Would you....
  Tone it Down
  Stay the Same
View Results

Sisemen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:03 pm
No...This is who I am!  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:48 pm
Personaly I would stay the same because saying the children will be like me to make me proud or be just like me is wrong. I dont know to many goths that were raised by goths, I mean my mother and whole family for that matter is full of preps yet I for one am not, I'm the gothic lesbo so thats why I would just be me.  

kayla1234098

ketchakik

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:34 pm
i haven't really changed for my son...well i do moderate what i watch, listen to, or play around him but that's mostly for violence or cussing (neither of wich i'm a big fan of but...it's in so much stuff)
as far as dressing, he sees me walking around in my bondage pants, my collar (he even wears it some times) and what not all the time.
musically, he's already developed odd tastes for five year old....he likes johnny cash, the ramones, as i lay dying, and some emo sad  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:37 pm
Personally I think the world could use more gothy kids. If I ever have kids, of course I'd let them choose what they want to wear (within reason - like no spiked collars or anything containing offensive language) but probably the first few years of their lives, they'd be dressed much like me. Maybe not all the time, because I think I'd like them to have a chance to dress all cute too. As they got older, I'd let them choose more. I mean look at it this way - "normalcy" was imposed on a lot of us... we still found gothiness. I think raising child goth-positive will actually encourage them to be who they want to be - have a positive self image, because they have parent(s) who are confident about being themselves.

Style of dress, to me, is secondary to teaching kids things like manners, politeness, interpersonal skills, sharing, caring, and so on 3nodding  

trampyre

Kohanna13

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:16 pm
I'm not planning to have kids but I suppose I'd be careful of what I watch/listen to in front of them (imagine the nursery calling me to say my kids singing 'Your mother sucks c.ocks in hell xd ) I'd probably dress the same. My Little cousin (about a few weeks old) I was minding her with my mate, sick of the pop channels we put on for her and her siblings (they went to my grandparents stare ) I put on a rock/metal channel. Rob Zombie came on and she started to throw horns and tap her foot to the beat!! 4laugh  
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:34 pm
I'm staying the same. Everybody says "Goth" is a phase. ******** that. Death for life. Who's with me?  

MediaclCunt

MEOWITSTERRA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:41 pm
I would hide all the swords, but I would not change myself.
But then, I have no clue what I would teach my kid. I don't even want to go anywhere near religion when I raise my child. But I know other people won't leave it alone.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:58 am
I wouldn't hide the weapons - if I decided to hide weapons from my kids, I'd end up practicing at very odd hours so they wouldn't see. I'd just make sure they were placed high on the walls when not in use, well out of the reach of children, and with no furniture they could climb to get to it nearby. I'd also probably put them up in my own study, so whilst not hidden, hopefully out of sight and out of mind. I'd also tell them that they're too young, but that if they're still interested, I'll go buy them their own set when their older. Or maybe I'll see if I can find a set of small practice nunchaku for them to play with, then they can practice with me. smile  

Slayer Igraine

Simim

5,750 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:46 pm
I'm not sure if I want kiddoes or not. Part of me says "nuuuu not babies, the pain, the commitment!!" But the other half of me goes "I want them just because it's one of those experiences I might want to partake in."

Either way, I'm not having one for at LEAST another decade.

But, if I do have kids, I don't think my fashion tastes are the thing I'd have to tone down, in the least. I'm an occult-obsessed, ********, pro-anarchy, moshing, chaos-bringing, androgynous, pansexual chick who believes themself to be a demon incarnate, nevermind the tendency to wear dark clothing, neon colors, spikes, chains, and loads of jewelry/tattoos.

I'd have to tone down my beliefs, I think. I'd need to teach my kid not to discriminate, even though I know I do, and I know I like to sometimes. I'd need to make sure that if they *are* going to discriminate, that they have valid reasons for doing so(I.e. discriminating against rapists vs. discriminating against black people). I'd have to tone down my religious beliefs/disbeliefs so they can form their own.

I mean, one big fear of mine is this: Ok, so some/most kids hit puberty and rebel against their parents by doing everything they don't want them to do. So, what if my kid, trying to rebel against me, becomes, for lack of better words, a "prep"? What if they start conforming with everyone else to rebel against me? gonk

It's like, the reverse of most situations with parents. XD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:23 am
I would stick with the way I look. There would be probs with being goth and haveing kids, such as DHS and schools. Haveing your child growing up and wanting to be like there perints would bring up probs of them being judged at school and prob wont have many friends. Alot of ppl go thrue that phace anyways so it will only make them a stronger person in the end. As for weapons I would keep them locked up so the kids couldint get to them but to keep the family safe and all I think it is wise to keep a shotgun around. With the way things are going right now in the US, alot of ppl are getting very desprit. But all in all I dont think being goth would hurt the kid any more than it would be bye the rest of the world right now.  

Spike23080

Ms Dahl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:38 pm
I do plan on being married and having children one day. I wouldn't tone down my look. Although, I don't believe in dressing little children in all black. I read somewhere that color plays an important part in the early development of children. I wouldn't want to inhibit that in anyway. Plus, it seems a bit over the top to me. I also would want my children to be who they are and not impose my personality on them.

I'm not into weapons and such so that wouldn't be a problem. I would refrain from playing my musical favorites and movies that include cussing and/or adult concepts in front of my children. The same goes for literature and graphic novels.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:24 am
When I have kids, I will probably tone down how I dress a bit.
I know from babysitting that it isn't a good idea to be playing with kids in a corset.
And I would probably dress my child similar to myself (personally, I hope for a girl).

And Ms Dahl, I heard that if you expose your child to a certain marketed idea of childhood normality, such as little girls all in pink or little boys and video games, that they'll be addicted to buying those things.
A little girl would want anything pink, just because that's how she was raised.

But sometimes it doesn't turn out that way, I'm an example.
I played with Barbies when I was little and my room was painted a blinding pink. And now I enjoy mutated and amputated teddy bears and dark rooms. biggrin  

LaceyBones

Ms Dahl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:17 pm
LaceyBones
I know from babysitting that it isn't a good idea to be playing with kids in a corset.
And I would probably dress my child similar to myself (personally, I hope for a girl).

And Ms Dahl, I heard that if you expose your child to a certain marketed idea of childhood normality, such as little girls all in pink or little boys and video games, that they'll be addicted to buying those things.

I played with Barbies when I was little and my room was painted a blinding pink. And now I enjoy mutated and amputated teddy bears and dark rooms. biggrin

Unless someone hides their children in a cave for the first five years of their life it's hard not to expose children to mainstream societies outlook on normality. Kids are very perceptive. Especially after going to school with other children their age. Their Mommy may look like Morticia but unless that's acceptable by their peers they'll probably end up wanting to wear what's in with the other kids. I've seen this happen with my niece. She hates vampires but only started liking Twilight because the girls at her school all like it (she's 8 by the way).

Most of the children of Goth parents that I've seen usually end up going the opposite way of their parents.

I do agree there are exceptions out there. I'm sure many could attest to that. smile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:59 pm
Ms Dahl
LaceyBones

Unless someone hides their children in a cave for the first five years of their life it's hard not to expose children to mainstream societies outlook on normality. Kids are very perceptive. Especially after going to school with other children their age. Their Mommy may look like Morticia but unless that's acceptable by their peers they'll probably end up wanting to wear what's in with the other kids. I've seen this happen with my niece. She hates vampires but only started liking Twilight because the girls at her school all like it (she's 8 by the way).

Most of the children of Goth parents that I've seen usually end up going the opposite way of their parents.

I do agree there are exceptions out there. I'm sure many could attest to that. smile

My word, isn't Twilight a bit too adult for an eight year old?

But, children of gothic parents usually end more open minded then most children with 'normal' parents.  

LaceyBones

Ms Dahl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:32 pm
Yes, it is. She hasn't even read it (which she literal can't because it's far too advanced). -___-;

I certainly hope so. But you never know. I've met a few racist Goths. Ironic? Yes, very much so.  
Extended Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff