Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Great All Round Idiots, Prats and Fools Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

and_solo_said

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:41 am
I have heard a number of Americans refer to us as 'Britishers'.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:11 am
http://www.britishers.com/

confused  

Invictus_88
Captain

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:13 am
and_solo_said
I have heard a number of Americans refer to us as 'Britishers'.

That only works when shouted over no-man's land by a shellshocked hun.

ninja

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:10 am
Britishers... rofl

I don't think I've ever referred to anyone as an actual Briton before, I've always used "British". As in, "He's British" as opposed to "He's a Briton." I'm not sure if I learned something new today or not. It could have been one of those things I knew but never thought about or maybe I just didn't know it.

Now I'm curious how many Americans use the term "Canuck" for us Canucks because they don't know that we can be referred to as Canadian...

EDIT: Eureka! I have solved it! I use the more colloquial "Brits" as opposed to "Britons"!  

Trish the Stalker

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:50 am
Does Canuck actually mean Canadian? Or is it one of those misapplied words like using Yanks for any American?

confused

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:14 am
Invictus_88
Does Canuck actually mean Canadian? Or is it one of those misapplied words like using Yanks for any American?

confused

I've heard several other terms applied to Americans as a group...'Yank' is probably the safest/least offensive one XD  

illyrianth
Vice Captain

Trish the Stalker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:41 pm
I do believe Canuck is to Canadian as Yank is to American. Only we Canucks openly embrace our bizarre label, whilst I don't think a single Yank has ever actually referred to him/herself as a Yank.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:50 am
I'm sure that Southern Americans refer to Northern Americans as yanks. They don't consider themselves a group as a whole to be yanks.  

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

dExtrosien

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:02 pm
Cuddle-fish
I will take your argument of evolution and advancement and apply it to nations. Clearly, the United States is superior to Britian. I mean, the U.S. has ivented more, is more powerful, more wealthy, has contributed more to the world, has a better justice system, and better hygiege. Plus, we haven't been around as long.

This doesn't even make any sense. Their reasons are completely ignorant and don't carry any real weight. Some people are true idiots.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:05 pm
Foetus In Fetu
I'm sure that Southern Americans refer to Northern Americans as yanks. They don't consider themselves a group as a whole to be yanks.

That fits me. I'm very proud of being a Southerner. From what I can quite a number of my relatives came straight to Virginia and stayed here ever since (including the ones that came from Britain). I do find myself calling people from the north yanks or yankees actually. I generally only do that if they are behaving in a stupid manner though. I do understand the term yank being applied to all Americans though and wouldn't take any offense.  

dExtrosien

Dark Pieman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:12 pm
Invictus_88
Cuddle-fish
I will take your argument of evolution and advancement and apply it to nations. Clearly, the United States is superior to Britian. I mean, the U.S. has ivented more, is more powerful, more wealthy, has contributed more to the world, has a better justice system, and better hygiege. Plus, we haven't been around as long.

rolleyes

Hehehe. Nice.  
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:46 am
The non deviant Wrote:
GOD created women from Adam`s rib-bone.Therefore they are not human, but rather of some form of inferior animal-race, why do they have "human" rights?

just as Man was created to serve and worship GOD, women were created from man in order to serve man and bear children!

ahhh, the "love of god"....  

wodewose

wodewose

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:50 am
dExtrosien
Foetus In Fetu

That fits me. I'm very proud of being a Southerner. From what I can quite a number of my relatives came straight to Virginia and stayed here ever since (including the ones that came from Britain). I do find myself calling people from the north yanks or yankees actually. I generally only do that if they are behaving in a stupid manner though. I do understand the term yank being applied to all Americans though and wouldn't take any offense.

whreabouts in Va?
My wife used to live in the Hampton Roads area.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:33 am
Quote:
wodewose

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:46 am
The non deviant Wrote:
GOD created women from Adam`s rib-bone.Therefore they are not human, but rather of some form of inferior animal-race, why do they have "human" rights?

just as Man was created to serve and worship GOD, women were created from man in order to serve man and bear children!

ahhh, the "love of god"....

*attempts to take out contact lenses... Damn, I can still see* Yes the 'love of God'... It really makes me wonder what happened to these people so that they believe this (CENSORED). So, if this (CENSORED) is right, then- No, I won't say that, it may anger the superior race that is man... Does this guy hate his mother or something? *sigh* What a sad sad world we live in today.. and I just had a really good point, but I've now forgotten it>.< *attempts to take contact lenses out again...*  

Emmanuela

Emmanuela

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:34 am
Oh, yeah, is that Britishers site a joke... I mean... Britishers? *falls off chair in laughter*  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff