Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.
what do you think of the Terri Schaivo situation? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you think of this whole mess?
I think they should leave her feeding tube out
46%
 46%  [ 6 ]
I think it's an immoral idea
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't know
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
This is the first I've heard of it, fill me in
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Who cares?
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 13

TheLoneBassist46

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:31 pm
Tsamikayu
I voted "I don't know" because I think it was a very personal family matter, and it should have stayed that way. Why all those Americans decided to poke their noses in I don't know. Self-righteous religious people deciding that it was a matter for God, I don't know. It just quite pissed me off that it was so publicised.

Sure, it's a valid debate, but debates should be left outside cases like this. All those people getting involved just made the experience all the more hard for the family. Personally I wouldn't want anyone campaigning for the life of one of my family members who they have never met.

The reason why it got publicised as much as it was, is because the parents of Terri wanted it to be publicised. They wanted to try and sway American people to support their side. The only people that should never have gotten involved is President Bush and the American legislature.
The parents had their right to go to court and fight the legal battle, but once the supreame court had ruled against the side of the parents, that's where it should have ended. The parents inevitably got political activists involved, and at that point it wasn't a fight for life, but a way for politicians to try and win a popularity contest. Terri ended up being a pawn in the game while other people in Terri's condition were completly neglected.

(Sorry if I got off topic a bit and if I made any spelling errors ^^)  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:48 am
Damn, just as the Shiavo rubbing finally leaves the news we'll be flooded with Popeness.

evil

MSN homepage suggested that I sign some sort of internet "book of condolence". What?! Why!? Who for exactly? Serously, what is the bloody point?

*rant ends*

Invictus_88
Captain

Zoutout

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:23 am
I think people are getting a bit overly emotional about the Pope.

I don't mean to be offensive, and I'm not Catholic, so forgive me.

Everyone dies. This Pope was due to die (and now has done)
The same thing will happen to the next Pope. Why offer condolonces to something that was bound to happen?

Now, someone being run over on a motorway, I can see that needing condolonces...

Aslo, as was said, who are we condoling? The bloke who's going to be the next Pope?  
The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games