Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Honour systems and "normal" interpersonal interactions. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:24 am
Starlock
Perhaps this is because one of my own tenants is to choose friends (and by friends I mean close friends, not aquaintences or people you casually have conversations with) carefully, because a friend that offends your Code will be very difficult to keep...

Even people who are close to one can screw them over.

Reagun's examples are wonderful.

My own involved the spiritual practices of my Phral that he swore an oath to discontinue, then broke leaving me stranded three hundred miles from home out in the woods with no food or water. (We'll just leave out everything that lead up to that)  
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:27 pm
missmagpie
Dragon_Witch_Woman
I'm not sure 'honour' code is the correct terminology for me, 'moral' code seems to fit better. My family has a very strong set of morals and I have lost friends over it. But I do not mourn these losses. As far as I or my family is concerned, if you could not fit into our morals, you were not worth being a friend in the first place. Example: a girl I knew invited me to spend the night with her and her boyfriend to celebrate they're new apartment, so I go over and we are watching movies, then he brings out weed. I ask to be taken home and have little, until evenually no contact with these people again. I'm not saying that if someone has ever done drugs at all that I won't be their friend, but if they are actively doing any kind of illegel substance, or involved in illegel activity, then no, I will not be around that person. Much of my family were/are military or work in correctional facilities.

Just on the flip side, I've been on the recieving end of something like this. I told my best friend I smoked in 8th grade because I thought enough of her not to want to hide anything from her. She thereafter refused to talk to me except for the short conversation in which she terminated our friendship. A couple months later I shared a joint with that very girl's older sister and I remember being so bitter. Of course it was ok if her own family did it, it just wasn't ok for me to. Malleable honor codes suck, especially if you're on the recieving end.
To me, thats hypocritical (sp?), unless she has also stemmed her relationship with her sister. Its not that I don't like the girl, or that I don't ever talk to her, but I will not traval in a car with her or her boyfriend. I don't need to be in the car when a cop pulls him over and finds weed in his car.  

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:46 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:44 pm
TeaDidikai
I gotta say Dragon, the more times I read that, the more my eyes cross.

Likely just because I don't apply Law as a moral code, and partly because the military and law enforcement parts of my family smoke.

I'm gonna pitch in here.
Witchcraft was illegal in Ireland until the 1990s.
Homosexuality was illegal in Ireland until the 80s, or was it the 90s.
Something being illegal is not basis for its being immoral.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:01 pm
reagun ban
TeaDidikai
I gotta say Dragon, the more times I read that, the more my eyes cross.

Likely just because I don't apply Law as a moral code, and partly because the military and law enforcement parts of my family smoke.

I'm gonna pitch in here.
Witchcraft was illegal in Ireland until the 1990s.
Homosexuality was illegal in Ireland until the 80s, or was it the 90s.
Something being illegal is not basis for its being immoral.

Without question on those points.

Blue Laws (the ones that are based upon specific Moral codes that are most commonly found in one large group together in YHVH's religions) are however Moral Laws. They just aren't my morals. Nor are they the morals of most of my friends. (Sorry, but my Sunday is mine to do with, no matter what.)

I can understand why Blue Laws could be a foundation for some pagans. It's not like paganism has a united moral code.

It's also not hard to see how someone could be a Lawful person and hold that as a moral structure.

I acknowledge my position is not uncommon, but.... meh.  
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:05 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:20 pm
Dragon_Witch_Woman
As a grounds for an ethical system, yes. Both of my parents are athiest, so thats what they go by (though I was raised Catholic for about the first six years of my life) and by no means is my family perfect. My mother was military, and before that, she has told us (me and my sister) yes, she did smoke weed, but before she got involved with anything harder, she stopped herself. I don't hate a person for smoking illegel substances, but I will not be around them if I know they have them. *is trying to make sence ^^()()()*
That does provide better context.

Not sure I would allow Civil Policy to break my loyalty to a friend, but to each their own.  
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:07 am
Anyway... *returns from veering off topic*
Every friend will have little things that piss you off but that you just live with because your friendship is worth more than that. It's when the things pissing you off start overriding your love of the person is when you need to sit down and talk things over, or even end the friendship if it comes to that. I have friends who don't smoke and don't like me smoking, but our friendship means more to them than the fact that I smoke so they live with it. Just how it pisses me off when certain friends of mine are late for everything but I'm not going to end our friendship over something that trivial.

Now when a certian ex-friend of mine attempts to date-rape my closest female friends and even admits to it when questioned, that's when I stop tolerating his presence.  

Pelta

Starlock

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:27 am
Damn... those are some pretty extreme examples. Guess I can safely say I haven't ever come into conflict with someone that severely in any recent memory. There's only one person in my life who I can say with relative confidence I'd never associate with again... but as much as I detest the person, I am nutoriously forgiving. Probably too forgiving for my own good. But I believe in giving people second chances. whee  
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:18 am
missmagpie
Now when a certian ex-friend of mine attempts to date-rape my closest female friends and even admits to it when questioned, that's when I stop tolerating his presence.

Poncy french wanna be b*****d ex-friend of yours by any chance?  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Pelta

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:45 am
reagun ban
missmagpie

Poncy french wanna be b*****d ex-friend of yours by any chance?

Yes actually. But I'm a terrible liar - I'm still in touch with him. I can be a little too forgiving at times too. sweatdrop

Luckily my friend Eoin hates him so much that if he comes anywhere near me again he's going directly to the police with everything he knows. And that's enough to keep him out of our hair for... oh, at least a couple years. It's friends like him that make it all worthwhile.

Starlock: You can make a lot of trouble for yourself by giving certain people too many second chances. Sometimes you really should have learned the first time... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:52 am
missmagpie
Yes actually. But I'm a terrible liar - I'm still in touch with him. I can be a little too forgiving at times too. sweatdrop

I can't.
He's a dead man next time I see him. Or maybe I'll tell Cap'n Carrot about him  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:15 am
Cap'n Carrot? ~blinks~ Huh.  
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:39 am
TeaDidikai
Cap'n Carrot? ~blinks~ Huh.

Captain Carrot is a reference to Corporal Nobby Nobbs in Discworld.
A friend of mine and Magpie is very like him in that he only sees the good in people. So we call him Cap'n Carrot.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Pelta

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:01 am
reagun ban
missmagpie

I can't.
He's a dead man next time I see him. Or maybe I'll tell Cap'n Carrot about him

Ummm... I think he already knows about him. Well, not everything. It would take a lot of research to find out everything about the Frenchman. I find out more about him every time I go to fibber's and find someone else who wants to kill him. blaugh But all is good. And Carrot's lovely. ninja  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff