Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Strawberries and Cream Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:38 pm
Sloe Gin, I know it well..

ninja  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:38 am
Quote:
Invictus_88

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:38 pm
Sloe Gin, I know it well..

icon_ninja.gif

Ah, I knew I'd spelt it wrong! I know it quite well too...*laughter*.. Best stuff ever is the sloe gin one can buy in Biarritz.. Soo good:p  

Emmanuela

ficklefiend
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:08 am
Emmanuela
In the autumn we go on wild blackberry hunts, often these include berries for Slow gin.. I think that's how you spell it....

Oh..I wouldn't even know what sloe gin berries look like. Although I do love the finshed product xd

We used to go on wild berry hunts too, for brambleberries. One year we collected a whole bunch and apples from our orchard* and made a massive apple and brambleberry pie. It was delicious and I felt like I had accidentally fallen into a Redwall book.

*yes, my dad used to own a house with an acre of victorian garden and an orchard. It was very dilapidated but that's really the most fun way for a garden to be, no? Oh man, we had the coolest tree house too..it had a slidey pole!  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:47 am
Quote:
ficklefiend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:08 am
Emmanuela Wrote:
In the autumn we go on wild blackberry hunts, often these include berries for Slow gin.. I think that's how you spell it....

Oh..I wouldn't even know what sloe gin berries look like. Although I do love the finshed product icon_xd.gif

We used to go on wild berry hunts too, for brambleberries. One year we collected a whole bunch and apples from our orchard* and made a massive apple and brambleberry pie. It was delicious and I felt like I had accidentally fallen into a Redwall book.

*yes, my dad used to own a house with an acre of victorian garden and an orchard. It was very dilapidated but that's really the most fun way for a garden to be, no? Oh man, we had the coolest tree house too..it had a slidey pole!

Oh, wow! You're so lucky to have an orchard! My mum wants us to move to a village down the road so she can have an orchard with chickens and stuff! Hehe, you read Redwall? I used to!  

Emmanuela

sallybeth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:36 pm
Strawberries and cream is brilliant although I have to agree with some others on this thread, raspberries are the undisputed king of tasty, British summer fruits.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:22 am
If raspberries are the kings, blackberries are the queens.  

Panthino the Moth

ficklefiend
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:08 am
Emmanuela

Oh, wow! You're so lucky to have an orchard! My mum wants us to move to a village down the road so she can have an orchard with chickens and stuff! Hehe, you read Redwall? I used to!

Alas, my dad moved out of that house a couple of years ago. It was fantastic, full of hedges and rhodedendrons and fruit trees.

The house had been on that site, obviously in various forms, for 600 years.

The only reason we could afford it was that it was just about falling down when we took it on. We had one bathroom where the floor was so slanted you actually used to slide off the toilet!

I also fell through the roof of that very bathroom once. The attic was getting new flooring and nobody told me. I jumped onto the roof boards of the bathroom and very swiftly the lack of floor became apparent.

Ah, fun fun. I read a whole heap of Redwall books over the space of maybe 2 years when I was 12-13. The Pearls of Lutra is still a favourite and I have the map on my wall. They had the best feasts in Redwall. I always wanted the honeyed chestnuts and hotroot shrimp soup!  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:06 pm
Panthino the Moth

And the sloes are the steely-eyed knights. Evil ones, mind you.  

Invictus_88
Captain

Emmanuela

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:39 pm
Quote:
ficklefiend

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:08 am
Emmanuela Wrote:

Alas, my dad moved out of that house a couple of years ago. It was fantastic, full of hedges and rhodedendrons and fruit trees.

The house had been on that site, obviously in various forms, for 600 years.

The only reason we could afford it was that it was just about falling down when we took it on. We had one bathroom where the floor was so slanted you actually used to slide off the toilet!

I also fell through the roof of that very bathroom once. The attic was getting new flooring and nobody told me. I jumped onto the roof boards of the bathroom and very swiftly the lack of floor became apparent.

Ah, fun fun. I read a whole heap of Redwall books over the space of maybe 2 years when I was 12-13. The Pearls of Lutra is still a favourite and I have the map on my wall. They had the best feasts in Redwall. I always wanted the honeyed chestnuts and hotroot shrimp soup!

Aw, shame! That sounds like such a cool house! My friend lives in an old farmhouse type thing, and it has this really long corridor that is totally slopped, it's so cool!

I think the first one of the Redwall books is my favorite, Martin the Warrior I think it is, though I also like the one where they go on the river trip... Or is that the same one? Hmmm... It's been years since I read them, I think it will be my summer project to re-read them all... I liked the badgers... the badgers were way cool....

Quote:
Invictus_88

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:06 pm
Panthino the Moth Wrote:

I think they're quite nice actually... I'm assuming this comes from a bad experience with a bottle of sloe gin? *raises eyebrow.. Yeah, just the one*  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:58 am
Emmanuela
I liked the badgers... the badgers were way cool....

Hmm..Brockhall or Salamandastron?

I liked it when they went all blood-lust, red eyes, killing everyone around them.

The hares were funny, well, until they got their own book. I didn't like the Long Patrol.

"Of course I'm a hare, what'd you think I was, a long-legged tadpole out for a bloomin' walk?"

Clecky the hare, after jumping around like a boxer, and hitting his nose on a low hanging branch:

"Did y'see that? Beastly foul play, sir! Low underpawed trickery! Sneakin' up on a chap like that! Highly unprincipled, deduct ten points, ten points I say, sir! "  

ficklefiend
Crew

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:38 am
Emmanuela
Invictus_88
Panthino the Moth

I think they're quite nice actually... I'm assuming this comes from a bad experience with a bottle of sloe gin? *raises eyebrow.. Yeah, just the one*

Ah, no actually. I was thinking of berries in their raw form.

Youthful child Invictus: "I say Daddy, what are those berries? Are they poisonous?"

FatherfromwhomIlatergotmyevilsenseofhumour: "Oh these? They're sloes, those things I put in Gin. They're quite nice.."

I: "Really?"

He: "Ohyes. Certainly." *swallows one* "Try one if you like.."

I, slave to my curiosity: "Hmm.." *pick* *chomp* "Aeurghghak!"

You can swallow them fine, but bit one raw and the juice is unbelievably dry, it pretty-much shrivels your mouth up. Still; I think it was funny, or rather...I did when I tried the same trick on my younger brother a few years afterwards.

twisted

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:54 am
Quote:
Invictus_88

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:38 am
Emmanuela Wrote:
Invictus_88 Wrote:
Panthino the Moth Wrote:

Ah, no actually. I was thinking of berries in their raw form.

Youthful child Invictus: "I say Daddy, what are those berries? Are they poisonous?"

FatherfromwhomIlatergotmyevilsenseofhumour: "Oh these? They're sloes, those things I put in Gin. They're quite nice.."

I: "Really?"

He: "Ohyes. Certainly." *swallows one* "Try one if you like.."

I, slave to my curiosity: "Hmm.." *pick* *chomp* "Aeurghghak!"

You can swallow them fine, but bit one raw and the juice is unbelievably dry, it pretty-much shrivels your mouth up. Still; I think it was funny, or rather...I did when I tried the same trick on my younger brother a few years afterwards.

icon_twisted.gif

Ehehe, good plan, my good sir! I think I'll have to try that on my sister. A few years ago we went on holiday and we were swimming in the sea which was really cold,

Sister: I'm really cold!
Me: Well if you stay really really still, you'll heat up the water around you to create a nice likee blanket of warm water.
Sister: Really (then proceeds to stay really really still)

Five minutes later..

Sister: I'm even more cold now!
Me: Ehehehe... Looser!

What's suprising though is that she's older then me, so one would have thought that she'd know better, but *sigh* evidently not!  

Emmanuela

Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces