Yes
  No :(
  poll whore (you suck)
View Results

Biker Mice from Mars-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:19 pm
Kyoko Toshi
King Of The Ska
Personally, I disagree with your idea to promote ska.

Now now, I am not an elitest or anything, but I think the best thing about ska is that only a few people are really really into it.

And speaking from expirence, when I first got into ska, it was great to find out different bands by myself.
So if we promote ska a lot, it kind of ruins the feeling of discovery
Like the best feeling in the world is finding a ska band you really like by yourself.

Maybe I'm just really ******** weird, but I don't think ska needs to be promoted.

We're all really ******** weird. We listen to ska. THAT'S NOT NORMAL! :O

I kinda agree. I love hearing people's reactions when they ask what kind of music I listen to. I wouldn't get that if it was popular and everyone knew what it was. But, then again, I wouldn't get asked "Who's a ska?" >_>;;
I third this opinion. it's a matter of quality over quantity. I'd rather there be a minority of hardcore skankers than a bunch of ppl who think, "I guess it's cool.." Not only are ska lovers weird, but gaians are weird too, so we're all doubly weird domokun  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:55 pm
NO!
It's like punk, the more the worse.
You want to keep it on a moderate level.
It's good others don't know about SKA.
It'll ruin the scene.  

The Real Conan

annerbelle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:17 pm
When I was younger and first got into punk, I loved being the one with the weird clothes and obnoxious music. Then one sad day, my town got a Hot Topic, and the fun was all over. I was the only one in my graduating class with a mohawk, but I got rid of it because they are now so common. I don't think I'd like to lose that fun element with ska.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:09 am
PyroBiker
Here are some banners you can put in your sig, in threads (please do not spam) Feel free to contribute. If you have any banners, I will add them, as long as you add a code to them.

I'm not sure how to link pictures on a BBS, so I put the link below the picture. Does anyone know how to link pictures? Thanks.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Click here to find out.

[img]http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/4417/ska13rt.png[/img]
[url=http://www.expage.com/skaformation]Click here to find out.[/url]

also, here are some links that might attract people to learn more about ska. Feel free to add more.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/ska
http://www.expage.com/skaformation

ive got it posted on my profile  

xdemonicallyxyours13x

Skaified

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:13 pm
I agree with King of Ska, the less the merrier. x] I make some of my friends listen to Ska but not all of them. I live in the boonies, so no live shows for me. x] All I gots is old Mad Caddies, and Five Iron Frenzy CDs in this one place. ;o But if TOO many people heard about Ska it would ruin the scene. And then people would have like mass comercialization. And then people who think they're cool by buying checkered clothing like Vans, would be "Hip." gonk  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:35 am
When I was 10 I got into punk and I thought it was the greatest thing because it was raw but still spread the unity. When I went to shows I knew almost every person's name from them talking to me or me talking to them. As more people came it felt like people didn't want to look at you let alone talk to you and that's what ruined it for me. That's when I started getting into ska.

sorry about my life story

It's just that I'm starting to seem like that with ska scene. It is maddening because you're trying to make friends, but all you're getting is a brick wall.  

NoFingersMcKenzi

Spiral Tuboflex

Feline Worshipper

26,950 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Olympian 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:23 pm
I don't want to promote ska.
I don't want it to become that genre of music where everyone wears the t-shirts because they're bitchin' awesome rather than because they like the music.

Plus I have this checkered skirt that I can't wear yet because it doesn't fit me.
So I have to wear that before ska goes mainstream xd  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:10 pm
It's wierd with me. I like Ska. I listen to it on a daily basis.

When I think about spreading the word... it kinda bothers me.

If I spread the word, then people will tell people and soon it will become popular. So much so that people who don't even like it would listen to it just to fit in. and to me Ska is sorta of representing the wierder things in life, while not trying to impress people.

Sorry, I'm rambling sweatdrop  

Cheesette

Eloquent Sex Symbol

Sollariz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:04 am
maybe the fad, but the music is definatly not dying. i like spreading the joy of music to anyone who is interested, but i don't advertise shmit...no one's paying for that . if they're interested, i play my friends a couple of the old proverbial root stuff like augustus pablo or the skatilites. their usually like, "what language is that?" and i have to play translator. the funniest thing was when one of them were like, "i learned a new word, 'a-femipanti!'" rofl .  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:40 pm
ouu ill put that what is ska in my signature! haha good idea  

Chekur

McHuggies

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:39 pm
I agree with the latter part of the people in this.

Listening to Ska is like being a treasure hunter.
And finding a new kick a** band, or meeting a fellow skankster, is the gold that fills the proverbial chest.

I think it's funny that having to explain what ska is over and over, pisses me off, but also makes me feel like part of an exclusive club.
Plus.
I'm so used to people being like "punk sucks" that when they don't know what ska is, they can't say it sucks without proving they're an idiot.

Of course, it's also awesome to introduce ska to someone and they fall in love with it.
I think it's best to spread it, but only to those who'd appreciate it... I'm just not sure how you'd know if they'd love it or not whee  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:12 pm
dont spread ska cuz then it gives te scenesters anoher reason to call people posers.....  

Don Caballero

PnkSktchr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:00 pm
Kyoko Toshi
But ska IS dead.

Excuse me? I don't know what you're thinking, but Ska is NOT dead. It is alive and well.

It's alive in the hearts of Rudies everywhere.
It's in the hearts and souls of local Ska bands that STICK TO THE GENRE, instead of selling out.

It's still alive, though it might not be as popular anymore. But ******** that!!! I'm trying to get the word of Ska around.

No, I'm not trying to get people to dress like it or just plain think it's cool. I "preach" to people about the message of Ska.

I say that's it's completely against racism, positive, fun, and upbeat. I tell people the TRUE meaning of two-tone, and that it symbolizes something, and is not just a fashion style.

So you may think Ska's dead, but take a close deep look, and you'll notice it's still alive, and I'm loving it all the way!!  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:55 pm
PEOPLE ARE STUPID.
it doesn't matter whether you promote it or not.
people have bad taste and the majority wont like it.

and if they DO itll be a "like" like.
As in they only like it because it's popular.
i hate s**t like that. when you like a really good band and they get all popular because the indie scene is all the rage.

the world is full of mindless sheep.

ba-a-a  

Indierockska

a white shadow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:25 pm
I'm sure it'd be a great uproar to all the rudies out there if ska ever DID go mainstream.
Personally, I don't think it's such a great idea to spead the word. I mean, not to say it shouldn't be done at all.. I've introduced at least four or five people already.
but they were people I was sure they weren't doing it because it's "cool" or whatev.. y'know what I mean?  
Rude Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff