Captain

Jaded Archivist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:16 pm
page 26

Sparkle Werewolf - Sparkledogs.
Nomy the Snail - O nom nom.

------------------
User Image

popped in to add in the fact that Fresh Bread to Go! is also a reference to Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea
with how a lot of the items look quite like the titular character, Wadanohara. (Although no original colors in sight.)

just click on the images for the links you want!
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

------------------

Added Today:

Hey Diddle Diddle
(aka The Cat and the Fiddle, The Cow Jumped Over the Moon)
Astra: Milky Way (Wiki)
User Image

----------------------
Not sure if you include item descriptions but if you do :
Candy Flower Chic + recolor.

reference to Beyonce's Flawless.

----------------------
im not sure but i think starry rainUser Image might be (as well being a revamp) a reference to twins satsuki and mutsuki kururugi from the idol game aichuu/i-chuu (based on addition of color scheme, hairstreaks, glasses, and button-up shirt+vest to the revamp's poses selection and overall star motif)

--------------------
All references to Animal Crossing:
[Animal] Elderly Mayor - Tortimer
[Animal] Village Rhythm - Totakeke/KK Slider
[Animal] Glittering Neighbor + [Animal] Sparkling Neighbor - Julian

Faithful Friend is Isabelle.
Opportunistic Moneylender is Tom Nook heart
Prattle Feather is Blathers and going on my wishlist.
Stylish Sisters is based off the Able Sisters
Woolly Tinkerer is Cyrus & Trader is Reese.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:19 pm
page 27

I found a Music reference that's missing! :O (There's soooo many things, I'm surprised! So surprised, that if it IS in this list somewhere, please let me know! I checked Music & checked the S's, & I didn't see it... xD SO MANY REFERENCES!)

Anyway. The item in question is:

User Image
Scat Fest

The description for it is as such:

skibi dibby dib yo da dub
shoo be doo be doo
bop doo dee bop didilly

The description is a reference to the song Scatman by Scatman John.
Edit: For some reason, the YouTube video won't load, so here's a link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy8kmNEo1i8

Possibly an obscure reference, but my mother played a bunch of late 80's & early 90's dance songs a lot with her friend, & that song was one of them. :3 Lots of memories of nostalgia for me, so when I saw that description with the name Scat Fest, I tweaked out. xD

----------------------------
[Animal] Black Umbrella + the recolors at Jock Strap.
Item description reference Winnie the Pooh (Ref)

-------------------------
Eternal Eclipse + recolors reference to Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse of the Heart, even has a glowy eye pose that's in the music video.

Sweet Noel + recolors reference to Little Match Girl story.

------------------------
I think this is a user sdplus doll but the item description is a reference to the musical group Girls' Generation - Gee
SDPlus

Vega's Love + recolors is based off a Chinese fable The Weaver Girl and the Cowherd, though it appears the items are supposed to be Japanese? I'm sure there's a Japanese variant of the story but I don't know what it's called. I know there were more items based off this fable but I don't remember stressed

I didn't see it already listed, and I'm not one hundred percent certain, but I'm pretty sure the item in Mecha Neko, Adoring Friend, is a reference to Elizabeth from the cartoon Phineas and Ferb.
It is actually a reference to Tomoyo Daidouji from Card Captor Sakura, and it is listed on the first page. biggrin

Oh I see! It was the colour scheme that made me think this. Elizabeth has the same outfit and hair in the same colours as the item. No camera though. Thank you for letting me know, it's nice to learn what the items are really referencing.  

ladykayra
Captain

Jaded Archivist

ladykayra
Captain

Jaded Archivist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:27 pm
page 28

The Crazy for Mew items seem to be a reference to the viral video eHarmony Video Bio.

-----------------------
Both OMFG and BTK are missing from the common internet acronyms.

Gorilla Mask - Planet of the Apes

The Oberon Set and the Titania Set are most likely named that due to A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Belted Shoes, Belted, Top, and Belted Pants are all Edward Scissorhands references.

The SBX items are really harder to get, and not sure they deserve it. It is both a jab at bronies and at how TV tries to revitalize older children stuff into things much more violent and such. They did this by making these Rainbow Starbright re-imaginings.

---------------------------
Don't know if someone has pointed this out but... Shibuya Nobody and recolors are Roxas from Kingdom Hearts 2. The line of text references Sea Salt Ice-cream with friends, which is what Roxas and his group of friends are eating in the prologue of the game.
Those items can be found in video games here. 3nodding

No no, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. What I meant is that those items are ALSO listed as reference to The World Ends With You, and I'm not sure how? Those items don't seem to reference the game. At least I see how. (I don't mean to be rude, just a little confused on that.) Although yes Zetta Heaper (and recolors) are almost without any doubt inspired by The World Ends With you.

~ Sorry to interject but I'd also like to say that even Gaiapedia gives credit to both references.

Shibuya Nobody, is based on the attire of Roxas from the video game series Kingdom Hearts, including the fact that he was a Nobody when you look at the name. It may also be a reference to the video game The World Ends With You, as the headphones look like the ones the main character, Neku, wears (only Neku's were purple, while the headphones on the item's color is orange), including the fact it includes the item has the name "Shibuya" on it, as that was the setting of the game. Additionally the caption of the item is "Sea salt ice cream and friends. What more could anyone want?" Sea salt ice cream was the ice cream Roxas ate with his friends in the Kingdom Hearts series and friends was the tagline for both Roxas and TWEWY. ~

*This post has been brought to you by Baby Fafnir. User Image

------------------------
Sorry for the constant posts.

From the new rig/ci:
Neptune the Seapony, reference to singer Hyuna (Ref) & possibly My Little Pony?

Royal Jellyfrills -- singer Brian Hyland (Ref)

----------------------
you may want to make note of Teddie's recolor (from the Persona list). [Animal] Teddy Bear Dress-up was recolored as [Animal] Comical Teddy Bear Dress-up (Teddie's real colors)

---------------------

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:32 pm
page 29

Also I think that Wendy's Kindness (http://www.gaiaonline.com/marketplace/itemdetail/10025097) is a possible reference to Wendy from Peter Pan. Not 100% sure but possible

Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Sartorial Slay (Buffy Summers)(Tank Top Image)
User Image

------------------
Actually, Soulless Cat Eyes from Occulus Mythica are a reference to Chiyo's Father from Azumanga Daioh, not Hunter x Hunter, even the name says so O:
item: http://www.gaiaonline.com/marketplace/itemdetail/21607
source http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/azumanga/images/0/0b/Chiyo_chichi.gif/revision/latest?cb=20090524010247

Also, Cloud the Bison is more a reference to Appa from Avatar The Last Airbender than JoJo's!
Item: http://www.gaiaonline.com/marketplace/itemdetail/10029335/
Source: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b4/Appa_and_Momo.png
The desc references Appa flying c:

Also, Senpai's Discipline is a double reference to whatever from KLK and Kiyotaka Ishimaru from Dangan Ronpa ~
Item: http://www.gaiaonline.com/marketplace/itemdetail/10073821
Source: http://i.imgur.com/MOwA9w0.png
ALSO Nagashi Shounen is a reference to the same character! His hair is hidden, to unlock it you need Agape + sketchbook pins! (the item creator, Finni, created this and the Junko item)
http://www.gaiaonline.com/marketplace/itemdetail/10054441

Also, Gin the Kitsune is a reference to Teen Wolf c:
http://www.gaiaonline.com/marketplace/itemdetail/10029000
Desc: Ain't no werewolf gonna touch me!
(none of its recolors have this desc)

Hato March is also a Hatoful Boyfriend ref c:
http://www.gaiaonline.com/marketplace/itemdetail/10123435

Saucy King Of Cats is a ref to Zacharie from OFF! c:
http://www.gaiaonline.com/marketplace/itemdetail/10035345

Tragic Tower + recolors is a reference to the tarot card The Tower (a card symbolizing great tragedy) ~
http://www.gaiaonline.com/marketplace/itemdetail/70595

And I think the Ouija Board (Summoning Supplies) item should be in the game reference section too O:
Ah, a few of these I actually didn't know.

The only one I'll have to respectfully decline is the senpai's discipline, while he's very disciplined I don't believe he ever get's overly muscly, that and after seeing the item next to the character in KLK I can't really see anything else but that guy. But seeing he is such an awesome character (one of my favorites) I would have to say I hope we get an item for him soon!

I did however add the Nagashi Shounen for the hair as it's "sister item" the Princess Hanabi is Junko.

ladykayra
Captain

Jaded Archivist

ladykayra
Captain

Jaded Archivist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:35 pm
page 30

In the Western Section

http://www.gaiaonline.com/marketplace/itemdetail/51731

Supernatural Arsenal should be in green lantern (ring) and x-men (visor).

Also this item is missing from Little Nemo's adventure in slumberland

http://www.gaiaonline.com/marketplace/itemdetail/54835

----------------------
The item 'Putin' is an obvious reference to Putin, the president of Russia. It is also a reference to the In Soviet Russia... joke/meme, since it has an example of it in the item description.
That one I had dedicated to Yakov Smirnoff since he started the jokes, but to be honest I was debating which way I would actually go with the reference. I can't really tell if Asimov (which is a recolor of the Putin) is an actual name or not. Thank you though.

-----------------------
This item + recolors (Hexer, Sorceress) reference Zelda though I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a specific character.

These items reference Jay Hawkin's song, I put a Spell on You.

-------------------
http://www.gaiaonline.com/marketplace/itemdetail/58747

Someone commented that this was similar to a Guild Wars ranger armor and that the description matches the beasts you had to kill in Factions, minus the turtle.

------------------------
This is a reference to the energy brand drink Red Bull. The thumbnail for the item is bascially the same as a can of the drink.
IRL
User Image

Gaia
User Image

If you've already got this, then i'm sorry -_-

--------------------
Okay so the item "The Days of the Weak" might be a reference to the song "Battlescars" by Ozma. The description of the item is "♫ I've got battle scars on all my guitars ♪", which is a lyric from the song.

--------------------------  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:38 pm
page 31

No need to apologize. :3 Actually I recall that item but I somehow overlooked it for the thread.

As a matter of fact you reminded me of two others that I can add to the list as well.

Red Bino Energy Drink which shares the same product as well as icon. The description is "Red Bino gives you fins!"
User Image

And the other being Zurg Energy Drink (which resembles the Monster Energy can.)
User Image

I've updated and these can be found on page 4 with brands/products

-----------------------
totally Kingdom Hearts

Spooky Keymaster
[Animal] Spooky Keymaster

--------------------
Exorciblings references this song.

Midnight Talk Host appears to be a reference to the podcast Welcome to Night Vale.

Also I posted this before but the Crazy for Mew items are based off the viral video eHarmony Video Bio, I'm not sure if you didn't see it or chose not to include it.

I'm gonna have to say Silent Hill: Revelation (movie) for this one

Doll Heads

--------------------
Disgaea

Doodette

Additional Updates

Music

The Offspring
SDPlus #588 Exie and Seeley (You're Gonna Go Far, Kid Lyrics continued)
User Image

Novels

Frankenstein
Wollstone's Craft
(The name of the item is based off of Mary Wollstonecraft, penname: Mary Shelley
The author of Frankenstein)

User Image
SDPlus #589 Wollstone
User Image

The Wizard of Oz
Straw Hearts (Scarecrow)
User Image

Will add more if need be.

-----------------------
Movies

The Nightmare Before Christmas
Triple Scare (Lock, Shock and Barrel)
User Image

Video Games

Bloodborne
Born from Blood
User Image

ladykayra
Captain

Jaded Archivist

ladykayra
Captain

Jaded Archivist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:42 pm
page 32

See Movies for listing.

Nightmare Before Christmas
My Dearest Friend (Sally and Jack)
User Image

--------------------
Found as an exclusive in the Death March Snake Bundle

See Anime.

Added:

DRAMAtical Murder / Doramatikaru maadaa
Mr. Snake March (Trip)
User Image

---------------------
Pepper Party - Just seems like a giant reference to LMFAO.

Smiling Gold Grill (plus others) - Chapelle Show. Specifically Chapelle's performance of Little John.

Shimone Powerdrills -I'll let the name and the flavor text speak for themselves.

------------------------
(New to the thread, not so much to the site.)

See page 4.

Kaleidoscope
Kaleidoscope Vision (Wiki)
User Image

Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea
Angel Station (Chlomaki/Nadine)(User Recolor by lMitchell)
User Image

----------------------
Imperative Daughter of Fury - recolor of Daughter of Fury (Mad Max)

--------------------
My Sweetest Friend - recolor of My Dearest Friend

---------------------
Caged Immortality
might be a possible reference to Clear of Dramatical Murder

Item name: 'Caged' is a reference to his Bad End when he utilizes and puts Aoba in literally a cage/jail. 'Immortality' refers to his longing of Aoba forever and his being as an android
Description: 'I can't seem to remember...' When Clear got rebooted in his Bad End
Hair: alike Clear's
Bandages: alike in the anime when Clear is bandaged in the same areas of his injuries
Boots: a similar recolor of Clear's boots design

~ Actually, the RIG the original color came from was known as Virtual Idol which was a music heavy reference RIG in fact other than this item there were at least 6 other items referencing Vocaloid in that RIG.

That said the referenced person is actually Oliver an english speaking Vocaloid. You can actually find the item listed in the Vocaloid section. The costume of the original is exact and the I can't seem to remember is reference to September one of the only songs at the time which were familiar to users that Oliver was used to cover. =)

Edit: Forgot to mention one of his first original songs that is known is eTeRNiTY which Caged eternity is the original item's name. Also James (bird) is in both though he does get recolored as well. ~

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:50 pm
page 33

SDPlus #243 Neon Core Flynn has the "clips" pose which is directly based off the clips pilots wear in evangelion

-----------------
I'm 99% sure that Midnight Talk Host is a reference to the podcast Welcome to Night Vale.

I also feel like two of the items are double references. First, while Terror of 1999 is named after the Creepypasta "1999" and has the Mr. Bear head, the rest of the outfit and the description SCREAMS Laughing Jack to me. Second is Immortal Veil which, based on the description, references the infamous fanficion "My Immortal," named after the Evanescence song.

--------------------
I've thought about this one for a while and I didn't notice it on the list so I thought I'd bring it up.
The item [Animal] Genki Dojikko seems to be a reference to Kofuku from the anime series Noragami.

------------------------
gaia_star gaia_crown gaia_star gaia_crown gaia_star

Don't know if this has been mentioned before or if I am over reaching but I've been thinking how the clothes and eye patch in Dark Hart of Camelot resemble that of Fremy from Rokka no Yuusha. Might just be a coincidence and not a reference though.

Classic French Fries + [Animal] references a classic line from the movie Pulp Fiction (ref -- video may contain inappropriate content?)

ladykayra
Captain

Jaded Archivist

ladykayra
Captain

Jaded Archivist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:56 pm
page 34

Ran across The Alluring Mr. Dorian in the marketplace; that's referring to a novel: The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde.
[/center

-------------------
Haenim, Dalnim, Horangi, and Heaven's Gift are all references to the folk tale The Sun Girl and the Moon Boy.

-----------------------
New Reference LQI is here!

Added to Video Games.

Undertale
Underworld Order
User Image

----------------------
New Recolor, WaterHeart Blue!

See Pokemon List.

Added:

Waterheart Blue | [Animal] Waterheart Blue
User ImageUser Image

---------------------
Video Games
K - L

Karaoke Partying
Karaoke Party
User Image

Katamari Damacy
Happy Capsule (Prince) | Ichigood (Princess) | King of the Stars (King of All Cosmos) | Cosmic Punch Pinata (Ball)
User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

Killzone (Source)
Hazard Shock Trooper
User Image

Kingdom Hearts
Peyo Coded Memories | Peyo Coded Nightmare | G Blade | Foe x Foe | Keytarblade
User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image
[Animal] Shibuya Nobody | Shibuya Nobody | Shinjuku Nobody | Akihabara Nobody | Akihabara Somebody (Demyx)
Level Up Blade | Magical Miracle Mage | Heartless One | Rai (User Made Item)(Source) | SDPlus Gaian Dyylannn (Sora Doll)
Antique Keymaster (+Other Colors) | Shadow Spirit
User ImageUser Image
Spooky Keymaster | [Animal] Spooky Keymaster
User ImageUser Image

Kid Icarus
Progeny Daedalus' Revolt (+Recolors)(Source)
User Image

King of Fighters
Wolf of Southtown (Terry Bogard) | Path of the Orochi (Iori Yagami) | Pink Gi (Dan, also in Street Fighter)
User ImageUser ImageUser Image
Shadowlegend (Any Gen)(Mai Shianui Ref (Note: She is also in Fatal Fury.)
Legendary Wolf Cut (Terry Bogard)(+Recolors)(+Agape Cut = Rock Howard) | Fiery Fanned Flare (Mai Shiranui)(+Recolors)
User ImageUser Image
Cursed Rival Style (Iori Yagami)(+Recolors)(+Agape Cut = Kyo Kusanagi)
User Image

Knights of the Nightmare (Pic)
Illyncia's Honor | The Knightmare (+Recolors) | Knight's Night

League of Legends
Good at Being Bad (+Recolors)(Youtube: Get Jinxed)(Additional Info)(Hat)(Pic) | Toadstool Scout (Teemo)
User ImageUser Image
Alena's Jinx (Jinx) | Dancing Lights
User ImageUser Image

Legend of Mana Series
Mana Tree Lamp (House) | Mana Seed | Peach Bunny Fluff (Source)

Legend of Zelda
(See next post)

Shadowlegend 11th Gen has a hair that Matches Lea from Kingdom Hearts.

-------------------
I'm pretty sure the description (and the name) for Abe Normal is a reference to the movie Young Frankenstein by Mel Brooks.
It's not a direct quote, but it's close enough to make me think that's what it's trying to reference.
You can decide if you wanna add it though.

User Image Abe Normal

Young Frankenstien scene.

------------------------
Both Cheepz and Marshmallow Skin are referenced to the Peeps easter candy.

------------------------
Hihi~ First of all, thanks for making this thread <3 ;u;

And I'm... 99% positive that the Knight of the Twilight Flame item is a reference to Shugo from .Hack (the Legend of the Twilight manga/anime).
Reference pics:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image

And a bigger one here~ Sorry for the lame refs, google doesn't seem to like Shugo emotion_facepalm

For the hat, hair and belts, at least. So similar.. x.x

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:03 pm
ladyk starting on
pg 35

Hello, again! It's been a little while since I last posted here. I've got an interesting item for Disgaea (under video games). While I don't think the Demiccubus item itself is a reference, Gaia came out with a very specific recolor of it that is a reference to Flonne: User Image Clumsy Demiccubus. Look at the picture of Flonne that you have linked to Ribbon Candy. Again, I'm unsure if the original item's hair bow was referencing Flonne's bow, but in this recolor, it's very apparent. The colors are very specific (bright, royal blue and white, which isn't a common color scheme on Gaia), especially the hair; I don't recall any other hair on Gaia that shade of blonde. (I might be forgetting them if there are any with this shade of blonde, but it matches perfectly with the colors used for Flonne's hair.) And on top of that, it's called Clumsy Demiccubus. Flonne is clumsy, and I believe is also called a klutz a few times in the first game. (It's been a while since I've played the first game, but I at least know "clumsy" would match her personality.) So if the original item's bow wasn't in reference to Flonne's bow, they intentionally recolored this item to be a reference afterwards. They knew what they were doing. Ha ha.

And I've got two suggestions, also for Disgaea. For Rabbitan, maybe link to User Image Glorious Rabbitan instead since that is the (mostly) cannon recolor for Usalia. (Or include it in addition to the original Rabbitan since those two combined makes a perfect match for Usalia. I changed my current avatar to my Usalia cosplay avatar to show this! Ha ha.)
And on a similar note, maybe change the Doodette link to User Image Stealthy Doodette since that is the (mostly) cannon recolor for Etna. (Though, why they couldn't have made Larharl's hair blue, the eyes red and the scarf the same shade of red/purple as the rest of the item to make it completely cannon is beyond me!)

Also, on a sidenote, I really like your Smile Like a Heartbeat Flies recolor, Shinji! It looks great! I'm kicking myself for not buying that one for 100b when it first came out. (I feel like I get what "Three Shells + Timing = What a twist!" is a combined reference to, but maybe it's just a coincidence. Ha ha.)
Very nice update and thanks. I actually mostly only know the Disgea characters through loose appearance so this is helpful. The style does sort of stand out. In any case I hope to get to updating it soon, hopefully later sometime today.

As for the doki thank you, it's so nice to learn. I've loved the instant doki since it came out so I wanted to make one of my own. I have to admit I'm not so great with advertising it but I do have a contest of sorts. I was thinking of posting it in here, but I stupidly attached it to my quest thread so it felt more like a shameless plug. I'll drop the link here in case you're interested in trying:
Smile Like a Heartbeat Files Contest

Oh, thank you! I tend to make lengthy posts when explaining something, so I'm glad that wasn't confusing. Just in case you want a reference to go with Doodette, it's mostly Etna, but the short hair and the antennae are Laharl. (And just for fun, the name "Doodette" references to something that Prinnies say all the time, "Dood!" And it's probably a play on words, since dood is their unique spelling of "dude" and the item is a combination of a male and female character.) I'm a big fan of Disgaea, and I LOVE Takehito Harada's artwork and character design for the series (and anything else he's done too)! It definitely does stand out.

Well, then! I'm glad I didn't just blab what I thought it was then! Ha ha. I'm definitely entering that contest. =) Also, whoops. Misspelled your item's name! It's Files not Flies.

-------------------------------------
heyo! i was wondering if anyone pointed it out already, but the last pose in 'pumpkin pupil' mask is a reference to undertale's flowey.

------------------------------
Mari the Djinn's item description is a reference to Disney's Aladdin (ref)

Huh, no reference to the Odyssey User Image for the Lit and Fables section?  

ladykayra
Captain

Jaded Archivist

ladykayra
Captain

Jaded Archivist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:10 pm
pg 36

these Batman references were missed, I just noticed.

Feline Thief
Sleek Feline Thief

I think that belongs to the Gotham series, and I believe so does this- Crooked Cousin
I am not 100% sure though, but if you wanna check it for batman thing

Not sure if it's worth mentioning, but Fallen Underworld Order seems to reference a specific character that the other versions of the item don't. In spoiler box because it's spoilery for the game.

There's a character named Chara who is referred to as the Fallen Child, and they sometimes speak in red text, just like in that recolor's dating sim pose.

Pierrot's Smile is obviously Joker from Kuroshitsuji

Ghosting Around is another Undertale item, based on the character Napstablook. The description is a tweaked version of a quote from them, and one of the arm poses is based on an overworld sprite where they're wearing headphones.

----------------------
Gaia keeps the specific character references coming. Dating Underworld Order references Papyrus in both its description and skeleton pose.

New Style Tactics RIG. Buncha new Fire Emblem Fates hairstyles. The series might end up needing its own topic someday!

Spellcaster's Locks is Orochi
Immortal Mage Curls is Nyx
Debonair Knights Mane is Subaki
Absolute Ally Style is Felicia
Concerned Brother's Hair is Xander
Loving Sister's Tresses is Camilla
Sibling's Sulking Locks is Takumi
Strong Sibling Style is Hinoka  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:31 pm
page 37

you're missing a few from the Brothers Grimm and Hans Christian Andersen!

Brothers Grimm:
source: "The Juniper Tree"
The Half-Sister
recolor: The Kind Half-Sister
Ominous Black Bird
The Twisted Juniper
Beneath the Juniper Tree
recolor: Beneath the Pine Tree
recolor: Beneath the Mahogany Tree
recolor: Beneath the Oak Tree

Hans Christian Andersen:
source: "The Little Match Girl"
Little Match Girl

source: "Donkey Skin"
Donkeyskin
Peau d'Âne

I don't know how you want to handle this one as some stories come from the Brothers Grimm, some from Hans Christian Andersen, and some come from other sources.
I see them listed individually, but I still say make mention of the recolors.
Cold Case Modus Operandi
Modus VVednesday
Modus Ponens
Modus Tollens

that's all I can think of at the moment.

also, Dark Lady of the Mist (The Mists of Avalon) has recolors.

found something unrelated to these guys; Cats. it could go under poetry since it was originally a collection of poems, but it was later turned into a Broadway show and then a movie. your call, but here are the items:
FELINES - Monkutan
FELINES - Kremella
FELINES - Cranks
Brother's Grimm and Hans Christian Anderson seems to be all over the place in the thread at the moment. I haven't gotten to putting those together just yet, but I'll see what I can do.

As for the Felines, while it might be true that there's a poem first I'm going to stick with the stage play as that's what the costume parts are made to look like and can be found here.

I actually somehow forgot about the mini ei recolors.

In any case, thank you for the information, I'll be updating sometime this weekend.

--------------------
Tofu the Turkey - Chick-fil-A. Both the items description and its second pose are in the style of Chik-fil-A's advertisements.

------------------
See Page 2, Video Games.

Added:

Splatoon
Clownin' Around (Annie & Moe)
User Image

Don't Badger Me - description references the Crazy Nastyass Honey Badger video

Boarish Behavior - Nago from Princess Mononoke

Quite Contrary - Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary nursery rhyme

------------------------
Vocaloid - Gumi - Echo
User Image Object of Affection + Recolors

----------------
See page 4. Toys, Games, Brands, Products, Sponsorships, Etc.

Added:

Hello Kitty
Stars Taste Sweet (Little Twin Stars)
User Image

--------------------
Wedding de Mortis - Corpse Bride. The items description are from the movie's song Tears to Shed.

Third Stall - Hanako-San

SDPlus #408 Bloody Mary & SDPlus #459 Carnival Bloody Mary - Bloody Mary

Southtown Ghost Story - I screwed up on this one. While I said it was based on Alice Riley, it should be more based on the belief that she still haunts her home. The more I looked into items from Dark Reflection 2, the more I realized how many are based on ghost stories and folklore.

The White Lady - While there are multiple folklore about various White lady Ghosts, the item description makes sure it is about The White Lady of Darwen Lancashire, England.

Black Maggie - Black Aggie

-----------------
Here's one for the People section - Blood Countess and its recolor are based on Countess Erzsébet Báthory, specifically the (totally made up and not true at all) claim that she bathed in her victims' blood.

Also, Pumpkin Pupil's final evolution has brought yet another Undertale reference. The Spooky Face pose is Sans.

----------------  

ladykayra
Captain

Jaded Archivist

ladykayra
Captain

Jaded Archivist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:25 pm
page 38

Private Forces - Metal Gear Solid's Big Boss and Quiet.

------------------

From Woodlands Faye Rig
(Will add more if there are still any missing.)

Page 5: Novels, Literature, Stories, Fables and Poetry

Little Red Riding Hood
Red's Rise
User Image

Mary Had a Little Lamb
Mori Had a Little Lamb (Wiki)
User Image

-------------------
Unfortunately I'm not really sure what item you mean. Do you remember what any of the poses might have looked like?
I had a dumb.
I know I remember that they had made a Lewis avi in an announcement quite a while back, and thought they had made an item referencing the Ghost video by Mystery Skulls, but thinking about it, and looking around, I'm pretty sure they were just selling Haunting Ace of Spades Masks, which I don't think is a actual reference to it. And the hair I remember it having is a salon hair.
Sorry. My memory failed me. sweatdrop

The Lewis item is Sukeruton March. At least the balloon pose is him, anyway.

Dunno if it's just me, but Boarish Behavior reminds me too much of the guys in Princess Mononoke wearing the boar pelts

http://www.gaiaonline.com/marketplace/itemdetail/10213223

-------------------

National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo)
Writer's Block
User Image

Also Clownin' Around has a Recolor!

PS: I wonder if updating the thread counts as procrastinating on my own writing project...

-------------------

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:28 pm
page 39

don't forget about Vermillion Stained Wings' recolors!
Thank you. Updated. 3nodding

you're welcome cat_biggrin I'm just so obsessed with the Fatal Frame series, and I happened to be going through the video game lists yesterday (and shopping) and noticed the recolors weren't there. I was so happy when I found out about Project Fatal, but I nearly lost it when Vermillion Stained Wings came out. lol

-----------------
another Card Captor Sakura item! [Animal] Bearer of Cards

found it totally by accident while trying to identify an adorable fur I can't afford that I saw in an announcement (it's a chipmunk!!!!!!!!!!!)

------------------
Do you think the first pose of Yin Tech could be considered a reference to Misha from Ar tonelico? Or just coincidence?
It's similar though given the nature of the item and the bundle I would have to say it's more coincidence.

------------------
So, couldn't sleep at night and decided to go through every SDplus doll that wasn't user created.

SDPlus #092 Enchanted Duo - Cinderella

SDPlus #133 Les Cannon - Show White. The Frozen Apple CI tells the Snow White story, with this character replacing the Prince.

SDPlus #261 Oh Mister Liam - Pride and Prejudice. Had to search for the art thread for this one.

SDPlus #264 The Ruby Letter - The Scarlet Letter

SDPlus #363 Runcible Spoon - The Owl and the Pussycat. +Recolors

SDPlus #435 Chairman Basil Confit IV - Iron Chef. A take on Chairmen Kaga.

SDPlus #443 Commodore Drake & Commadere Waves - Most likely based off of James Cook.

And not sure if you want to add more CIs to the list. But if you do, Frozen apple is Show White while Neverland is Peter Pan.

-------------------
Annie Calamity + recolors references Seinfeld (ref).

-------------------
Here's one for the People section - Blood Countess and its recolor are based on Countess Erzsébet Báthory, specifically the (totally made up and not true at all) claim that she bathed in her victims' blood.

That's an interesting find, I've updated that in.

The new LQI also references her in the concept and description.

--------------------
the Kin Cereal the Gosling is a reference to the meme Ryan Gosling won't eat his cereal

ladykayra
Captain

Jaded Archivist

ladykayra
Captain

Jaded Archivist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:32 pm
page 40

New Animal Crossing LQI Introduced today!

See page 2.

Added:

Absent Mayor (Isabelle)
User Image

Also a reference to Digby - it's in his colors and has his hairstyle as one of the poses.

-----------------
i don't think i've seen it mentioned anywhere, but perimeter scout (+recolors) is a reference to redwall

----------
Cereal the Gosling - the artist confirmed that he's a subtle reference to the Ryan Gosling Won't Eat His Cereal meme

Candinati - popularly thought to be a reference to Bill Cipher from Gravity Falls

There's also a bunch of kins that are blatant Pokémon references. I'm about to post them in the proper thread.

-------------------
I'm not sure if you include recolors, but Protagonist's Intuition is another reference to Naoto from Persona 4. (mainly the glasses and description is what makes me think this)

I'm sorry I couldn't find a bigger sprite of her with the glasses. sweatdrop

---------------------
the new LQI Day Zero is a Fallout reference, specifically the description and Dogmeat.

----------------
Kallida Kumiho has a pose called Fsteak, which references a scene from a webcomic called Hiimdaisy.

---------------
The caption in the Garage Band recolours is a reference to a quote from the movie 'Trainspotting'

It reads "A little bit crazy, a little bit bad. But hey! Don't us girls just love that?" a quote by Diane

I haven't watched the movie, I just googled the quote, since it seemed like a reference

----

Also, the 'Peace for Paris' and 'Peace for Beruit' items were made in recognition of the recent attacks in France and Lebanon by ISIS. Not sure if this counts as a reference, but I'll put it here anyways

R.I.P.  
Reference List Rebuild Project

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces