Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Llewellyn authors?? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:17 pm
Nuri
If that book does get better, let me know. Perceptions of the body is incredibly interesting to me, particuarly those that celebrate the body.

Have you got a copy of Yasmine's Crafting the Body Divine?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:33 pm
TeaDidikai
Nuri
If that book does get better, let me know. Perceptions of the body is incredibly interesting to me, particuarly those that celebrate the body.

Have you got a copy of Yasmine's Crafting the Body Divine?

Not yet. I'll remember to throw that on my amazon list.  

maenad nuri
Captain

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:53 pm
Nuri

Not yet. I'll remember to throw that on my amazon list.
It's great. She did break it up into two books though. Crafting the Body Divine and Sexual Ecstasy and the Divine.

Between the two, I think they do an amazing job.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:38 am
TeaDidikai
cerridwen_uk
TeaDidikai
So... in short- it's not the publisher, but the authors one should avoid.

Pretty much, it's just unfortunate that for the most part Lewellyn seem to condone Fluffy Bunnyness lol

I wonder how'd they feel if bunnies looked like this?

User Image

Blessings

Cerri x
I think condone is an inaccurate assertion. They profit from them. Furthermore- they provide accessable paganism. Most of the content isn't invalid until it begins to use terms they have no right to use.

Well, that's true, condone was the wrong word...lol It was late biggrin it was the first word that came to mind. And yes, they do profit from it. I mean there are some good books out there, if you can find them. It's just unfortunate that you end up parting with cash inorder to find out which is which.

Cerri x

dark_reki

Dapper Gaian

2,000 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Hygienic 200

dark_reki

Dapper Gaian

2,000 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:40 am
Nuri
emmfullness
Alrighty then. I do believe I'll check out reviews on their books from several sources before making any investments if that's the case. That and read through the first few pages as it seems to unmask itself in the initial ramblings of the authors. Thank you all for your advice. heart heart

I tend to read the 5-star reviews and the 1-star reviews when choosing a book. Helps me figure out what some people see as the major problems.

Same here...helps alot smile

Cerri x

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:23 am
cerridwen_uk

Well, that's true, condone was the wrong word...lol It was late biggrin it was the first word that came to mind. And yes, they do profit from it. I mean there are some good books out there, if you can find them. It's just unfortunate that you end up parting with cash inorder to find out which is which.

Cerri x

Not really. That's why Barns and Noble has a 30 Day return policy.  

TeaDidikai

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:01 am
TeaDidikai
phoenix_shadowwolf
not to mention some of the old 'classics' that are pretty good to have for your average occultist: three books of occult philosophy, john dee's diaries. i can't remember too much else right now though.
They still have the publishing rights to Agrippa's works? confused
last time i saw the book was probably 3 months ago, so i'd say yeah.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:55 pm
phoenix_shadowwolf
TeaDidikai
phoenix_shadowwolf
not to mention some of the old 'classics' that are pretty good to have for your average occultist: three books of occult philosophy, john dee's diaries. i can't remember too much else right now though.
Huh. I could have sworn Wiser had picked them up.  

TeaDidikai

tanwyn_llewellyn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:39 pm
The biggest problem with Llewllyn is that they require their authors to publish so frequently, they end up rushing and publishing trash, rather than taking the time to write something well researched and insightful.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:26 pm
hey just so long as Jefferson Mills isn't publishing grimories...

Wait. they aren't, right? Right?  

Operation Shoestring

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:03 pm
Ahem:

Quote:
Llewiccan RedeCode

1. All paths are valid, except the ones that have rules.

2. Wiccans never use curses, except on really mean people who totally deserve it.

3. The Threefold Law affects everyone, whether they believe in it or not; however, this is not to be taken to mean that Hell will affect everyone whether they believe in it or not.

4. The most important thing for Witches in the public eye to do is to disavow any connection with Satanism.

5. Karma can be summoned, directed, intensified, or averted entirely by saying the right words at the end of your spells. Except by mean people, who can't do any of these things.

6. Sex and Blood are the forbidden topics.

7. No religion, sect, lineage or coven is allowed to restrict its membership in a way that might be considered discriminatory. But they don't have to allow Satanists.

8. All magickal groups are called "covens."

9. Initiation is a formal ceremony, like a graduation. All it means is that you're officially recognized by a group.

10. All Mysteries are available to everyone. Drugs or certain physical conditions are never necessary.

11. Everyone's experiences and opinions are equally valid, equally correct in all ways. Except the Satanists, who are Christians in denial.

12. The experience, skill and wisdom of a witch is measured by how many books she has read. Writing a book on Wicca (or a related topic) puts one ahead of any amount of reading or practical in-circle experience.

13. You may be as mean as you want to anyone who violates the code... it's their Karma.

Additional Bonus rule; insert after any one or three of the rules above:
Never again the Burning Times!!!!

(Kopyleft 2004. All rights reversed; reprint what you like.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:11 am
There hasn't been a decent Llewellyn book since 1993, when they published Kveldulf Gundarsson's Teutonic Religion.

Llewellyn authors write to spec -- they are told what to write, and any deviation from what Llewellyn wants is rejected. The company targets the lowest common denominator. Why do you think there's so many "Wicca 101" books in their catalog?  

Dreamwhisper

11,125 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100

Tsuzuki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:56 pm
TeaDidikai
phoenix_shadowwolf
TeaDidikai
phoenix_shadowwolf
Huh. I could have sworn Wiser had picked them up.
Agrippa's public domain. I could publish him out of my bedroom if I wanted to.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:54 am
Dreamwhisper
There hasn't been a decent Llewellyn book since 1993, when they published Kveldulf Gundarsson's Teutonic Religion.

Llewellyn authors write to spec -- they are told what to write, and any deviation from what Llewellyn wants is rejected. The company targets the lowest common denominator. Why do you think there's so many "Wicca 101" books in their catalog?

Not necessarily. You just have to find the right authors. Yes, they are few and far between because Llwellyn doesn't care about quality as much as they care about quantity (after all, they're the largest New Age publisher out there). But, it's not all crap. Sometimes with thier books you've got mostly decent stuff with crap sprinkled in it. That doesn't make it a worthless book, it just means you need to take it with a grain of salt.

Thorsons seems to have a better selection of books, but I admit I have a slight distaste for them also since they publish Fiona Horne domokun  

MaddLlama

bobz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:26 am
Nuri
Ahem:

Quote:

wonderfully insightful discord

(Kopyleft 2004. All rights reversed; reprint what you like.)

Wonderful rofl
Personally I'd be of the opinion that all books have SOMETHING in them that's useful, not every book would be perfect at first draft and I get the impression that a lot of the time new-age publishers accept books before they've been properly refined. Even then there is a few occasional grains of gold or silver, even if it's only a paragraph here or there or a single insightful point jumping out of a chapter of static.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff