Reply Rude Discussion
How/When did you get into ska? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DaneCrystane

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:06 pm
I got in to Ska because of Baseketball. I saw Reel Big fish playing and was like "wow thats awesome" so i ran out the next day and bought a cd, then another, and another until i had all of theirs and started seeping into other bands. Reel Big Fish are still my fav to this day though.  
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:53 am
About a year ago.
One of my friends showed it to me.
blaugh  

sativa shiva

Five Iron Frenzied

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 4:17 pm
I got into it the first time I heard Five Iron Frenzy.  
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:15 am
My dad introduced me to ska when i was a kid...all he ever used to play in the car or at home was ska, reggae/dub....so...i probably started listening to it when i was like...6 or something, lol  

ll llchas_smashll ll

Noriko_Mimura

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:36 am
I think it was in 6th grade (3 years ago-ish).... and my friend would sing "Oh, Canada"... pretty soon we all got into it, and would sing it on the bus. Then when I was at Best Buy with my mom and brother, I wanted to buy a FIF CD. My brother asked who they were, and I told him they were a ska band. He said, "Oh, well if you want to listen to some really good ska, you should try Reel Big Fish" ...And I became addicted to Cheer Up. And there was a stalemate in which my interest in ska was basically just RBF, then there was a little LTJ, a lot of Sublime, a lot of Aquabats, a little of The Specials, some Mighty Mighty Bosstones... Um.. Basically, my knowledge of the subject increased quite a lot.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:32 pm
i picked up an op ivy cd from my local cd store cuz i'd heard on purevolume that they were pretty awesome.
so i listened to them, then my friend showed me the aquabats' purevolume page and i fell in love.
she told me it was ska, so i started going to www.turnuptheska.com
and i found out that this kid (now one of my closer friends) in band was into ska, and, to make a long story short, he's contributed to about 70% of the cds i own today.  

Asthen

Electric Uncle Akuma

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:54 pm
My brother used to have this Aquabats sticker from, I don't know where.
But he had their first CD, and I listened to it with him when I was like 8 or 9, and that's really when I first heard Ska. It was like an exclusive thing for 3 years-ish, and completely last year.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:54 pm
my sister's ex-boyfriend took me to a mustard plug concert 6 years ago and i've been listenning to ska ever since.  

NoFingersMcKenzi

UreshiiNyoko

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:05 pm
I've always walked in my sisters footsteps when it came to music. I was 8 and walking by and I heard some pretty good music. It was happy! Eventully I asked my sister what it was. Yes, Indeed, it was ska. She let me borrow the CD (Why do they Rock So Hard - RBF) only if I promised not to listen past the 3rd song (too much cursing).... so of course I skipped right to the fourth and listened all the way through. I lost interest because she only had one CD and you can only listen so many times before you want to through it at the wall.

Fast foward 6 years: I'm 14 and had never been to a show. my friend Sean says "hey Ariel, lets go to a concert. you like reel big Fish?" my mind flipped back to times of singing "somebody hates me" and voila. A ska girl was born!

Ska virginity- Reel Big Fish
Show virginity- Reel Big Fish  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:35 pm
Last June when I was in Iowa, my cousin was driving me around in his car and he put in a cd which was
"the end is near" by five iron frenzy
im like wow i like them and hes like ok ill burn you all of their cd's i have.
which was about 7 so thats howi heard about ska. and now i just love ska  

Elleyea

3,200 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Window Shopper 100

SkIPpY_KnIVeS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:57 pm
probably about a year, maybe a year and a half  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:01 pm
so uhhh about 4 or 5 years ago I heard Polysics on one of the Japan For Sale comps.... after that I went on Amazon, and bought their album Hey!Bob!My Friend! along with a couple other Japanese cds. realising that it had been released on the U.S. label Asian Man Records (greatest label ever) and started buying stuff from them. Thus I started listening to Ska.  

DarkVice

GIoom
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:57 pm
Well I was 16 (I'm 19 now). I heard a few ska songs beforehand, but I didn't know what ska was really. Then a guy I knew played a ska song, he asked me if I liked ska. I told him I didn't know what it was. He explained it. I started by buying a few cds, and I got more and more into it. Now I got a good collection of cds. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:54 pm
DaneCrystane
I got in to Ska because of Baseketball. I saw Reel Big fish playing and was like "wow thats awesome" so i ran out the next day and bought a cd, then another, and another until i had all of theirs and started seeping into other bands. Reel Big Fish are still my fav to this day though.

Heh, same here. I got ttro and wdtrsh very soon after I first saw that movie. One time when I was stoned I sat around thinking about how much that movie changed my life...  

twoshoes42

ScornX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:39 pm
i grew up on ska like the specials and catch 22 and skatlites so yah for ever  
Rude Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items