Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Disturbing rumors and online imprinting Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Maze

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:46 am
I saw it and laughed. Sorry. xd

Are you referring to 'constructs' in the latter part of your post, FLO? They sound similar, at least. If I remember correctly, a construct is energy with programming. I'm not sure how valid psipog.net is as a source, I'll admit, but I recall reading about them there.

You could make energy balls (they call 'em psi balls there) and imprint them with a word, a feeling, a touch, or whatever.

Is that what you mean?  
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:51 am
i really didn't like that pic, and i can't say why...

hmm, as to the point...well, i'm sure you could 'charge' something with enough energy to make some sort of effect upon another person's psyche, yet in order to prove that, you wouldn't be able to influence them by telling them a backstory or offering feelings they might be having (do you feel happy, sad, angry, etc). you'd have to have pretty open-ended questions (what do you feel? what do you think? etc).

otherwise, it just becomes the mind seeing what it wants to see, sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy. if you ask them 'does this make you feel sad?', generally, a subject would attach that feeling to the picture and find something about it that makes them sad.  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

NoSuchCreature

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:36 pm
TeaDidikai

Of course it is possible. People do it all the time- some of us are just sane enough to use basic psychology over exerting any kind of emotional/psychic effort.... I mean.... no. It's not possible. I don't know what you are talking about.

Well, some of us just aren't so lucky and happen to get an ego-filling kick out of overelaborating something to death. ninja

@Maze, yes, it is. Such as if I were to exert some sort of focus on the picture in my sig in a way that would make virtually every person that viewed the image immediately tap into a feeling of, say, fearful reverence. >:3 (Sure, I could just build a reputation to where people would feel that way from past experience, but where's the fun in THAT?)

...hypothetically speaking, of course. ninja

@ Shadowwolf: I'm open to playing around with self-fulfilling reactions as well. 3nodding

I'm sure I could get a friend online and off to see if it can work.

I was also wondering about how seeing such an image online and seeing something like a physical drawing would differ, if they did at all.

EDIT: In fact, it might be interesting to run some sort of tests and surveys here, if at all possible.  
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:43 pm
Here's the other picture I mentioned: http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=17626

Beautiful, ne? It does convey a sense of sadness. I'd like to know who actually drew it.  

Collowrath

NoSuchCreature

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:09 pm
Romanus
Here's the other picture I mentioned: http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=17626

Beautiful, ne? It does convey a sense of sadness. I'd like to know who actually drew it.

Whoever did it is good. I would hope they're actually still making works of art. >>;

...*makes a note to kill his third-hand sources* >.<  
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:40 pm
Fluffy Little Octopus
TeaDidikai

Of course it is possible. People do it all the time- some of us are just sane enough to use basic psychology over exerting any kind of emotional/psychic effort.... I mean.... no. It's not possible. I don't know what you are talking about.

Well, some of us just aren't so lucky and happen to get an ego-filling kick out of overelaborating something to death. ninja

Are you implying something my fluffy little sushi nibblit?  

TeaDidikai

NoSuchCreature

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:44 pm
TeaDidikai
Fluffy Little Octopus
TeaDidikai

Towards myself, yes.

Because I'm an egotist. :3  
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:22 pm
Fluffy Little Octopus
TeaDidikai

Towards myself, yes.

Ah. Well, that's fine then. mrgreen  

TeaDidikai

NoSuchCreature

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:28 pm
TeaDidikai
Fluffy Little Octopus
TeaDidikai

Towards myself, yes.

Ah. Well, that's fine then. mrgreen

If there's a way of fixing the grammar in the sentence in question to where it can't be used to mean both of those things, I'd love to know it. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:38 pm
Fluffy Little Octopus

If there's a way of fixing the grammar in the sentence in question to where it can't be used to mean both of those things, I'd love to know it. sweatdrop
~resists urge to make snarky comment~

Isn't crap English wonderful?  

TeaDidikai

NoSuchCreature

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:52 pm
TeaDidikai
~resists urge to make snarky comment~

Isn't crap English wonderful?

~wonders if that refers to yet another error in my previous post...also wonders if this is all part of the basic psychological tinkering mentioned earlier~

One of these days, I'm going to have to fluently learn a new language, so whenever I screw up at English, I can just lie and say it's my secondary tongue (and I only hope "tongue" can be used synonomously. Oh Tea, you've pushed me right into another spiral of self-consciousness! xd )

So, would it be a faux pas for me to make a new thread to carry out an experiment on online constructs?  
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:00 am
Fluffy Little Octopus
~wonders if that refers to yet another error in my previous post...also wonders if this is all part of the basic psychological tinkering mentioned earlier~

One of these days, I'm going to have to fluently learn a new language, so whenever I screw up at English, I can just lie and say it's my secondary tongue (and I only hope "tongue" can be used synonomously. Oh Tea, you've pushed me right into another spiral of self-consciousness! xd )

So, would it be a faux pas for me to make a new thread to carry out an experiment on online constructs?

Crap English is what you get when not only can a phrase mean two things, but both can be applied in context.

As for the Chaos, Entropy and Disorder- my work here is done.

Kick up the new thread FLO.  

TeaDidikai

NoSuchCreature

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:03 am
TeaDidikai

Crap English is what you get when not only can a phrase mean two things, but both can be applied in context.

As for the Chaos, Entropy and Disorder- my work here is done.

Kick up the new thread FLO.

...Ohhh... sweatdrop

Much appreciated. For some reason, I actually enjoy the occasional trip into discord.

*Commences with the kicking*  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:43 am
OOOOh...*shiver* *twich*
This picture is...strange. Definately unsettling. I think it's mostly an optical illusion though...certain images can trip our brains to remember things, and I think this one screws with it completely. For me it's confusion, sadness, a little rage and envy. Total discomfort.
Either way, it's a creepy picture and definatly intreauging...I should try staring at it sometime.  

dragon6xx

Henry Dorsett Case

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:43 pm
I wonder if the unsettling feelings from those pictures might stem from the same idea as the Uncanny Valley. That something is so lifelike, without being alive, that it triggers a response in the viewer that it is somehow "unnatural". For example - particularly lifelike portraits of people have often been described as spooky, creepy, or otherworldly, while a photograph of the same person would just be shrugged off (unless it happened to be a particularly spooky person or photograph).

As to the changes in face one notices when staring into the portrait's eyes (the second, much less freakish one), it could be argued that it's an optical illusion - constructed the same way as many other illusions of its kind that leave the viewer with a faint sense of motion around the peripheral vision when their focus is turned to one point.

As far as constructs go...it's an interesting concept. I can't say I've had much non-fluffy experience with it (as in, I was the Bunny "making the construct"), but I'd be more than interested in the results of your experiments therein. I will say, though, that there's a very wonderful non-magical "construct" that I like to toy with myself: semantics. Careful word and phrase selection can confuse the unwitting reader into believing that you are saying something that you are not, and therefore throw their support behind something that they would not otherwise agree with. So if that works, who's to say that actual energies bound into a medium couldn't?

EDIT: Even stranger about the second picture - when I chose to focus on her lips instead of her eyes, her expression seemed (after "focus-warping" set in) to change to one of ladylike shock - the expression of a "proper Southern lady" being taken aback by something but expressing it daintily. That was the only description I had for it. Going to try to take some objective third and fourth looks later , again focusing away from the eyes, to see if I get any other interesting expressions out of her. Well, interesting to me at least.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff