Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Three Fold Law...Opinions? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Poll Pour Vous
  Oui Oui
View Results

Aesi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:44 pm
TeaDidikai
Which is a proportional response, not a multiplication there of- none of which accounts for the fact that Chaos Theory allows for external factors to feed in energy, nor does it take into account that even within Chaos Theory, Entropy still wins eventually.

Those key points keep The Three Fold Law from functioning in any natural framework- and until I see otherwise, I have no reason to assert they work in a supernatural framework either- especially since the tendancy is to apply it universally- which I know for a fact is not how it actually functions.

You have got some talent for mathematical logic... o0  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:49 pm
i have read some books that put alot of emphesis on the three fold law and some that throw it out all together personal i do nothing that would harm anyone that isnt desirving in my eyes because im a good person and thats the only reason.

i think karma well i call it karma because thats the closest thing isnt really the things coming back to you that you did wrong i think its the idea of doing over the mistakes you have made in your past lifes the correct way its the world giving you another chance to do it over in your next life. I'll give you an example you are a battered woman and kill your husband instead of leaving him in your next life you could be brought back together in a similar situation and instead of you killing him you walk out the door.
(feel free to rip this apart if you like)

i dont really personaly believe in the three fold law i dont think if i do something bad some cosmic power is going to send negative stuff back at me to make up for it and sertantly not three fold there are to many people in this world who wrong people to do that.  

Ezinu

Unbeatable Hoarder

4,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Member 100
  • Trader 100

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:30 am
mouseyanna
i have read some books that put alot of emphesis on the three fold law and some that throw it out all together personal i do nothing that would harm anyone that isnt desirving in my eyes because im a good person and thats the only reason.

i think karma well i call it karma because thats the closest thing isnt really the things coming back to you that you did wrong i think its the idea of doing over the mistakes you have made in your past lifes the correct way its the world giving you another chance to do it over in your next life. I'll give you an example you are a battered woman and kill your husband instead of leaving him in your next life you could be brought back together in a similar situation and instead of you killing him you walk out the door.

i dont really personaly believe in the three fold law i dont think if i do something bad some cosmic power is going to send negative stuff back at me to make up for it and sertantly not three fold there are to many people in this world who wrong people to do that.

*hands you a handful of commas, fullstops, capital letters and apostrophes*
I'm dyslexic.
Please fix your post.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:46 am
Aesi

Not really. But hey- don't let me shatter the illusion.
mouseyanna
i do nothing that would harm anyone that isnt desirving in my eyes because im a good person and thats the only reason.
How does your opinion of what kind of person you are translate into if others deserve to be harmed or not?
Quote:

i think karma well i call it karma because thats the closest thing isnt really the things coming back to you that you did wrong i think its the idea of doing over the mistakes you have made in your past lifes the correct way its the world giving you another chance to do it over in your next life.
Which isn't what Karma is. ~double checks~ Nope. No mention of Dharma.

Quote:
I'll give you an example you are a battered woman and kill your husband instead of leaving him in your next life you could be brought back together in a similar situation and instead of you killing him you walk out the door.
Not Karma. No mention of Dharma- no concept of "right action within Dharma" no mention of attachment.  

TeaDidikai

Aesi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:03 pm
TeaDidikai
Aesi

Not really. But hey- don't let me shatter the illusion.

Allow me to quantify the statement, then. Your talent is way beyond mine, therefore appears gigantic from my humble li'l position.

mouseyanna
i do nothing that would harm anyone that isnt desirving in my eyes because im a good person and thats the only reason.

Like Tea said, that's not logical. It's like saying that because you have feet, you'll never step on a bug. (For those who are better at logic, am I right thinking it's a problem of perspective?) We humans don't have the right to decide who deserves what. It's a good thing that you try not to hurt people, but that alone doesn't mean you're a good or bad person. Saints have led wars and evil men have promoted peace.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:04 pm
I personally believe in karma but I have trouble believing in the Three Fold Law. Why? Well our universe is all about balance, correct? But the TFL seems to throw eveything out of that balance. The TFL states that whatever you do will come back to you three times. So if you do one good thing then you either have three good things happen to you or you have one huge good thing happen to you. The same with bad things. Giving one and getting back three just doesn't seem balanced to me. But that's just my opinion. I believe that whatever you get is equal to what you gave.  

crystal_raye

Shavis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:12 pm
I kind of agree with Raye, it is all about balance. Not too big on Karma without Dharma and personally believe threefold is crap. If you mess up you will get messed up. that is about as far as it extends for me.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:13 pm
crystal_raye
I personally believe in karma but I have trouble believing in the Three Fold Law. Why? Well our universe is all about balance, correct? But the TFL seems to throw eveything out of that balance. The TFL states that whatever you do will come back to you three times. So if you do one good thing then you either have three good things happen to you or you have one huge good thing happen to you. The same with bad things. Giving one and getting back three just doesn't seem balanced to me. But that's just my opinion. I believe that whatever you get is equal to what you gave.

In other words, Equivalent Exchange, the false law of alchemy as seen in Full Metal Alchemist. A person lacking perception can study all they want and never learn a thing. That's not equal. Nor is the woman who raises a child by herself through much suffering and stress only to die early or see her child die.  

Aesi

Shavis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:21 pm
ah, but this doesn't take into account the fact that the exchange of equivalents need not take place immediately or be composed of the same type of substance, only that they be equivalent. Therefore someone who spends all their time studying may not learn anything at that point in time or may simply learn that sometimes knowledge requires experience and study may not always be pertinent. Only the intrinsic value of the substance/experience is important.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:10 pm
crystal_raye
I personally believe in karma but I have trouble believing in the Three Fold Law. Why? Well our universe is all about balance, correct?
Not my universe. My universe is about generation and entropy.  

TeaDidikai

Aesi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:15 pm
Shavis
ah, but this doesn't take into account the fact that the exchange of equivalents need not take place immediately or be composed of the same type of substance, only that they be equivalent. Therefore someone who spends all their time studying may not learn anything at that point in time or may simply learn that sometimes knowledge requires experience and study may not always be pertinent. Only the intrinsic value of the substance/experience is important.

It still doesn't make sense. Allow me to get more personal. I have very little memory of my childhood. No idea of what sort of thoughts I had, why I behaved in certain ways. Even many important events are just not there. And yet, in the past six or so years, my development has rushed forward. Where I was a child who lacked the mental growth others go through, I became above average. I struggled to develop my will. I taught myself to type, corrected my posture, and realigned my lower jaw by will. I pursued wisdom and I think I have been rewarded well for my age. I pursued imagination and my life gave it freely, though the earning of it is painful. I sought faith in keeping with my conscience and was made to learn awe. All this I have fought for, through years of hatred and ambition, divine awe and the realization of my family's deep love.

However, what has come of my childhood? There's a great rift between myself now and myself then. If what you say is correct, then I should be a product of my youth. But even my life as of three years ago is so distant as to seem like a view of someone else's history. My memory is so faulty, I remember things only month by month. Few things other than promises or repetitive actions stay with me. What has been repaid for the times of my youth that I have lost? All that I am now, I have earned in the past six years.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:47 pm
Not necessarily, perhapse your chldhood was a form of sacrifce for you to grow so much later, it doesn't always mean the effort applied, on occasion it has more to do with what has been lost or given up. Perhapse I'm just not articulating my thoughts effectively. sorry, it's been a while since I've been able to function coherently.  

Shavis

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:37 am
crystal_raye
I believe that whatever you get is equal to what you gave.

That ignores enthropy.
I, and the Celts in general, believe in Gods of Justice and I believe that doing things UnJust can draw their Attention. I try to avoid Their Attention out of fear. The Irish Gods are thoroughly unpleasant to those who displease Them. However, if someone does something that offends or hurts me or someone I love, my knee jerk reaction will be to fry them. Normally Quantum_Leaper is there to remind me about the Gods of Justice, and so I will normally behave but there are, as ever, exceptions.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:23 am
*sucks at physics* Isn't there a Newton's law about every action creating an equal and opposite reaction? Of course this doesn't really take entropy into the equation, but it's possible it could have some application in magic. Not to say that you cast a shield and somewhere else a wall falls down, but everything a person does effects things in their environment which in turn effects things elsewhere. I guess that's somewhat more like chaos theory. But what I was thinking of was more like balance. That because you decided to heal a friend, someone else had to fall ill for longer to make up for it. More like that. It was just an idea that came to me while reading the thread... I think the threefold law is a pile of bollox spouted by fluffy whitelighters to make them feel good about their utter magical ineptitude.  

Pelta

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:58 am
reagun ban
crystal_raye
I believe that whatever you get is equal to what you gave.

That ignores enthropy.
I, and the Celts in general, believe in Gods of Justice and I believe that doing things UnJust can draw their Attention. I try to avoid Their Attention out of fear. The Irish Gods are thoroughly unpleasant to those who displease Them. However, if someone does something that offends or hurts me or someone I love, my knee jerk reaction will be to fry them. Normally Quantum_Leaper is there to remind me about the Gods of Justice, and so I will normally behave but there are, as ever, exceptions.
I consider myself lucky that my gods demand that I act on my wrath when an "injustice" has been done.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff