Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Recipes & Cooking Tips
Veg*n Friendly Restaurants Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you have any veg*n friendly restaurants where you live?
  Yeah, I have no problem finding a place around here.
  Yes, but only a few.
  Just 1
  There are none.
View Results

Juni chan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:35 pm
I want to start a restaurant/grocery store called Veg-table. In part of the store you could buy some "fast-food"-ish vegan meals, and in the other part you could do some grocery shopping. 3nodding

Whole Foods Market is an amazing place to grocery shop. Hugo's is a really good restaurant that's kind of artsy and has a lot of vegan stuff, but I don't know if it's just local. Islands is another good restaurant where you can substitute a grain patty in any of their burgers.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:38 pm
if you live on the west coast hit up taco del mar
they have a lot of veg choices and even have vegan burritos etc
the refried beans are veg also
my dad owns a couple, so i know this for sure lol  

David Gilmour

mimmcie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:01 am
crying There are no veg resturants where I live. So if I want to go out to eat. I have to travel about an hour out of town to get to a veg resturant. sad So I just stay home and follow my own yummy recipes. biggrin  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:49 am
I'm extremely pissed off. Most of those trendy, sit-down-meal places like Red Robin, Bennigans, etc, offer the "switch out the meat for a veggie patty" deal, but in the last month or so, TGI Friday's and assorted others have stopped! Now they're down to having only one or two veggie-friendly menu items, and veg*ns can just forget it. I ended up having to eat the spinach-artichoke dip appetizer for dinner at one restaraunt, the b*st*rds! scream  

ANGORAPHOBIA

Famicommie
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:34 am
When I'm busy and on the go, and have to get some fast food (blech), I usually go to Taco Bell. Why? Because in any of their meals, you're able to substitute the meat with beans. I doubt the beans are vegetarian, but sometimes you have to eat.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:47 am
Speaking of resturants that are not vegetarian or vegan friendly....

The would have to be the pizza place I like to order from...

I'm vegetarian so I can get a cheese pizza, or a calzone with cheese and veggies inside... but seriously if you try to order a veggie sub.... it costs as much as a meat sub but it just doesn't have meat in it! So basically I have to pay for the meat even though I'm not eating it. Besides being inconsiderate to people who don't eat meat... its also overcharging for lettuce, tomato, onions, cheese and green peppers on a roll. If I want pickles or anything else it costs extra.

So I told the person, no way and just ordered some fries.

I tell you its just irritating when you go to a resturant and everything has meat in it or they overcharge you for the vegetarian version of one of their items.

And don't even get me started on this other resturant... where the only thing I can eat on the menu are grilled cheese, the salads, and the french onion soup. Would it kill them to have some boca burgers on hand? Heck they last forever in the freezer.

All in all if your veggie where I live you'll have a difficult time... if you're vegan... forget it you'll go hungry.  

AngelSong0

spacekitten

Sparkly Cutie-Pie

15,350 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:45 am
AngelSong0
Speaking of resturants that are not vegetarian or vegan friendly....

The would have to be the pizza place I like to order from...

I'm vegetarian so I can get a cheese pizza, or a calzone with cheese and veggies inside... but seriously if you try to order a veggie sub.... it costs as much as a meat sub but it just doesn't have meat in it! So basically I have to pay for the meat even though I'm not eating it. Besides being inconsiderate to people who don't eat meat... its also overcharging for lettuce, tomato, onions, cheese and green peppers on a roll. If I want pickles or anything else it costs extra.

So I told the person, no way and just ordered some fries.

I tell you its just irritating when you go to a resturant and everything has meat in it or they overcharge you for the vegetarian version of one of their items.

And don't even get me started on this other resturant... where the only thing I can eat on the menu are grilled cheese, the salads, and the french onion soup. Would it kill them to have some boca burgers on hand? Heck they last forever in the freezer.

All in all if your veggie where I live you'll have a difficult time... if you're vegan... forget it you'll go hungry.

You have to be extra-careful with pizza places. I mean, pizza sauce is always vegan, but some of the younger/poorer restaurants will cook their meatballs in the same marinara sauce they serve with various sides.

And yeah, a lot of places will try to overcharge you for just the same meal, but without the meat. Thats why you have to ask what specifically is on the veg sub, if its not described on the menu.

PS - French onion soup traditionally has a beef stock base. Not all places still use it, but you should double check.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:47 am
Famicommie
When I'm busy and on the go, and have to get some fast food (blech), I usually go to Taco Bell. Why? Because in any of their meals, you're able to substitute the meat with beans. I doubt the beans are vegetarian, but sometimes you have to eat.

I asked a Taco Bell manager, and she said that their beans are vegetarian, but they might have some milk or cheese in them. So... I trust her, but I don't know if she knew or just wanted to sell some more stuff.  

spacekitten

Sparkly Cutie-Pie

15,350 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Protector of Cuteness 150

DreamerSpirit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:31 am
In my city I never seem to have a problem finding veg-friendly eateries.

The city I live in is a big mealting pot/immigrant city, so there are TONS of ethnic restraunts around, many of which carry vegetarian-friendly, and even vegan-friendly items. Sure, at a lot of restraunts I would pretty much be confined to salad, but at other places there are multiple options. There's actually one Asian restraunt in my city that has a purely vegan menu, and it's really tasty (thier fake seafood tastes real!).

Also, if anyone lives in/is travelling to Massachusetts and needs to know of veg-friendly places to eat, I know quite a few throughout the state, so if ya just send me a PM I can hook you up with decent fare. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:26 pm
missyone
A dream for me is to open up a "Fast-food" resturant with a menu that is all Vegetarian! I am sick and tired of going to a resturant and having only the salad portion to order from, not to mention having to describe everything I want removed.

Yeah, I'd like to do that too. smile Or just a regular resturant.

I live right in the middle of meat country, so theres like NOTHING.. :O  

LETS DO THE MARIO!!

dagon is a gloomy bear

Lonely Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:15 pm
I'm really glad I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada. We're pretty left wing and all that over here so there's tons of vegetarian restaurants springing up and people are a little more used to being asked for vegetarian stuff. Finding vegan food can be a little more difficult but I imagine there are still comparatively a lot of vegan oriented restaurants here.

Oh, and if you're vegan, BEWARE EVERY SAUCE in a Japanese restaurant, that includes the salad dressing. Bonito and other seaood will sneak into everything. lol (And tempura is made with egg - the batter.) I just wish I could find a place that makes agedashi tofu with no FISH JUICE.
Ahem. >_>"  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:04 am
I live in Houston, AKA beef city, so it's really hard to find a good restaurant for a vegetarian. Luckily, there are a lot of Asian restaurants.

Plus, a Johnny Rocket's was built not too far from my house, & they serve Boca burgers. Score one for the veg*ns. :]

pinkcatminht

Whip It Out!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:52 pm
I live about 45 minutes from it, but Portland, Oregon has an -awesome- choice of vegan and vegetarian friendly places. Laughing Planet is a foodgasm! The Chaiman Meow bowl is delicious! All veggies and pearl rice and peanut sauce, yum! It's all vegan too. What I like is that it caters to everyone. If people want meat, you can ask for chicken or turkey to be added in at very little cost. You can a burrito on a Burrito Grande size tortilla for about 5 bucks. It's -huge-. Everything is so good and delicious. And you can tell that the workers love working there, so it's a really relaxed happy atmosphere too. The one on Mississippi has Godzilla action figures all over xD Godzilla and robots and a ginormo velvet poster of Frank Zappa.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:40 am
I went out to dinner last night to TGIF and they had ONE THING on their ENTIRE [entree] MENU that was vegetarian / meatless. I had mashed potatoes for dinner. >____>  

[ theoretic martyr ]

we are rain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:34 pm
Where I live we don't have a single vegan friendly restraunt....

We have some that have a few veggie options if you look super hard and ask them to remove alot....  
Recipes & Cooking Tips

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff