact that they are both guys, or is there evidence to their relationship? How many of you are guilty of or noticed pairings being made because of the gender? Would you stop likeing the couple if you figured out the uke was a girl? Do you think others will?

I understand that most people are not as that shallow. I'm just saying, yaoi/shonen-ai seems a bit biased.

Yes, this thread is somewhat pointless, and may be a bit offensive. I'm sorry. <3 I do not mean to waste your time, but I noticed that the younger generation seems to like shonen-ai only because of the fact that they are both guys.
(I'm not very good at first posts. D: )

(I can't spell, yes I am part of the younger generation...so sue me.)<33

Hmm the poor guy sure gonna have a heart attack when he thought the guy he like is a girl. However if the personality is liken by the guy, shouldnt be a problem for them to fall in love with each other.

Anyways....how come the girl literally disguise herself to be a guy anyway?
Technically she doesn't disuise herself. She just hates the sluttyness of the girls around her, so she weres guy clothing. Pluss, she would rather stay behind and go un-noticed rather than have cat calls following her everywere. People just MISTAKE her for a guy. She does not care when people call her a he, and she does not object. She perfers it.  

UlooAloo

SeNalove

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:26 pm
Well..I'm not really sure. In the past when I've read a few series where the girl is mistaken for a guy ( Host Club, W Juliet, etc. ) the girl character is extremely annoying, even before I knew they were a girl. I think I find them just a tad obnoxious is because sometimes the whole basis for them dressing as a girl is to be tomboy-ish, and I've found that it's difficult to protray a tomboy without her acting flat-out rude ( I'm not saying this is how it is in real life, just with fics and series I've encountered ) or she has some other excuse which is usually clumped into the same categoru-she must dress as a boy to get into such and such a school, pla a certain role, blah blah. So I guess that's why I don't really like take to those stories where the girl is suddenly found to be a boy.

Anyway, I might even possibly be what what you guys are calling a 'fangirl' ( have I ever even so much as blinked an eye when seen my favorite coupling in something as public as a convention? No. I keep my fandom to myself, but since you guys all seem to hate my type so much...) in that I will seek out a certain series because it has a boy-boy coupling. There, I admit it. Like it or don't. But I'm not saying that that is why I might shy away from stories where one boy turns out to really be a girl. Those just usually end up being very cliche is all, and quite as boring as how some others consider stereotypical shounen-ai to be boring. It's just a personal preferance when it all comes down to it I guess.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:09 pm
I must admit that I've read fics in the past where that sort of thing has happened (the "guy" is actually a girl) and I've just stopped reading. I like my slash to be slash I guess. But if it wasn't labelled as slash then I'd know what I was letting myself in for and would probably read it on its own merit - not just for the slashy goodness! lol.  

Aeronwyn

14,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Cheerleader 200

I. L. Malphas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:16 pm
hentai shumi KAMON BEIBII
And all that matters is that they are GAY.

Also, it's all that gay stuff. Of course Shounen Ai is gay stuff, you can't escape that, but I will tell you what I mean. Thought this is hard to explain but I try. It's not many movies, books, mangas, animes which contains gays I've seen or read that doesn't put the being-gay thing in focus. I like to read about gay people, I'm a gay male myself and the reason I like YAOI is that it is something related to me and my prefferences. But I like to read about gay people in natural circumstances. It's so annoyning that every gay is SO GAY, everything he does has to do with that he is gay. One time, I read a book with a straight couple aloud, but I gave the female character a male name and read she as he, and that was s perfect! No one questioned 'him', 'he' was natural and did normal stuff and also the relationship with 'his' boyfriend was more exciting than any Shounen Ai manga or book I ever read, just because they were so even in a way. I don't think there is anything special with being gay. That's why I would like to read stuff that don't make so big fuss over that being-gay thing.

That's very true. I wrote a horror story once with gay characters and one of my friends asked me why they were gay. I was like: well, why not?

The rest of the conversation is forgettable, but I distinctly got the impression during it that since there sexuality wasn't the focus, it shouldn't be in there.

As for the discussion of wether the revealing of a male character to be female would loose interest... It all depends on the execution of it. Do we like said female character? Is the relationship believable? I'm sure you've already thought of this though. And I do agree with the quote above me. So I'll leave it at that.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:46 pm
X3 i wasgonna
write a storylike that
but i never did
because i'malways too lazy XD

but anyways.
i wouldn't like it if it was advertized as like a big shounen ai story but if it wasn't then it'd be great : D i'mopen to everything.
but i thinksome people are just like GAYGAYGAYSUPAKAWAIIGAYBOYS PRETTYLOL just because that's kinda 'the thing' now

kainkuga

Haseo-bozu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:45 pm
It doesnt atter to me i like all pairings be it guyxguy guyxgirl or girlxgirl. I don't buy manga because of the pairings, i buy it because i think it is good. I have tons of guyxgirl mangas that i love and I have guyxguy manga's that i love also and soon when japan realeases yuri i will have them to : ) !

I don't get angry when pairings are not what i want them to be that's what the fun of making duijishis of the pairing you do like is! ^_^ And fanfics as well.

Well that was my opinion. Sorry if it was confusing sometimes i just ramble lol.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:28 pm
I'm a hopeless romantic, so whether it's guy/guy, guy/girl, girl/guy, or girl/girl, I'll read it so long as the story's good and the characters are interesting.

That being said, I really wanna read your story. heart  

RionaDaidouji

UlooAloo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:40 am
Thank you everyone. <3  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:29 pm
Hana Kimi. @__o;

Don't think I mind at all. xD I mean, I'm not "ZOMG YAOI ALL THE WAY!!111!!!one!!" person. I like all pairings equally. ::nodnod::

xD

[.lunatic.fringe.]

SeNalove

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:37 pm
Now that I've read your edit, your story reminds me quite an awful lot of the series W Juliet. Have you heard of it? Lol, I think you might like it ( it's not particularly to my fancy though my older sister loves it ). I know that was kind of off topic, I just thought it was interesting, the connection I saw, that's all. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:55 pm
Well. the way your story sounds, I don't think I'd be put off by finding out it's a girl.
However it got me wondering the same thing about other yaoi mangas I've read. How would I react to Shuichi and Yuki's relationship if say, Shuichi was a girl?
....Frankly, I think I'd hate it. ^^  

Katastrophic_Kate

Ootori Kyouya-sama

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:02 pm
I'm gonna lie, when I found out, the shallow, immature side of me would be very dissapointed, and maybe even stop reading. However, you've said that it's a shonen, so I'm pretty sure I would go on reading it, albiet grudgingly at first.

Now, if it were a romance story, I would almost definitely quit, because I have a very un-politically correct, and very biased prejudice in my head that any het romance story will be cliche and terrible. That's just the way I am, and so I probably wouldn't continue reading if that's what I assumed was ahead. However, since it's a shonen I'd keep reading for the action.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:28 pm
When I saw the first episode of Ouran high school host club I didn't know Haruhi was a girl. When I found out I was a little disapointed but I stuck with the series. I actually like the Haruhi+Tamaki pairing, sure I don't find it as hot as Kyoya+Tamaki but Haruhi is so androgenous that I don't care, and she's really cute. I wish I could masquerade as a guy, I think it would be fun. I would love to have a man love me as a man, but only for a day or so because I like being a girl.

Yeah, and there is enough BL hints in host club to keep me satisfied so I don't care if the main character is female (do you know what I would give to be in her shoes though eek )  

Ciceros_Cupcake_Republic

The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces