2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
other
22%
 22%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 83

sideoutkid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:37 pm
when im at skool they always call me like chinese cuz of my eyes but i say im not chinese they said then what are you i say im filipino my friend siad thats not asian they always say thats not asian its a pacific islander so w/e you kno i just tell them that im asian if you dont like deal with it lol lol  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:46 pm
Hahaha...it's funny because the girl you were talking to is stupid...
...right. I'm Taiwanese and the majority of the non-asian population has either never heard of it, or can't point it out on the map, or both. Usually both. It's irritating, but now if people ask me what Nationality I am, I just say "Yes," to their first guess.

XShadowMistressX

sideoutkid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:40 pm
well my friends call me chinese cuz of my eyes but im filipino and they say im not asian but to my mom im azn and to my cuzins most of my closest friends and fam think were azn so ya  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:14 pm
its pretty stupid to for some1 to call you a pacific islander.. i mean.. we're part of asia, the continent, so we're asian.. >_<  

doggy_poo

Isako Narumi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:29 pm
I experience the same thing with most of the asians at my school. T__T# I mean, what's so bad about counting us, Filipinos, in the "asian" category? Why must we be called "pacific islanders" when we, too, ARE asians! >.>; People should /not/ automatically think that only chinese, vietnamese, japanese, etc. are asians. =.= They probably need some kind of book and SEE that those races are /not/ the only races that should be considered as "asians." It's like..they're isolating the others.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:12 am
I would be soooo annoyed. Some people should try to understand more varieties of Asians instead of assuming that you're Chinese, Korean, etc.  

gotmycarfixed

X_Sig_X

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:58 am
friggatone for life beezy

Why do people automatically think of "asian" as chinese, etc.?

I'd Guess That It's Cause China Is The Largest Land Area Asian Country And Because Its The Most Known.....And Im Guessing Thats What It Is So No One Flip Out On Me Or Anything...  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:48 am
Uhhh...I always thought the whole "pacif islander" thing was stupid, no offense. I'm always like "you're apart of Asia, dang it, so call yourself Asian!" But from your point of view, I see what you mean. it's just I guess because there's the Chinese who came to America a long time ago before most asians to work on the railroad or look for good or whatnot like that. I guess it depends on your area if people understand being Philipino or something also means you're asian. 'Round here, you would still be considered asian smile  

damatte

Jotave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:53 am
all the time!!! this happenS!!!!  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:51 pm
lets take hawaii for example. if no one took over hawaii, they'd still be called hawaiians. but no, since the US has authority over hawaii and turned it to a state, they're now considered americans unlike somoa or puerto rico. because these countries aren't granted statesship by US, they're still considered samoans or puertoricans, not americans.

so because the philippines is goverened by filipinos and not some other race or delegation, they're considered filipinos. now if the previous rulers (spain, japan, US *no offense*) were still in control, they'd be considered as the rulers' nationality.

as to why some think filipinos are asian, its because its very close to the mainland and early asians inhabited the island a long time ago and to this day has mixed with the other races that took control of the place. flips are like hybrids; not exactly one type but a multitude of types. so althogh they may not look entirely asian, they definitely have asian blood running through them. although the philippines may be close to the mainland, most of their skin tones differ from that of japan's (also an island country). but thats only because the philippines is closer to the equater which means they get a whole lot more blazing sun whereas japan sees snow every so often.

as to why some think flips are P.I.(pacific islanders) theres a reasonable explanation. just because its surrounded by large bodies of sea doesnt mean that those seas dont belong to an ocean. take the indian ocean for example. theres some kinda bay in india, but its just part of the larger indian ocean. *back to topic* flips dont actually comply to a lot of the asian culture. over there, they dont use chopsticks and their clothing is a bit different in order to adapt to the weather. china may have their silk clothing, the the flips adapted it to make it more fitting to their enviorment (barongs, etc.). flips have created their own culture by combinng their different nationalities to one new culture. plus, they eat lots of coconut and bananas and stuff because like in island nations, these products are plentiful.*hehehe*

to wrap it all up...... im not sure how to wrap it up. ill edit this later.  

metamonkey

SLURPEE_E

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:02 pm
to me, personally, i believe that philipinos are asian. my friend, who is a philipino says he's pacific islander. in one aspect it annoys me that he doesn't accept himself as an asian. in another light, after hearing this so many times, i don't even know what philipino is anymore.

so when philipino people say they are pacific islander/asian, all i do now is nod my head and say "alright."  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:31 pm
Omg...I do that too, Slurpee! Hahaha, I'm too lazy to say anything now :3  

damatte

` Panda Chan `

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:55 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.—¤÷(`[¤* People Change... Things Go Wrong... *¤]´)÷¤—User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

- User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. -

That happened a lot to me as well.
Sort of.
I onced had this conversation with my friend Li and
He's half chinese & half hawaiian. We were in our English class and it was
Free day, meaning we could do whatever since we earned it.
I was talking to him and then he randomly said, "Well. I don't know why,
But if your from the philippines doesn't that make you a Pacific Islander?
Not Asian? 'Cause it's not really 'in' asia, asia. Ya know what I mean"
I said Asia is a big country. There are big states and little states.
Asia was formed with many different states, including the Philippines.
So technically we are Asian. Hawaii is part of the Pacific Island, but
It's still considered part of the U.S. Alaska borders Canda, but it's still
Part of the U.S.
Or... Er. Went something like that. I can't remember. It was from like
A year ago. .-.

- User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. -

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.—¤÷(`[¤* s**t Happens... But Life Goes On... *¤]´)÷¤—User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:10 am
just dont get too caught up in it. its really not a big deal.  

metamonkey

Animaznboy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:21 am
Kira Nishikawa
When stereotyp-ism gets to push very very freakin' hard on a person it may divert that person.

People like things easy so they place each person in a group, or sub-group of people.

China, is well known due to its immense size, trade relation, and immigrants flocking here for work/citizenship. Same with Korea, and Japan with well known wars, and pretty much the majority has the same color skin of yellow with various common facial features.. You see less brown-ish skinned asians there however.

From learning from history err... Rex Navarette's enterpretation.., Filipino's were the first asian people here in america. In 1587, 8 filipino's on Spanish gallions(sp?) landed on the shores known as Moral Bay in Southern Cailifornia. However we can't decipher who this filipino's were becuase they the spanish names you know like that long.

I always hated the term "Pacific Islander" sounds way too english.
Indeed those people are on islands, but they are not really that near the Pacific. Filipino's have the Philippine Sea, and South China Sea to be inbetweeen from. I dun' want to go any futher geographically...
Was it the Australians, Americans, or Europenas who come up with that term?I wonder who started the term "asian" also... Darn grouping it causes serious confusion.

If there's any missing information, and whatever that's needed... well go on ahead, and talk the talk.
My brain's fried from the heat anyways. xp

Rex Navarette is the shiz xd

Were both.
Contradicting with what Nishikawa said xd . It doesn't matter if they call you pacific islander or not. But you have to be asian. Ask them this one question. "What continent does the philippines belong to?" If they're stupid enough to say Australia or the Pacific ocean, please slap them accross the face for me stare  
Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff