Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Non-eclectic ceremonialism? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:03 pm
Aesi

-faints- Workshops? Qabalic practice is a part of daily life and should be accompanied by thorough studies.
What does the word Workshop mean to you?
Quote:
It's one reason I left that church.
~blinks~ Oh gods... quick! Someone hide her from Tsuzuki! We don't need another one running around and lurking in the bushes!!!!  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:11 pm
TeaDidikai
What does the word Workshop mean to you?

A gathering once or twice a week, involving light learning and social chatter. At best, a brief review of technical training.

TeaDidiKai
~blinks~ Oh gods... quick! Someone hide her from Tsuzuki! We don't need another one running around and lurking in the bushes!!!!

o0 What, another LDS apostate?  

Aesi

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:35 pm
Aesi

A gathering once or twice a week, involving light learning and social chatter. At best, a brief review of technical training.
Hmmmmm...
I guess I have been lucky in the workshops I coordinated for SummerStar.

Quote:

o0 What, another LDS apostate?
There are a handful of them running around. ~stuffs you into an oversized duffle~ Stay there and not a word!  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:48 pm
TeaDidikai
Hmmmmm...
I guess I have been lucky in the workshops I coordinated for SummerStar.

My opinion of them could be one-sided. I live in Utah, after all. This place is a center of "social norm make-believe". There are girls here who advertise their Mary Kay whoring as makeover workshops.

TeaDidiKai
There are a handful of them running around. ~stuffs you into an oversized duffle~ Stay there and not a word!

-muffled squeak-  

Aesi

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:30 am
Aesi

My opinion of them could be one-sided. I live in Utah, after all. This place is a center of "social norm make-believe". There are girls here who advertise their Mary Kay whoring as makeover workshops.
That could be a large part of the problem.

Of course this all ties in with my whole Teaching should be done by the teachers rant. But that's another thread.

Quote:
-muffled squeak-
~whistles innocently, twiddling her thumbs as Tsuzuki passes by~  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:58 am
TeaDidikai
That could be a large part of the problem.

Of course this all ties in with my whole Teaching should be done by the teachers rant. But that's another thread.

Ah, which one? smile

TeaDidiKai
~whistles innocently, twiddling her thumbs as Tsuzuki passes by~

What are you going to do to me?!  

Aesi

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:16 pm
Aesi

Ick...Utah....the only state that scares me more then Texas.

There is a place in there that manufacture/stores (I don't remember which) Aanthrex, and this place was less then fifty miles from where the Olympics where held. THere is also a city there (only a city) that perports to refuse UN inspectors....

Utah is scary. eek

More on topic: Tea, what kind of teachers are you talking about?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:00 am
Kuroiban
More on topic: Tea, what kind of teachers are you talking about?

I get a little edgy around people who claim to be teachers without first giving a lot of thought to what a Teacher is, and the weight that the position holds.

I myself am not a teacher. That doesn't mean people don't learn from what I say and do, but to set oneself as an authority and instruct another (or a group) is a vast undertaking.  

TeaDidikai

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:28 am
TeaDidikai
I get a little edgy around people who claim to be teachers without first giving a lot of thought to what a Teacher is, and the weight that the position holds.

I've had students, but I've never been a Teacher, just a guide/mentor.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:15 am
reagun ban
Teaching spiritually is bloody well dangerous. I'd never do it. That and my style is so personal I doubt I could ever fully share it or teach it to a student.

I teach the flute. That's different because in that I know damn well what I'm talking about. cool

Being a teacher of any sort isn't easy. It's a hefty responsibility and the link one creates with one's students, especially on a one-on-one basis, can be quite personal and taxing.  

Pelta

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:35 pm
reagun ban
TeaDidikai

I'm a big fan of the free exchange of ideas (within the bounds of ethics of course).

But it will be a cold day indeed when I take on the role of teacher.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:44 pm
Kuroiban, here's a couple for you. You think that chemical plant is dangerous? Testing of nuclear waste disposal has been done recently on the Bonneville Salt Flats, but they didn't inform the masses of RV enthusiasts who rise on that land. Furthermore, the materials being tested were transported on a raised highway that crosses over Salt Lake City's West Side. And the real kicker here: if the testing is successful, thousands of more tons of nuclear waste will be passing on this highway in cement vats on semi-trucks. The processing plant that made this arrangement claims it's all low-level waste, but the state is letting them slide without mandatory checks at the state border, so how do we know they aren't slipping some worse stuff in there to keep costs down?

Then there's the Legacy Highway. Citizenz and wildlife conservancies have been holding it back for years because the original plan had part of the highway going right through preserved wetlands. However, these groups were forced down and still have let go of one quarter of the migratory birds refuge located on that land.

Ahem, back on topic, it's hard by today's standards to do one-on-one teaching. And it can present the danger of a narrow viewpoint, a burden that students usually leave to the teacher to correct for. A good teacher who encourages thinking different from their own is really hard to come by. But there's no question it is much, much better to learn from such a person.

When teaching magic, well... Even more gets involved. Magic taught or learned carelessly may only exaggerate personal flaws and so can seriously endanger both parties. For this reason, even if I have a biased view of workshops, I'm still a little leery of them.

3nodding Teaching is definitely not for the weak of heart.  

Aesi

Aesi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:47 pm
TeaDidikai
I'm a big fan of the free exchange of ideas (within the bounds of ethics of course).

-raises hand- I'm a fan of that, too. It really helps serious students who know how to prioritize. Shame more people don't have such talents. The population of dabblers might die out by itself. biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:02 pm
reagun ban
TeaDidikai

Forgive me, but I fail to see the difference. Could you explain what you mean?  

Oniko-inuki

Pelta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:18 pm
Oniko-inuki
Forgive me, but I fail to see the difference. Could you explain what you mean?
Not to put words in reagun's mouth or anything, but a teacher will often tell you what to do and how to do it. A mentor just points you in the right direction and helps out if you're really stuck.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff