Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild
What are your Pet Peeves in yaoi? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 16 17 18 19 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Iciak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:00 am
I agree with most of the points made above, so I'll try not to repeat what has already been said. Some other little things that annoy me in BL:

1) Cooking scenes. Of course, preparing food and eating are an essential part of human existence, but I'm fed up with cooking as a plot device, because it's vastly overused.

2) Ukes who blush too much. I don't mind if both characters, for example high school boys who have only just discovered that they like someone of the same gender, feel and act awkward around each other, but a cool seme-in-control + a clumsy blushy uke is a combination that makes me utterly sick.

3) Outrageous height disproportions. It's a widely accepted rule that in most cases the seme should be taller than the uke, and I certainly don't have a problem with that, but when one of the characters is 2 metres tall and has broad shoulders, whereas the other one looks like a fragile middle school student, I can't help but roll my eyes at such a couple. It gives off the feeling of mixing two different drawing styles, with different face and body proportions.

4) Teacher/student relationships without social consequences. Sometimes, you hear the characters mention possible difficulties, but usually they quickly quit the unnecessary talking and go to bed. I'm not saying that such relationships in yaoi manga should be banned, but it wouldn't hurt to make the characters a little more serious about this.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:33 am
Fangirls who think they know it all.

Not the ones who really do, they are usually more reserved.

The ones that are like 'OMG, I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU HAVEN'T -SEEN- THAT?! WHAT KIND OF YAOI FAN ARE YOU!' 'YAOI IS A JAPANESE WORD, I'M SO SMART.'

<.< I've had my cap fix for the day.  

Syntria
Crew

Riosin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:40 pm
1)Shota-con- You...*****. 0o()
2)Female Character Bashing- For god's sake, let's grow up shall we?
3)Mass Orgies- No...no comment
4) Elderly yaoi- *shudders then screams in pain*
5) Self Love- OMG Brain tumor~!
6)Rape- Without any kind of emotional damage? Yeah right...
7)Pointless Parentel Abuse- I mean really now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:55 pm
I hate it when they take a great ch and then take a oc and put them together. We dont car about the OC.

I also hate it when the make a strong ch and turn him in to a cry baby who needs to be held and saved every 2 seconeds.

I hate it when they make the ch's totaly OOC and like make it themselfs in the skin of a great ch.

there are others but thoughs are just every ones average pet peeves  

Sumarra

Sparkly Shapeshifter

Keiikou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:08 pm
1.) Random banging/nonsensical pairings.. It just totally pisses me off. THEY ARE HOT SO THEY SHOULD SCREW~? Leik OMGSSS!!!! No. It happens way too often. Try to keep your fanfics in character, people! It is hard, but believe me, it makes for a better reading experience!

2.) Angst-ridden fics. I'm not saying I hate angst. Everyone loves a good angsty BL fic now and then. But, when it gets to the point where Shuichi gets so sad, so depressed that he has to screw Mr. K, I get angry. Don't use angst as a plot. It sucks, and it's terribly overdone.

3.) Bad grammar/spelling. OH MY GOODNESS PEOPLE. Use MSword, or whatever. Hell, use a dictionary if you must. But, please. Spell. Words. Correctly. Or I shall have your head. What otherwise would be a great fic is totally butchered by horrendous spelling. And, do not EVER use ^.^ or the like in any fic. Ever. Describe the expression, describe the feeling. It makes you a better writer.

4.) Drunken semes. I hate when suddenly one character gets wasted, so he has to go screw the first guy he sees. If a guy is seriously that wasted, then he should pass out! Then have the love intrest pick him up, and take him home or something. Don't start the whole 'Screw me... I've loved you forever, ' s**t.

5.) Non-Con. This is a tough one to explain. Personally, I absolutely love non-consensual sex. But, there's always some sort of mental trauma afterwards. And, this mental trauma effects the relationship. Do not forget this. Also, on this topic, remember, the uke will most likely always say something other than 'No!' 'Please stop it!' I hate wimpy ukes. Make him fight back... Give the seme a black eye!

6.) Lack of foreplay. Everyone loves foreplay. It builds up an important part of the story. Make it special.

Kitsune-chi
I remember hearing the phrase, "85% of the anime fan popularion embarasses the hell out of the other 15%". I believe in this case, "95% of the yaoi fan population embarasses the hell out of the other 5%" is more appropirate. I don't mean to offend anybody, but I gotta say it's true.

Couldn't agree more. The yaoi fandom has a pretty bad name, you know. It's because a lot of people are more into the idea of their favorite characters banging than anything else.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:13 pm
Wow, this is really interesting. I agree so much, but I almost never hear these complaints!

Rape and unhealthy relationships are my major one, I think. Yeah, I like rape fantasies too, but at least I don't pretend it's a good or normal thing. And that stockholm syndrome thing; yeah, I hear you. rolleyes If you're gonna rape someone, you should at least get their consent first (huh?) and be nice about it.

Ukes that look underage would be the next one. I don't mind them blushing or being cute, but if I feel like they should still be in school and the Seme is in his twenties or something, I get worried. See "unhealthy relationships" above. (See Gravitation! Aargh! I only read the second book but it made me feel horrible! Suichi, get the ninja out of there!)  

WillieHewes

Iciak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:25 pm
WillieHewes
If you're gonna rape someone, you should at least get their consent first (huh?) and be nice about it.

*pictures a shy, nervous rapist, stammering to ask for his hypothetical victim's consent*
I apologize for the randomness, but I thought it sounded really funny. xD;  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:29 pm
Iciak
WillieHewes
If you're gonna rape someone, you should at least get their consent first (huh?) and be nice about it.

*pictures a shy, nervous rapist, stammering to ask for his hypothetical victim's consent*
I apologize for the randomness, but I thought it sounded really funny. xD;

Yeah it does. The phrase didn't make too much sense, but I do understand what WillieHewes is getting at. At the same time though, it's not really rape if you're nice and gentle... That'd be more non-con, right? I don't know...  

Keiikou

Seijaku_Ishida

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:57 pm
Keiikou

Yeah it does. The phrase didn't make too much sense, but I do understand what WillieHewes is getting at. At the same time though, it's not really rape if you're nice and gentle... That'd be more non-con, right? I don't know...

Rape IS non-con.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:20 pm
Yeah, I have seen a few fanboys that way but I have mostly seen fangirls. Luckily, I do not see any fangirls or fanboys like that here. I was in a yu yu hakusho guild that... had a fangirl for Kurama section. It made me sick with how ugh the girls were.  

Doi Hachiro

Kuru-sama

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:47 pm
[x]~[x]~[x]
The really terrible and unrealistic stories. xP
[x]~[x]~[x]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:05 pm
Seijaku_Ishida
Keiikou

Rape IS non-con.

Oh. Thank you for telling me! I always thought they were different because they had different names.  

Keiikou

Seijaku_Ishida

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:16 pm
Keiikou

Oh. Thank you for telling me! I always thought they were different because they had different names.

Well, I suppose they have different connotations. Some people prefer the word non-con because it's not as strong or loaded as the word rape. But essentially, they're the same. Even if the uke isn't damaged physically by non-consensual sex, they're still damaged mentally and emotionally(or would be in real life).  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:10 pm
Censorship peeves me, I can read PWP with no problem.  

Yamu-sama

6,900 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Suulewen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:16 pm
Now I guess I echo alot of people here. Rape without emotinal trama, self lubricating sexual organs, PWP, characters acting TOTALLY out of character without a darn good reason for doing so. Spelling so bad that I can't read what is going on. Shota-Con, ect.  
The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 16 17 18 19 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff