Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild
Yaoi...a bit popular, much? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Starlit-Knight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:29 am
Yaoi's been on mass production lately. It's really popular. Even the preps and jocks in my school that hate anime know what it is and know some titles yet if I ask them about Yuri or anything else, they're like "What?"  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:11 am

-nods- I have to agree. Like most good things, it seems like yaoi has been mass-produced.

Maybe it is because of all the attention being given to gays lately. Like gay marriage, for example. Because of that, maybe people--mostly girls, I'm guessing--- are starting to look at things a bit differently... and since most yaoi fans are female, it all adds up.

Now...if only some of those girls could actually role play a decent male character without making him seem like a chick with a d**k... a whiny one, at that.

FPMule

Zachod

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:18 pm
I have to accept that it might be becoming too popular (hope this isn't because of me entering, be the way thank you very much for inviting me to join guys!) but I don't think it can become too much. Personally I'm ok with yaoi and yuri and het, all of them, and almost all the yaoist I know here are, but I can't deny that there are some people that don't...  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:11 pm
I think its popular within as an inside circle but in mainstream media I don't think its gonna get to popular  

Chakura

Max Glycine

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:29 pm
I have to admit, when I was only into yuri, I hated yaoi. Not because I thought it was wrong, but because it was so popular. I kinda felt like yuri was being ignored in favor of the more popular yaoi. Now that I like yaoi, I still feel like yuri is ignored... cry  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:29 pm
Iras - Male Love Train

There are probably 4 types of slash/yaoi fans in this world.

1) The kind that actually likes it, normally the kind that is open-minded about other things (het, "real" gay people, yuri).

2) The kind that is really just anti-"the system"/US Government/Bush/their parents/teachers and does it mostly to spite it.

3) The kind that will like anything if it has potential.

4) The kind that is just experimenting...

As for why it is more well known then Yuri, it is probably because lesbian sex has been more natural for males for years, but for tons of people, teenage girls included, to suddenly like gay guys, it's new and different. Give it 5 years and nobody will care

eduardo galpaleano

Liberal Ladykiller

9,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

KuraiKitty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:45 pm
I try to be open-minded... and I find shounen-ai quite... hm, what's the word? Oh, yes. Awesome. ^_^

I'm not a fan of yuri, mostly because I can't see myself in that scenario, you know? (I'm straight, myself.)

I'm not certain, whether or not it's just a media thing. I simply stay loyal to yaoi because I rather like it, both as an art form, as well as an outlet for some artists to bring their own face of gay pride out into the public. Every art piece carries a message... whether manga does or not, all shounen-ai succeeds in reaching out just a little more to the general public.

Now, I don't bash anything; I'm open to shoujo-ai (Again, I don't prefer it, but...), het, and shounen-ai, and won't bash any of that. I respect others' opinions, too, and won't rant against any particular belief.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:20 pm
For-Chan Cookie
YukiroKatsuya
Okay, you are saying you think yaoi is a bit much ON A YAOI BOARD! Go complain on the Yuri board where people will listen to you -.-.

I think you completely missed the point on that one. The basic gist of it is "How can people be all over yaoi and still sit there and completely reject yuri?" in other words "How can yaoi fans be so damn close minded?" This being a yaoi board, it's the perfect place to ask yaoi fans about the outlook of other yaoi fans.

How I took it she was complaining why there is soo much yaoi. In a yaoi thread. Anyway, I have many reasosn why I don't like Yuri. because, I am a gay male, I don't like two females doing it, it doesn't do anything for me, nor interest me. I tried yuri once. It... sucked I also don't like girls, period so I don't like hetero either. I like Yaoi because its two men.  

Doi Hachiro

Kazkazarian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:46 pm
I like yuri; just not the sex scenes in some mangas or animes. Xp
Same goes with most het, and some yaoi. It doesn't depend on the lovers, although the situations presented and depiction by a specific writer or artist can get on my nerves.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:40 pm
YukiroKatsuya
For-Chan Cookie
YukiroKatsuya
Okay, you are saying you think yaoi is a bit much ON A YAOI BOARD! Go complain on the Yuri board where people will listen to you -.-.

I think you completely missed the point on that one. The basic gist of it is "How can people be all over yaoi and still sit there and completely reject yuri?" in other words "How can yaoi fans be so damn close minded?" This being a yaoi board, it's the perfect place to ask yaoi fans about the outlook of other yaoi fans.

How I took it she was complaining why there is soo much yaoi. In a yaoi thread. Anyway, I have many reasosn why I don't like Yuri. because, I am a gay male, I don't like two females doing it, it doesn't do anything for me, nor interest me. I tried yuri once. It... sucked I also don't like girls, period so I don't like hetero either. I like Yaoi because its two men.
My my, I wasn't complaining O___o It was more like something I see; a meer observation. And I don't see how my OPINION is upsetting to you=P I think those who are into Yaoi should hear ALL views on the subject, and not just the ones they want to hear or believe =__=

When I read about my favorite animes, I read the good and bad reviews; and in doing so I learn even MORE about the anime as a result.

But I'm getting off-subject here xP

And just because you're a homosexual male doesn't automatically mean you're going to hate Shoujo-ai. I, for one, am a homosexual myself, and I LOVE Shounen-ai/Yaoi. I also read alot of hetero, like Hot Gimmick. =P

And once again, I'm not complaining, I'm just stating and OBSERVATION.

Pax et lux

Youkai-Riri-chan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:43 pm
I, personally, enjoy yuri as much as yaoi and het. I find nothing wrong with either of them and could care less what people think of me when I admit it out loud. It is a part of my life and I could never have it taken away. I doubt me being bisexual has anything to do with it, so I don't think we can say that someone likes something depending on their sexual orientation. I've met guys and girls as straight as line that enjoyed yaoi and yuri.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:40 pm
I dont think it is, but I dont see why it matters. Theres always something thats becoming to popular. Such as Inuyasha and Pokemon, now its the gay community. Though I think its great to see that people are starting to accept us more these days, but there are still plenty out there who hate gays and yaoi. I enjoy yaoi, yuri I can stand, but I dont go looking for it presay. But I even enjoy the occasional straight couple, though its rare that I find one good enough. But I like the manga W Juliet, my friend is reading it at the moment, and its not bad.  

~Yaoi Ninja Demon~

kruegs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:48 pm
Tastes very. It is a fact of life. It is a sad situation when people are not willing to take a gander at a new genre or perspective. This is true. So either one ignores the closeminded loudmouths, or attempt to convince them that their closemindedness is what holds humanity back from achieving peace via understanding. For the record I will/have check(ed)out any anime/manga genre out there that I come across. I don't dismiss things too easily. If it does not agree with my taste then, meh, whatever. ninja It agrees with someone elses taste. (Note- there are exceptions to the rule- ie. underage exploitation.) Anyway that's all I got. And yaoi can get as popular as possible, I will still love it and I will tell people that I knew it before they knew the word manga. Strictly speaking about RL people. heart  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:01 am
Some of the most rabid yaoi fans I've met have surprisingly also been some of the most homophobic.

That said, I really don't get why yuri isn't very popular. Personally, it's not my thing, but if it were well done I would probably like that(Hell, my favorite pairing in Angel Sanctuary is Kurai and Belial. Although Belial is technically genderless, she was supposed to have been female).

I am open to any and all kinds of relationships in the stories I read, and in real life. In stories, if the characterization and character interaction is believable, I'll read it. It doesn't matter if the character is male, female, transexual, gay, straight, bi. I do have a preference to m/m relationships, but I won't hole myself up in my niche and condemn all others.  

Seijaku_Ishida

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100

Solo Duet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:01 am
*gasp* Never~~ *runs away screaming*

A bit popular is an understatment. Ha~ I love the stuff :3 *hazy eyes* Ahem. Yes... Uhm. I don't know. Yaoi or Yuri, I don't really care~ I still give my undying support to them =D

And about Yuri~~ I think it can be as popular as Yaoi... give it time >D

The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces