Submit

Sean King

Lonely Lunatic

13,975 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:29 pm
The GM was absolutely thrilled about my character. He was an Ork that was kind of a mutant. His physical stature was incredible small for an Ork and his intelligence was ridiculously high. He had been banished as a baby and was raised by a Heretek. The Heretek trained him to be a techpriest. He was heavily augmented with aumetic eyes and a vocoder replaced the lower portion of his face so that the only way you could tell he was an Ork was to remove his robes. He had an abysmal Weapons Skill, Strength, and Toughness, but a modest Ballistic Skill and a high Intelligence. The only person in the Rogue Trader crew who knew the truth about his identity was the Rogue Trader captain himself.

I created this character knowing full well that down the road he was going to be the cause of big trouble for our crew.

This was not the first time I had created a character with a really dangerous past, in our Deathwatch game I had a Black Shield character that had originally been a pre-discovery of Conrad Curze Night Lord who had become trapped in a Warp Storm for 10,000 years.

I love creating cool characters with nasty flaws or drawbacks.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:54 pm
Sean King
The GM was absolutely thrilled about my character. He was an Ork that was kind of a mutant. His physical stature was incredible small for an Ork and his intelligence was ridiculously high. He had been banished as a baby and was raised by a Heretek. The Heretek trained him to be a techpriest. He was heavily augmented with aumetic eyes and a vocoder replaced the lower portion of his face so that the only way you could tell he was an Ork was to remove his robes. He had an abysmal Weapons Skill, Strength, and Toughness, but a modest Ballistic Skill and a high Intelligence. The only person in the Rogue Trader crew who knew the truth about his identity was the Rogue Trader captain himself.

I created this character knowing full well that down the road he was going to be the cause of big trouble for our crew.

This was not the first time I had created a character with a really dangerous past, in our Deathwatch game I had a Black Shield character that had originally been a pre-discovery of Conrad Curze Night Lord who had become trapped in a Warp Storm for 10,000 years.

I love creating cool characters with nasty flaws or drawbacks.

Those both sound pretty cool...

Though the 'ork' sounds like a gretchin. Small, weak, intelegent, better at ballistic skills. A grot hero, like the Red Gobo from Gorkamorka. Sounds really cool overall.

I've kinda been facinated by gretchen anyhow, I once wanted to make an entire army of Gretchen, with just a few enslaved orks... Like the 'warboss' would be a Nob (or something of the like) with the Gretchin warboss riding on his shoulders and with leashes and chains to guide him like a horse drawn carriage.  

Pirate Santa

Sexy of Hearts

72,925 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Love Machine 150

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:04 pm
Alright, look, don't use 'you gotta spend XP for gear' as a thing. It's just bad form. As for their whole 'always armed to the teeth' problem, have that backfire. I mean, they're walking around like that, so the Arbites may be stepping in to deal with em. Also, have the Inquisitor 'keep it low key'. Or, ya know, the whole 'where are they getting the gear'?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:07 pm
Raganui Minamoto
Alright, look, don't use 'you gotta spend XP for gear' as a thing. It's just bad form. As for their whole 'always armed to the teeth' problem, have that backfire. I mean, they're walking around like that, so the Arbites may be stepping in to deal with em. Also, have the Inquisitor 'keep it low key'. Or, ya know, the whole 'where are they getting the gear'?

Example:

One of the characters spent a lot of XP on his medical skills and talents.

They were visiting a pirate base and there were vendors selling slaves and the hypno indoctrination chips to program them as you see fit. One of the players looked over the goods and realized that these hyno chips to teach skills were very cheap and asked if he could buy some. Soo... sure, you can buy a few. what ones you want? 'Lets see... these medical ones' he wants to buy medicae, +10, +20, talented Medicae (+30), master churgeon, and (there was one other).

That would instantly piss off the medic who had spent thousands of XP making himself the best medic possible, if anyone could suddenly be as good (or almost as good) as him for the cost of a good pair of boots.

I told him he could buy those skills for the listed price (1 wealth), but he would need to spend XP to actually learn them.

You saying that I should just let them pay a little bit of money for all the skills they want?

Why would somebody spend XP on a talent or skill when they can just buy the gear that gives it to them and then buy their characteristic stats another +5.  

Pirate Santa

Sexy of Hearts

72,925 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Love Machine 150

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:22 pm
Alright, see, now you're bringing stuff not in the core game into this. My argument was for core gear not some way for them to get elite advances.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:56 am
Raganui Minamoto
Alright, see, now you're bringing stuff not in the core game into this. My argument was for core gear not some way for them to get elite advances.

It is in the core game. Well I guess the Hypno indoctrination tapes arent... but the Bionic Heart is, that gives +1 armor, and the sprint talent. 2 characters already bought the sprint talent, maybe I should give them the unnatural toughness +1 instead? (so it would basically give a person +2 against damage) Or maybe Hard Target? No, that's another talent that can be bought. But you can't buy unnatural toughness, so maybe letting them pay money for unnatural toughness is better than for talents.  

Pirate Santa

Sexy of Hearts

72,925 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Love Machine 150

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:45 am
OP, you're only making things worse! rofl  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:00 am
Pirate Santa

It is in the core game. Well I guess the Hypno indoctrination tapes arent... but the Bionic Heart is, that gives +1 armor, and the sprint talent. 2 characters already bought the sprint talent, maybe I should give them the unnatural toughness +1 instead? (so it would basically give a person +2 against damage) Or maybe Hard Target? No, that's another talent that can be bought. But you can't buy unnatural toughness, so maybe letting them pay money for unnatural toughness is better than for talents.

Bionic Heart gives armor, which can still be reduced by Penetration. And it only gives Sprint if it's Good Quality, I don't remember any item offhand that gives Hard Target, though.

Now, I'm going to be straight with you. Players cheese the system as much as they are allowed. It's up to the GM to rein them in or find creative ways to use their 'strengths' against them. You can go 'you can't find this here' or change modifiers on items. If they keep easily getting gear that's upsetting you, then that's a bit more your fault. Also, making them have to spend XP to get or keep gear means they're less likely to try other things, cause they can't spend their XP on skills for other tactics if they have to spend it to make sure they suddenly don't have the gear to keep doing what they're 'good' at.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Pirate Santa

Sexy of Hearts

72,925 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Love Machine 150
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:37 pm
Raganui Minamoto
Pirate Santa

Bionic Heart gives armor, which can still be reduced by Penetration. And it only gives Sprint if it's Good Quality, I don't remember any item offhand that gives Hard Target, though.

Now, I'm going to be straight with you. Players cheese the system as much as they are allowed. It's up to the GM to rein them in or find creative ways to use their 'strengths' against them. You can go 'you can't find this here' or change modifiers on items. If they keep easily getting gear that's upsetting you, then that's a bit more your fault. Also, making them have to spend XP to get or keep gear means they're less likely to try other things, cause they can't spend their XP on skills for other tactics if they have to spend it to make sure they suddenly don't have the gear to keep doing what they're 'good' at.

Hmm, I don't think 'you can't get it here' will work since the tech priest makes it himself.

It's not 'gear' that I charge XP for, it's talents and skills.

If the talents and skills come from the gear, then I still charge XP for them, but not for the gear. If they wanted the best quality heart, that's one thing and they have it, but the way I charge them XP to buy their talents the Heart would only be giving an excuse to buy Sprint (or whatever talent replaces it if they already have that talent)

Do you think that buying the gear should maybe make skills and talents less expensive XP wise though? I mean, it is giving them an IC reason for why they have them.

If one of your players lost an arm, and wanted a grav suspension installed in his new one, would you give him the 'bulging biceps' or 'auto stabilized' trait?

Would you charge them a discounted price for the talent?

Make them spend XP normally?

Or just tell them that it's flavor text, and that having an anti grav unit doesn't actually have any in game effects?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:28 pm
Oh, so the Techpriest has a full machine shop to make the items and all the rare parts and pieces, and blueprints?

As for the 'bulging biceps' thing, there is a frame people can wear that they hook a gun into that helps with that, but it has drawbacks. There are also these rare upgrades (forget actual rarity) called... Suspensors or something, that is built into a heavy gun that gives auto-stabilized or something.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Roleplaying Area

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas