Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should they?
  yeah
  nah
View Results

EvFaerAshlynn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:10 am
What's the point of charging them with murder/attempted murder? It would most likely make the victim think, "Wow. I'm a criminal. I deserve to die." Therefore the charge would possibly encourage further attempts. And if they're going to press charges after the actual suicide... What's the point in that? How would they procecute someone who's already dead? Would they just stick the corpse in a jail cell or something? And besides, if your spouse/child/sibling/lover/friend took his/her life and left you behind to mourn, how would you feel if the police came to your door and told you that your dearly departed is now charged with murder? That would hurt, wouldn't it? It would deepen the wound, possibly make you feel that, in not preventing the suicide, you committed a crime. That would be a horrible thing to go through, especially after such a tragedy.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:32 am
In the case of Jesus Christ, I would say it would have been the same sort of scenario as "Suicide by cop."

And attempting suicide actually is a crime. There can be both time served and a monetary penalty for attempting suicide.
I do beleive that if you complete a suicide the monetary penalties can be passed to your family. Not sure about that one though.

Anywho, and interesting statistic to note:
Females are four times more likely to attempt suicide than males.
Yey males are four times as likely to complete a suicide as females.

Looks like when it comes down to actually getting things done, men lead. biggrin

Another intersting statistic. Four out of every one hundred thousand five year olds commit suicide.  

DieiNoctis

Hunter of the Dammed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:24 pm
SarahArden
Technically, you are taking a life but it is your own. You are doing it with your own consent and of your free will. If a person is stopped from killing themself, should they be charged with murder?

Just get the guy/or chick some help. man jail aint gona do them any good  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:37 pm
They need help not a prison cell, murder charges are the wrong things for people in that possition  

kayla1234098

xAsh-chanx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:42 pm
I know, being a formerly suicidal person. That if attempted suicide was punishable..I would have done everything in my power to make sure that I successfully died, and stayed that way.

A person who attempted suicide is usually in a severely vunerable state, punishing them could cause relapses and possibly cause them to attempt suicide again.

Many of you might not believe this quote. But I find it extremely interesting.

"Suicide is not chosen; it happens when pain outweighs coping resources."  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:30 pm
It scares me to death and I would discourage them in any way I could, the fact of the matter is people should own, if anything, their own body and life! The government has no say in who lives or dies, they have no right to kill suspected criminals or imprison suicidal people, its entirly backwords. I even believe that a friend should be aloud to assist in a suicide without prosicution. Although suicide is selfish and rash, it is still a natural right a person should have. Even if a person has nothing else in the world, they still should have ownership of thier own person.

Besides, people kill themselves on accident everday. And, there could be confusion over whether or not the act was with intention to die (such as drug overdose or self-bondage)  

Miss Jetpack

xAsh-chanx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:15 pm
"They tell us that suicide is the greatest piece of cowardice; . . . that suicide is wrong; when it is quite obvious that there is nothing in the world to which every man has a more unassailable title than to his own life and person. "
- Arthur Schopenhauer  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:04 pm
Amon the Halfbreed
SarahArden
Technically, you are taking a life but it is your own. You are doing it with your own consent and of your free will. If a person is stopped from killing themself, should they be charged with murder?

Just get the guy/or chick some help. man jail aint gona do them any good

i couldn't have said it better myself. xd

is suicide the same as murder? i think not. murder is 'bad' because it is an act against the foundations and the integrity of the human society. you are forcibly taking the life of another against their will, which is -if not punished severely- something that will make it very close to impossible for humans live in such large groups.
if you believe suicide is something that needs to be punished, that means you see it as an act against the integrity of the society. and i can't really see why it would be such.  

lysseee

6,100 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Invisibility 100

DR490N

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:05 pm
your question doesnt make sense from a legal standpoint. you cannot be charged with murder for attempted suicide. murder requires actual death. it is concievable that you could be charged with ATTEMPTED murder, but it doesnt seem effectual or at all practical. suicide is makingthe choice for yourself, while murder is ending the life of another, and taking that life against their consent(with consent it is called euthanasia). Personally, i wouldnt want my tax dollars being used to charge someone with a crime they didnt commit, especially considering that some methods of suicide are legal in other cultures. the way i see it, if somebody wants to kill themself and find a permanent solution to a temporary problem, let them. their life, their choice.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:21 pm
You mean charged with attempted murder.

And I disagree. That's a religious thing. Stuff like that should stay well out of the law.

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50

gothkid82

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:45 am
Suicidal people should never be charge with murder. An attempted suicide is a desperate cry for attention and they need help... immediately.

Instead the individual should be brought to a therapist or mental health clinic so that he/she the help that he/she deserves.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:46 am
zz1000zz
Raethyn Sarachael
I wish they *could* be charged with stupidity. I agree with Nyed.

So suicide is stupid? What about martyrdom? Was the Christian Jesus stupid?

Again stupidity should be a crime... Jesus was killed, he was hung on a cross my men... there for he did not commit suicide... A martyr is a person who is put to death or endures suffering because of a belief, principle or cause. The death of a martyr or the value attributed to it is called martyrdom.

If your comparing them cause he accepted his death then your still stupid... Suicide is usually committed out of self-pity and because a person gives up on life. Martyrs accept that they will die for there cause and follow the set path because they are strong and believe in what they stand for....

ok so you have Suicide=weak and Martyr=strong at least in my comparison they are... one who kills him self because they cant take life are weak those who die for a cause are strong.  

Icy-Determination_020

ArynChris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:00 pm
xAsh-chanx
"They tell us that suicide is the greatest piece of cowardice; . . . that suicide is wrong; when it is quite obvious that there is nothing in the world to which every man has a more unassailable title than to his own life and person. "
- Arthur Schopenhauer

Aye.

What is the crime of murder
but the selfsame crime as theft?
What is the crime of suicide
but one's final act of choice?
Society punishes
the independent spirit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:50 pm
ArynChris
xAsh-chanx
- Arthur Schopenhauer

Aye.

What is the crime of murder
but the selfsame crime as theft?
What is the crime of suicide
but one's final act of choice?
Society punishes
the independent spirit.

Stupid is still Stupid
If I wherent sleepy I would type up an argument that would make this more practical since most poeple are only looking at it from one angle... and a note my dear society in general does not punish the independent spirit society simply tries to keep it from flying to close to the sun.
Its only the loud mouths with power who might punish an independent spirit... than agian this also goes on what you see as an independent spirit.  

Icy-Determination_020

Extended Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces