Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.
Who would/will you vote for? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zoutout

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:17 am
I thought it was the Tories and the Whigs, which I took to be Labour and Conservative.

Good old Tories, were it not for Earl Grey, who could say how the industrial revolution would have ended?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:22 am
Zoutout
I thought it was the Tories and the Whigs, which I took to be Labour and Conservative.

Good old Tories, were it not for Earl Grey, who could say how the industrial revolution would have ended?

Tories, Whigs and Liberals. I thought there were three.

The liberals however dissolved at some point. I imagine most of them joined the Tories.

Invictus_88
Captain

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:09 am
Invictus_88
Zoutout

Tories, Whigs and Liberals. I thought there were three.

The liberals however dissolved at some point. I imagine most of them joined the Tories.

Ah. I clearly don't know my history of British politics.
Didn't all their policies completely change, though, so really there's next to no correspondence with the parties today?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:25 am
Hm, still traditional links.

Tories/Conservatives = Landowners, middle-class, leaders of industry, reasonably well off, businessmen, sons of lords.

Whigs/Old Labour = Workers, proletariat, rebellious sons of lords.

Invictus_88
Captain

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:27 am
Invictus_88

Tories/Conservatives = Landowners, middle-class, leaders of industry, reasonably well off, businessmen, sons of lords.

Oh, right. I thought that the Tories used to be lefties in days gone by; but, yet again, I stand corrected.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:02 am
whapcapn
Invictus_88

Oh, right. I thought that the Tories used to be lefties in days gone by; but, yet again, I stand corrected.

Not lefties, but liberals. In many ways they still are.  

Invictus_88
Captain

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:42 pm
Invictus_88
whapcapn
Invictus_88

Not lefties, but liberals. In many ways they still are.

Surely liberal and left-wing are pretty much the same thing?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:53 pm
All I have to say on this topic is this -

Invi, my dear man, do you remember what the Tories did when they were in government last? LABOUR is better news than the Tories, kthx.  

Gaulia

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:16 pm
Invi, the Liberal party became the Lib-Dems when it merged with the Social Democrats. Unhappy Liberals formed a new Liberal Party; they did not become Tory overnight... that would be against their beliefs.

Liberal Party: http://www.liberal.org.uk/

Whapcapn, "liberal" in this sense refers to classic liberalism: as little government intervention as possible. For the record, "left-wing" is a misleading term; there are at least two political axes in which one can be left-wing: economic and social. Oh, and the Labour Party, at its core, has nothing to do with the older parties... it was formed at the turn of the 20th Century to represent the common man via trade union reps (and it would seem that it supplanted the Liberals during the First World War).

Erix, that was the Liberal Party.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:07 am
I'm still undecided as to wether to do a vote of no-confidence or vote lib-dem.

I don't trust a party who's leader would lie to his own party members aswell as the population as a whole, and frankly the thought of the conservatives taking control of the economy terrorfies me. Ideally I would like a complete overhaul of the entire system, providing us with far more options (we call our selves a democracy, when we make one decision from two choices once every four years!).

____

We currently have higher emigration from this country than immigration. The population is ageing, and choosing to have children at an older age, and its the young ones who are running off to sunnier climates. So we need more immigration, before we end up with the kind of crisis that we had in th1960's.  

Lizbeth_r9

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:26 am
Lizbeth_r9
I'm still undecided as to wether to do a vote of no-confidence or vote lib-dem.

I don't trust a party who's leader would lie to his own party members aswell as the population as a whole, and frankly the thought of the conservatives taking control of the economy terrorfies me. Ideally I would like a complete overhaul of the entire system, providing us with far more options (we call our selves a democracy, when we make one decision from two choices once every four years!).

____

We currently have higher emigration from this country than immigration. The population is ageing, and choosing to have children at an older age, and its the young ones who are running off to sunnier climates. So we need more immigration, before we end up with the kind of crisis that we had in th1960's.

I don't believe Tony Blair lied to the nation. I think he acted in good faith; only as it happens he was wholly misguided. I'm not doubtful of his integrity, just of his judgement.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:13 am
Gaulia
do you remember what the Tories did when they were in government last?

Didn't they spend their few terms cleaning up all the messes that the previous Labour government caused?  

Zoutout

and_solo_said

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:21 am
We need less immigration, but we should only let in the ones we need  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:47 am
whapcapn
I don't believe Tony Blair lied to the nation. I think he acted in good faith; only as it happens he was wholly misguided. I'm not doubtful of his integrity, just of his judgement.

It was damn close to lying. Playing the 45minute claim like that, he should be voted out as soon as possible.  

Invictus_88
Captain

Nebelstern
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:50 am
Invictus_88
whapcapn

It was damn close to lying. Playing the 45minute claim like that, he should be voted out as soon as possible.

Yes, voted out or shot. Either would please me endlessly...  
The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games