Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Sylvia Browne? I think she's a flippin' nutter. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:42 am
BlueRoseTorn
The way I see it is that she made the claim first, therefore she needs the proof. Of course, I'm not skilled in debating for s**t, so...I should probably shut up about it. Conceded.
Burden of proof is on the first person in the subject who makes a positive statement. wink

Quote:

Not a character flaw, no, but I'd consider it a flaw in her skill.
That's absurd. The day divination is a science, then we can quantify it and find flaws as we know them within the practice.

For example: I had an experience in which I "saw" a friend's shoes, really I just caught a glimps of them as I was diving out of the way. I noticed they were white with blue accents- later I saw a pair of shoes that looked kinda like what I saw in my dream and asked my friend what brand of shoes she wore. They weren't the same brand- that doesn't mean my sight was inaccurate, nor does it mean that if/when the situation comes up that I shall play it off as "Well, I didn't guess the right brand of shoe, therefore, I don't need to move to get out of the way".

Seers often catch incomplete pictures, or can mistake materials and the like. Such errors are not a flaw with sight, but a natural part of it.

Divination through means such as Tarot and Runes may be different due to the nature of using tools to code meaning- but last I checked, most of Brown's work wasn't done through such means.

Quote:

TeaDidikai
And it's a biased concern that is not applied evenly.

How so? I'm not seeing how I don't apply it evenly, as I think everything she says is the result of cold reading.
But other people have been helped by her. So a generalization like that isn't universal.

Quote:
Quote:
Why is your UPG on the subject more valid than hers?

I'm merely saying that those who were close to the deceased would have a better insight of their character and faith, and where they would go in their respective afterlives (if any faith was held in such a thing, at all). If she were to tell me what she feels to be right about my deceased family members, I'd be inclined not to believe her, as she didn't know them personally and thoroughly (or at all, for that matter) as I did.
Your personal opinion would be based upon your bias though. It would be an interesting situation if she detailed information that was both accurate and private and then agreed with information within your beliefs as to the nature of said loved one's experiences.

Quote:
I'll be first in line to admit I know nothing of gnostic Christianity, so I can't give an opinion on that (heck, I've never even heard of it before I ventured into M & R). Saints in the Catholic spectrum yes, but I wouldn't classify them in the same group as ancestors and the like.
Why not? The idea is that they are clean spirits of Holy Mother Church that are there to help guide one.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:15 am
I thought Sylvia Browne was a nut too, until I got bored last summer and read her book "The Otherside and Back: A Psychics Tour of the Afterlife". She goes into her history for while and then when she gets into the actual parts about the Otherside, she asks you to set aside your disbelief for a bit, and to be honest with yourself if any of what she's about to say rings true. (You know, how like if you're reading a holy book, like the bible or Torah, and you get that TINGLE where you know you stumbled onto something? That feeling). So I took a breath, grumbled a bit and plowed in. SOME of it made me shake my head and laugh, like the part about how lions and other predators dont' hunt over there, and how there aren't any contact sports...but other parts...I can't deny how they made me feel. When reading certain parts, I felt like a part of me remembered some of what she had written about, like the Gardens, and the Hall of Voices. I had to stop reading at that point. I was A: Too freaked out to continue, and B: if I didn't I was going to cry. I did end up finishing the book, and I hate to sound cliche, but its' changed my life. Not in a HUGE way, but in a small spiritual way. Like Tea said, she gives faith and hope where sometimes there isn't any.

*shrugs* Just my .02$

LadyEladrin

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:52 pm
BlueRoseTorn
I'm sure. She's one of those sloppy UU's who take aspects from other religions out of context and mush them together. Hence my frustration.
Are you talking about your friend here, or Sylvia Browne?

Because I was going to grumble at you for this...:
BlueRoseTorn
Exactly. She comes across as very UU, which is, at best, moderately annoying.
...but if you only have a problem with so-called UUs who are too lazy to actually put in the work necessary to make the most of their religion, then I can agree with you. Just refrain from letting a few lazy people shape your impressions of an entire religion, if you please. 3nodding 'Cause, I mean, we don't hate on Wicca as a whole just because fluffies flock to its banner, so...  
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:02 pm
Again, sorry about the delay. I've just gotten back into the swing of Gaia (instead of just bumping my dumb quest thread. sweatdrop ).

Chaiyo Dekana
BlueRoseTorn
The way I see it is that she made the claim first, therefore she needs the proof. Of course, I'm not skilled in debating for s**t, so...I should probably shut up about it. Conceded.
Burden of proof is on the first person in the subject who makes a positive statement. wink

Ah. Then conceded. sweatdrop

Quote:
Not a character flaw, no, but I'd consider it a flaw in her skill.
That's absurd. The day divination is a science, then we can quantify it and find flaws as we know them within the practice.

I suppose you're right--I'm not really keen on divination and the like; I doubt I ever will be. Wasn't aware of all the haze.

Chaiyo Dekana
Seers often catch incomplete pictures, or can mistake materials and the like. Such errors are not a flaw with sight, but a natural part of it.

I understand now.

Quote:
Divination through means such as Tarot and Runes may be different due to the nature of using tools to code meaning- but last I checked, most of Brown's work wasn't done through such means.

Gotcha.

Quote:
But other people have been helped by her. So a generalization like that isn't universal.

I get what you're saying, but I still consider it in the "false hope" line. I think we'll have to agree to disagree, here.

Quote:
Your personal opinion would be based upon your bias though. It would be an interesting situation if she detailed information that was both accurate and private and then agreed with information within your beliefs as to the nature of said loved one's experiences.

It would be interesting, but I'm still skeptical--I usually am when it comes to this kind of thing. One of those things I can't help, I guess. *shrug*

Quote:
Why not? The idea is that they are clean spirits of Holy Mother Church that are there to help guide one.

I get what you're saying, here...I guess I'm too used to thinking of "ancestors" as being a word referring exclusively to one's family line.

TheDisreputableDog
Are you talking about your friend here, or Sylvia Browne?

I was talking about my friend, there. It's kind of hard for me to not have a mildly "off" opinion of the UU's, as the only people I've interacted with inside of said faith have all butchered religious concepts in one way or the other. I'm trying to fix that, though.  

queertastrophy

mekletzinasanas

Fashionable Werewolf

7,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Profitable 100
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:46 pm
She freaks me out. I don't care if she really is psychic, but those (claws)nails...*Shudder* That would be my only problem with her... mrgreen

That would be my pitiful contribution... cool  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces