[prp] an authentic recipe (cass & jeremiah) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

demon_pachabel

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:34 am
"Especially if you make your own butter - it takes like 8 minutes, so really easy if you've never done it before - and then take the buttermilk off of that to make your bread with. So good." for someone who acted like a starving homeless creature, she sure knew a lot of little things about food that made it seem like she should have been cooking. "I like the flavored oils for various things too. Ever made a pasta sauce with a basil-oil?"

"Hellbine can grow herbs? That's amazing," and helpful sounding, but then again....Cass remembered she didn't get to be that person anymore, and instead followed after Jeremiah to look over vegetables curiously. She turned over a tomato in her hand, before she added it to their growing pile of vegetation.

"Have you ever made yogurt before or is that going to be an adventure you don't want to take." An adventure of two ingredients, a pot, and letting it cool overnight for a sauce.

azuredreams

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:03 pm
"I'm guilty of doing so. I also make my own beef tallow for cooking as it adds a better flavor." Though that was something of a mess when he did that and left the kitchen a wreck. Thankfully it was something he did not have to do that often because he made enough of it that it lasted for quite a long time.

"Oh, yes. Basil-oil is particularly nice. I made a garlic one the other week, which is why I have to pick up more garlic." That meal had not lasted to having left-overs. The tomato was put into the basket, Jeremiah nodded at Cass. "Yes, he can. You just have to ask him. Something he was taught, actually, as all he could grow as a kitten was cuscuta." Which was why, in fact, his name was Hellbine. Also because the cat was a facehugger.

Jeremiah let out a snort at the mention of yogurt. "I have but unless you want to wait until tomorrow to have these, we'll look for something that will meet the standards we have." The bar was high. Very high. "I honestly enjoy making most things from scratch, especially if I have the time to do so. Like my own sourdough during the colder months."

demon_pachabel

azuredreams
Crew

Snarky OTP

33,025 Points
  • Married 100
  • Falling For You 25
  • OTP 200

demon_pachabel

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:13 pm
"Yeah, it'd take way too long for dinner or lunch or whatever the plan is at this point," with how long a rotisserie would take to cook their meat of choice, probably dinner. Or whatever the word for between lunch and dinner was. Was there one?

"Mmm, I used to make an orange-oil for pastries and stuff. Not quite the same as just zesting it in, but some things the zest just didn't go it for." she crinkled her nose a bit. "A garlic oil sounds good. I'd probably try that straight with the sourdough, especially if it was buttered." she paused, "or a jalapeno oil if that isn't too much for your tastes."

Said the girl who lived off microwave dinners and comments on instagram of 'FEED IT TO ME' (Sorry Jeremiah, Cass was a pretty simple feral animal that had adopted you).

"Well, I'm not sure if this market will have the good stuff, but we'll see. I'm picky about the..." she bunny eared with her fingers, "'Greek Yogurt'. Because it always has a weird dryness to it." Probably from siphoning off all of the good whey from it. Boo.

azuredreams

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:43 pm
Wasn't that word supper? Who knew.

"I don't mind things that are hot. It's more of 'is it a back of the throat' or 'is my tongue on fire' spicy type of situation. One I can deal with easily, the other makes me reconsider what I am eating." Jeremiah gave a hum of agreement about orange zest though. "There's a place we can hit up for something that might fit your tastes. One of those 'world market' grocers. They have a lot of niche items and foods."

Ashdown was the type of town that had those kinds of stores. Especially considering the college.

"Not going to make that 'Greek Yogurt' mistake again. Did it once when I was young and never again. Everything tasted off with the entire meal." He laughed a little, pausing at a display of fresh herbs and spices. "Never mind had a wrong mouth feel."

Yes, he was that cooking nerd.

demon_pachabel
(when the truth comes out that jeremiah is more of a cooking nerd/snob than nasir. except nasir cooks because he loves it and jeremiah cooks because it is a release. also nasir isn't a cooking snob |: )

azuredreams
Crew

Snarky OTP

33,025 Points
  • Married 100
  • Falling For You 25
  • OTP 200

demon_pachabel

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:51 am
"Depends on if it's a lingering heat or not too," Cass agreed as they moved along to the next stand. "A world market, huh? I know there are some grocery stores that specialized in more artisinal foods too. There was one in another city I lived in that had all sorts of goat and sheep cheeses and like seventeen varieties of flavored oils." That was a lot, "Plus their bakery was super killer."

While Jeremiah was a cooking snob, Cass was a cooking snob that loved food, obviously.

"Though I wonder if anybody here has rennet...I'm feeling fresh cheese in my future." otherwise she'd have to wish she could order things off the internet. Cass was very particular about paying for everything in cash and not owning a debit or credit card.

"Ooooof, yeah. I don't know why it's so popular. It's missing all the good whey and the flavor is ehhHHHhhhhh," she made a face as she perused the display of herbs. Cass sniffed a few, the wheels in her head turning as she considered what she would have made with it. Then that nagging 'you're not allowed to do the things you like ever again' returned and she put the plant down with a frown.

azuredreams

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:23 pm
"I recommend the bakery that's a block over from Town Hall and the department. They make just about everything from scratch, no premade mixes or anything." That had him thinking perhaps they should stop by. If he did not make the bread himself, it would be the place to pick it up.

Definitely looking like it was going to be a dinner thing or a particularly late lunch.

"Rennet? Let's move over a few stalls, there's a cheese vendor, but if not I can give you some. Or check with my neighbors, though they mostly do canning." A thoughtful hum escaped as he plucked up a few seasonings, basil and a couple others, before he was looking back at Cass with a chuckle of agreement. "Yes. I assume it's gained popularity because of dieting but then there's several cooking shows that have popularized it as well."

Jeremiah rolled his eyes a little before focusing on her. "Alright there?" That frown wasn't missed but the look on his face, Cass would be able to tell, said that she could brush off responding if she wanted. Especially when he was gesturing towards another stall. The cheese one.

demon_pachabel

azuredreams
Crew

Snarky OTP

33,025 Points
  • Married 100
  • Falling For You 25
  • OTP 200

demon_pachabel

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:03 am
"Sorry, reminiscing on dead dreams," Cass said, shrugging off the entire feeling, "I have a lot of those." She put back on her brightest smile and continued to the next stall to look at the cheeses, peering at all the plastic-wrapped wedges and the labels above them. Without a thought, she grabbed a wedge of Mizithra and Havarti. Cheese.

Once she was done being distracted by an obviously strange love of cheese, it was easily determined that no, this stall didn't have Rennet. Only delicious cheese (which Cass happily paid for, because cheese).

"I didn't quite expect it, but they have fresh Mizithra, which in a way is even better. I'm going to have so much pasta this week. Makes me miss my pasta maker." Alas, she wondered briefly where all her old stuff was. In a police warehouse somewhere? How much of it could she actually ask for back? Any of it? If she'd been allowed any of it, why did they dump her in the middle of Arizona without a word and the clothes on her back?

"Man, I'm full of weird memories today," she admitted with a sheepish laugh. "Didn't think this would be the place to make me miss my childhood so much."

azuredreams

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:21 pm
"Know how that goes ..." Not that Jeremiah commented more on that, instead he too was lured in by the cheese selection. A couple squares of some Irish and English cheeses were snagged because they were excellent with the breakfast things they had been having lately.

Cass was given a look before he let out a chuckle, both the look and chuckle were understanding. "Admittedly, places like this do the same for me. I spent a fair majority of my youth wanting to cook and learning to cook and essentially making a nuisance of myself in the kitchen." He shot Cass an amused look. "Part of that has to do with the fact my father - and I say that loosely - had outdated ideals about who should be in the kitchen."

demon_pachabel

azuredreams
Crew

Snarky OTP

33,025 Points
  • Married 100
  • Falling For You 25
  • OTP 200

demon_pachabel

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:36 am
Cass laughed. "Oh, I know about parents and outdated ideas. Less about gender roles and more about who should be allowed to exist." She had always wondered where that line was drawn. Clearly there was a certain level of hypocrisy - her mother had darker skin than even Cass had and hadn't been from the states at all. "But before I realized how awful they were, I did a lot of cooking at home too."

When had she realized they were awful people? She couldn't place it, oddly.

"I think I cooked more than either of my parents. It was a great aspiration of mine before stuff happened."

azuredreams

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:46 pm
"Piers - my father - was guilty of both gender roles and thoughts about who is allowed to exist. Worse, he was part of politics for a while." Jeremiah was not actually sure what Piers was up to in this world. Mostly because he had died of a heart attack in the other, still married to his mother Meredith. Not so much in this one. They had divorced while he was still in his early twenties.

"I know I cooked more than either of my parents. Aside from baking, my mother never actually made meals." His father obviously did not cook. Cass was given a look, head tilting towards her. "Hope you realize that you will be assisting with this. While I'm going to do most, you're helping. That way if it does taste amazing, you can claim it was your influence."

The glint of amusement in his eyes was rather obvious.

demon_pachabel

azuredreams
Crew

Snarky OTP

33,025 Points
  • Married 100
  • Falling For You 25
  • OTP 200

demon_pachabel

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:17 am
She wasn't sure if politics was worse than what her parents did. "Mine tried to enforce their views on a level that hurt people," she admitted quietly. As long as she didn't put the specifics into it, she wouldn't be in too much trouble, right? "Rather, my father actively did and my mother supported it. I became an emancipated minor when they went to prison for it." It wasn't a whole truth, and maybe Jeremiah would be able to tell...but it was kind of nice to get that off of her chest. Most of the time she just left anybody who was curious think they were dead.

She tilted her head back at him when he told her she was recruited to kitchen duty. "Well, I'll try to not destroy everything then. I at least know the best way to prep the chicken for it." Though chicken was harder to slice into the right pieces than pork was. Chicken typically tasted better.

"So if it's really bad it was also my influence. Just saying," she shrugged with a half-smile. "I'll make sure to not burn down your house at least."

azuredreams

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:45 pm
It was vague enough that Jeremiah could read between the lines. Mostly because he could read it in Cass's behavior, the way she carried herself, and the way she spoke about herself and other things.

Jeremiah nodded, listening obviously, before he nodded. "Emancipated minor followed by traveling? I didn't emancipate myself but I did, essentially, bail and spent most of my early twenties terrorizing the New England area of the United States." His lips twitched. "Mostly the bars because it was so easy to bait the redneck yanks." Moments like this, his accent was all that much more blatant and obvious. It was surprising that it had not faded at all over the years but he had made a point to keep it.

Even if he could terrify people with sounding like he was American.

"Then we'll put you on that," his lips twitched, "and thankfully I think I can make sure you don't burn the house down." She was given a look. "Besides, I am certain between the two of us it won't taste bad at all and we'll satisfy that gyro craving."

demon_pachabel

azuredreams
Crew

Snarky OTP

33,025 Points
  • Married 100
  • Falling For You 25
  • OTP 200

demon_pachabel

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:07 pm
Cass laughed. "It's hard for me to see you being too much of a terror, but maybe you're more like me than I thought," not that Cass had bothered many people in bars yet. Was that still an option? Bother people in bars? "Lived in 10 different cities and held more jobs than that. Eventually something will feel right," or maybe safe was the word she was looking for. "Dunno. I had plans once, now I don't."

Well, technically she did still have plans.

"Alright, chicken prep it is. I hope you have a lot of bowls or marinading tupperwares or something. Well, maybe just one big one." she pantomimed the size she was thinking of with her hands. "We'll see if it satisfies the nostalgia craving. I may just have a higher standard in my mind because of the good ol' days than because of authenticity. Who knows."

azuredreams

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:05 pm
"Mm, it was easier to pick fights and be a scrapper than deal with what was back at home." Jeremiah chuckled, a little ruefully because, really, sometimes he still regretted his decision to run. Especially when he was in a world where another him had made better choices. Even if that Jeremiah had run, he had still come back and said what needed to be said instead of holding back.

"Changed cities every few months? Boston, New York, Rockport, Jersey," he made a face, "the list goes on. Something will click for you," Jeremiah smiled slightly, "or it could be something similar to me." A few more things were picked up and paid for. "Do the thing they say you can't do because <******** what people say and think." Rare for him to curse or swear in public but it did happen.

He watched her hands and nodded. "Unless it's some niche cooking item, I should have everything." A small pause and he chuckled. "Actually, I may still have it even if it's some niche item." Jeremiah was that kind of nerd, the cooking kind. "Can't help if it's nostalgia but at least we'll have gyros."

demon_pachabel

azuredreams
Crew

Snarky OTP

33,025 Points
  • Married 100
  • Falling For You 25
  • OTP 200

demon_pachabel

Beloved Werewolf

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:02 am
Cass paused, frowning. 'They'? Who was this 'they' and what was it they were telling her she couldn't do? She entertained the thought to herself quietly as the next few ingredients (and the impulse of some fresh peaches because lord, fresh peaches were the best) were purchased. "I think the last time someone told me I couldn't do something I set the world record for fastest time to break a nose." she said jokingly.

But it still left unsaid why she abandoned all of her dreams she'd once had. Had anybody ever told her that she needed to? Or had Gus McFrankerstein been so vague (and never picked up her calls) that she'd just assumed it?

"Amazing. Sounds like how our house used to be. That kitchen was mine. I was the weird kid who asked for a Pressure Cooker for their birthday," she laughed a bit. "And hey, I'll form new nostalgia for them, right?"

azuredreams

ashdown

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces